Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
13 Pages123>»
New Welcome Center Policy
Brian
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 3:57:16 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Hi All,

As many of you know, we have begun a new campaign to increase the population of Utherverse. We have been laying the foundation for this campaign with upgrades to our front pages, emails, network and informational systems (such as our tutorial videos and join processes).

We still have many additional components that are forthcoming, including increased outreach and advertising to a variety of communities, and the long-awaited new social center.

Already we have seen the size of the community begin to grow, and we have received feedback from new users - particularly as we have observed new users in focus-group-type environments.

One major observation that has been revealed is that new users are often ignored or even actively treated in a hostile manner by a handful of longstanding and/or VIP members. This treatment has even occurred in the Welcome Center, which is specifically designated as the region for all new users to begin their discovery of the Utherverse.

We are planning to return the Welcome Center to an atmosphere that is warm and welcoming for our newest users. Therefore, I put forward the following proposed plan, upon which I welcome your feedback and suggestions:

- We will be opening a "Learning Center" which will be a clone of the Welcome Center, and in which all users are invited to hang out and enjoy.

- The Welcome Center will become a region that is restricted to only new users, as well as volunteers (in both their Vol and primary accounts), and applicants to the volunteer program (so that we can assess how these applicants interact with new users).

- Any other user who wishes to gain access to the Welcome Center will be invited to send an email to World Ops. These users will have to agree to a set of Guidelines outlining how they should be acting in the WC and how they should behave toward our new users. Permission will be given manually to those users who do agree to these guidelines, and they will continue to have access to the Welcome Center as long as they are essentially kind and treat new users well.

- Access will be revoked for the WC region if a member is found to be abusive towards a new user in the WC.

- All prior restrictions on WC are going to be lifted (meaning, no restrictions for furry/neko...)

I'm hopeful that with this new system in place, we will see more community spirit and friendliness brought into Utherverse as we steadily grow with new users who will turn into upstanding members of our community.

Please feel free to comment in this thread.

Cheers,
--Brian
51 users thanked Brian for this useful post.
_Jessi_ on 10/27/2012(UTC), Pluush_Puussy on 10/27/2012(UTC), lil_sheila on 10/27/2012(UTC), Stefan on 10/27/2012(UTC), Demonix75 on 10/27/2012(UTC), seren_DOZ_MM on 10/27/2012(UTC), Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/27/2012(UTC), Tipp on 10/27/2012(UTC), Mr_Rasa_MM on 10/27/2012(UTC), Dangren on 10/27/2012(UTC), TheFennecFox on 10/27/2012(UTC), XXX_Untamed_XXX on 10/27/2012(UTC), Kellie_W on 10/27/2012(UTC), FA_Shannoy_FSW on 10/27/2012(UTC), Jieling on 10/27/2012(UTC), SweetGuy on 10/27/2012(UTC), SaphyreRose on 10/27/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 10/27/2012(UTC), JJOM_MZ on 10/27/2012(UTC), Katrin_Vesuvino on 10/27/2012(UTC), Jana on 10/28/2012(UTC), ChynaBlue_Gs on 10/28/2012(UTC), Candy4love_C2 on 10/28/2012(UTC), MidnightFairy on 10/28/2012(UTC), Swampie on 10/28/2012(UTC), MarlaMay on 10/28/2012(UTC), MrRock on 10/28/2012(UTC), Todd73NJ on 10/28/2012(UTC), _Ga_Peach_ on 10/28/2012(UTC), 1O5thToJoin on 10/28/2012(UTC), Ms_Romana_HA_7 on 10/29/2012(UTC), xX_YB_Xx on 10/29/2012(UTC), x_Trikki_x on 10/30/2012(UTC), Xaoz on 10/30/2012(UTC), _Moonie_ on 10/30/2012(UTC), Saucywild on 10/30/2012(UTC), MuonGold on 10/30/2012(UTC), Sno_Blossom on 10/31/2012(UTC), KingRambo27_RAD on 11/2/2012(UTC), LadyEilowny_MM on 11/3/2012(UTC), BabyJade_SoA_EC on 11/5/2012(UTC), IneezLicious on 11/7/2012(UTC), Yuufa on 11/7/2012(UTC), KatipoSpider on 11/7/2012(UTC), SUGAAR on 11/7/2012(UTC), VG_NBS on 11/8/2012(UTC), JulieWow on 11/10/2012(UTC), MsNoir on 11/12/2012(UTC), DJ_Semena_EVG on 11/19/2012(UTC), Arcaz_Kanarek on 12/18/2012(UTC), LoneRide_ULIKHYI on 12/20/2012(UTC)
_Ga_Peach_
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:08:47 PM(UTC)

What a great idea!
One question, though
I have a JoP vol account, which isn't allowed in the WC. Would I still qualify for my primary account to enter, or would I need to apply to WO? Wasn't sure if volunteer accounts meant only Guides, Ambassadors, Protectors, etc. who already work with new members.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. --Oscar Wilde

Just because you wear a Persecution Hairshirt and carry a bucketful of bat-shit crazy does not give you the right to be offended on someone else's behalf.
2 users thanked _Ga_Peach_ for this useful post.
Tigress_Gina on 11/9/2012(UTC), LoneRide_ULIKHYI on 12/20/2012(UTC)
Pluush_Puussy
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 4:12:42 PM(UTC)

ThumpUp

The veteran members should be branching out anyway. +1

24-Hours Merengue, Reggaetón, and Latin Pop
Karol G, Plan B, Natti Natasha, Daddy Yankee, Wisin Y Yandel

http://stream.zeno.fm/rce1tqt68f8uv
http://stream.zeno.fm/uz78uguksp8uv
With no commercials, no fee, no sign-up, and no rules!
3 users thanked Pluush_Puussy for this useful post.
Swampie on 10/28/2012(UTC), Hot_Liquor on 10/30/2012(UTC), VG_NBS on 11/8/2012(UTC)
Kris_157
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 5:59:23 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Brian;1105450 wrote:
Hi All,

As many of you know, we have begun a new campaign to increase the population of Utherverse. We have been laying the foundation for this campaign with upgrades to our front pages, emails, network and informational systems (such as our tutorial videos and join processes).

We still have many additional components that are forthcoming, including increased outreach and advertising to a variety of communities, and the long-awaited new social center.

Already we have seen the size of the community begin to grow, and we have received feedback from new users - particularly as we have observed new users in focus-group-type environments.

One major observation that has been revealed is that new users are often ignored or even actively treated in a hostile manner by a handful of longstanding and/or VIP members. This treatment has even occurred in the Welcome Center, which is specifically designated as the region for all new users to begin their discovery of the Utherverse.

We are planning to return the Welcome Center to an atmosphere that is warm and welcoming for our newest users. Therefore, I put forward the following proposed plan, upon which I welcome your feedback and suggestions:

- We will be opening a "Learning Center" which will be a clone of the Welcome Center, and in which all users are invited to hang out and enjoy.

- The Welcome Center will become a region that is restricted to only new users, as well as volunteers (in both their Vol and primary accounts), and applicants to the volunteer program (so that we can assess how these applicants interact with new users).

- Any other user who wishes to gain access to the Welcome Center will be invited to send an email to World Ops. These users will have to agree to a set of Guidelines outlining how they should be acting in the WC and how they should behave toward our new users. Permission will be given manually to those users who do agree to these guidelines, and they will continue to have access to the Welcome Center as long as they are essentially kind and treat new users well.

- Access will be revoked for the WC region if a member is found to be abusive towards a new user in the WC.

- All prior restrictions on WC are going to be lifted (meaning, no restrictions for furry/neko...)

I'm hopeful that with this new system in place, we will see more community spirit and friendliness brought into Utherverse as we steadily grow with new users who will turn into upstanding members of our community.

Please feel free to comment in this thread.

Cheers,
--Brian

Hey there Brian, I was just thinking about you actually.

Well really I have been thinking about you and this post a lot. I had composed a rather long response tossing in congratulations and suggestions throughout your OP, but the forums timed out on my post, so please forgive me if this one seems a bit rushed.

1) I'm sure this is nothing new to you, but the reason your WC is as full of people as it is, is because it is full of people.
- Most of U3D is filled with underutilized clubs VWW's to be more specific, an ongoing issue that began with the introduction of Zabys. As a member I find it rather pointless to stand in a mostly empty dim so I find myself going to where the people are. Most of the time that would be the WC.

- I go in both my main account (Kris_157) and in various alts, to chat, play, laugh and even help out when needed. I do this because I love your product and find your new members to be the most compelling asset you will ever have. I am sure that I am not alone in these thoughts.

- By having a socially active region in a vast sea of emptiness you will by laws of statistics find people who "greenie hunt" or simply take the random invites overly seriously. I understand that this is an attempt to minimize the lure, but even the method you've outlined has backdoors around it. Send my SC profile an email and I can address them if you really want to know.

2) Your Transport Centers, (TC) are also a mess. This would be the second place new members find, and they are filled with people who may my normal caustic posts look like grandma's kisses on a regular basis.

- A way to minimize this would be a time limit in the TC, but that would be almost impossible to implement in a truly functional manner.

- Additionally you could make it so that VIP members are required (not just able) to log into their Zaby, or a pre-generated Zaby made by U3D. While this would have the effect of emptying out even more of the already vastly empty regions, you would remove vast amounts of drama for new members.

3) If you wish to open up the Learning Centers, please have a cadre of Staff/Volunteers to man them. If, for instance, a basic member outside of what is deemed to be "New" were to need help, and didn't know how to find a Vol using search, wanted to go to the WC for help, who would help them? Hopefully they wouldn't receive the "You do not have permission to enter this region" script and instead would be sent to your LC, but as a VIP my word on how to assist on problems would only carry so much weight, far less than anyone with a badge (and to a new member a WG badge holds just as much weight as your Volunteers do).

4) Lets talk about the design of the WC for just a moment. Back in 2008 when I joined it was warm and welcoming just in the color tone. Warm yellows, grass, sky, even a old jukebox. Now it is cold, brushed steel and florescent lighting. When I think Welcome Center I'm far more apt to think of the old bar I go to every week than I am the waiting station of the underground.

Lastly, and this is just an aside. If you wanted to draw old members away from the WC instead of pushing them out (carrot over the stick approach) bring back Uthervese sanction events on the streets. Get them to want to leave the WC, and they will, force them to leave and they will find ways of getting back in.

I on the other hand look forward to sending an email to WO, and hope to get a quick response one way or the other.

Congratulations again on your growing membership. I won't lie and say that I am often confused at the direction you are steering, but then I won't lie and say I don't often find myself enjoying the ride even if I don't know where the Captain is leading us.
EDITED BY MODERATOR wrote:
Finally, thank you ALL for all of your support. I mean that. *hands the torch to Kris*

We never believed in the same endpoint, but I think our vision of the forums is similar enough.
6 users thanked Kris_157 for this useful post.
Tipp on 10/27/2012(UTC), XXX_Untamed_XXX on 10/27/2012(UTC), _Valerie_HDL_ on 10/28/2012(UTC), Swampie on 10/28/2012(UTC), MarlaMay on 10/28/2012(UTC), GYPSY_KDS on 11/1/2012(UTC)
Mr_Jim_IE
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:21:56 PM(UTC)

Well Brian I salute you!!!ThumpUp

This has been a long time coming. Isn't that the reason the VWW was created for all the veteran users to create their own world,clubs & stores? Since, becoming a member of Utherverse a few years ago the Welcome Center was always for the new members and that was all that was in there along with the Volunteers. So, what caused it to become a club..without a club name?
You can go in there at anytime during the 24 hour day and 80 to 85% are VIPs and veterans at that. So, this is a right step in the direction of educating and making new members comfortable with Utherverse. Most of the new members now in there, feel insecure due to all the VIPs taking over the chat and if they do ask something, it's very unlikely the questions get answered or the Volunteers are constantly scrolling their chat window up.

I think this move will put more emphasis on the teaching & learning on both the new member & the Volunteers. It will also give the chance for all the new Volunteers to get used to the 1 on 1 training that is necessary to make the comfortability for both and to make the new member feel that they are the only one and they will open up more with their questions & asking for tours.

Of course, there still will be the occasional " How do you s*x" and a few others questions of that side of things, but most of them once you explain a few things and get them in pm, they are all like everyone else.."just new"
6 users thanked Mr_Jim_IE for this useful post.
Pluush_Puussy on 10/27/2012(UTC), Swampie on 10/28/2012(UTC), x_Trikki_x on 10/30/2012(UTC), BabyJade_SoA_EC on 11/5/2012(UTC), VG_NBS on 11/8/2012(UTC), JulieWow on 12/19/2012(UTC)
Deacon_Bloodwyn
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:25:41 PM(UTC)

**I do have a question Brian. After a patch is done I often end up in the Welcome Center, I have heard this is so the patch goes into effect even though I have my own transport it automatically defaults to the Welcome Center after any patch is issued. Is this now going to change due to this new policy. I only spend a minute in there then zip off to my own transport as soon as I make landing in the WC. Any info you have on this will be greatly helpful. Thanks!**
JASE_BLOODWYN
Jase's Profile!
6 users thanked Deacon_Bloodwyn for this useful post.
Rand on 10/27/2012(UTC), SweetGuy on 10/27/2012(UTC), Tipp on 10/27/2012(UTC), Anna7 on 10/27/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 10/27/2012(UTC), Hot_Roxy on 10/28/2012(UTC)
Rand
#7 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:38:40 PM(UTC)

Ditto on Godric's question. I too land in WC after a repair.

Otherwise, a good idea I think Brian. I'd almost say drop the transition through Transport for new members leaving the WC. Send them straight to RLC street, or even Virtual Vancouver.
Rand Has Left The Building...

...but apparently The Learning Zone and RaD Catalog get to stay open! And yes the TLZ remains Free!

3 users thanked Rand for this useful post.
Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/27/2012(UTC), Dangren on 10/27/2012(UTC), Anna7 on 10/27/2012(UTC)
Mr_Jim_IE
#8 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:42:51 PM(UTC)

Sorry, I finished before my brain got through moving. You also said, that members that are interested in becoming Volunteers will have access? There are so many and far between, that a VIP will help out new members with answers in the WC..it's all mostly " hugs sissy..hugs daddy" & get the f**k away..or constantly saying "please move your in my spot" How hard is it to just move a little, they never think that the member may be stuck..geez.

What could you say about the increased amount of VIPs applying for volunteer team just to get access back in to hang back out in there.
Will it be upon approval of them making it on the volunteer team? or all they have to do is to apply and they get access back in?
The idea for VIPs to ask permission through WO is a good idea, but I figured that won't happen.Dancing

2 users thanked Mr_Jim_IE for this useful post.
x_Trikki_x on 10/30/2012(UTC), BabyJade_SoA_EC on 11/5/2012(UTC)
SweetGuy
#9 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 6:48:39 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Mr_Jim_IE;1105503 wrote:
Sorry, I finished before my brain got through moving. You also said, that members that are interested in becoming Volunteers will have access? There are so many and far between, that a VIP will help out new members with answers in the WC..it's all mostly " hugs sissy..hugs daddy" & get the f**k away..or constantly saying "please move your in my spot" How hard is it to just move a little, they never think that the member may be stuck..geez.

What could you say about the increased amount of VIPs applying for volunteer team just to get access back in to hang back out in there.
Will it be upon approval of them making it on the volunteer team? or all they have to do is to apply and they get access back in?
The idea for VIPs to ask permission through WO is a good idea, but I figured that won't happen.Dancing

The idea is that those applying for access to the welcome center will have to abide by a set of guidelines in order to remain. If a person does gain access, then at some point they begin behaving against those guidelines, their access will be revoked.
7 users thanked SweetGuy for this useful post.
Pluush_Puussy on 10/27/2012(UTC), Dangren on 10/27/2012(UTC), TheFennecFox on 10/27/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 10/27/2012(UTC), Kandie_lick on 10/28/2012(UTC), Cretox on 10/29/2012(UTC), JulieWow on 12/19/2012(UTC)
_littleGirl_
#10 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 7:18:54 PM(UTC)

i mean.... thats a great idea... but why not save this for when the new client comes??? just wondering?!?
Brian
#11 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:28:19 PM(UTC)

Medals:
__DivaDesigns__;1105510 wrote:
i mean.... thats a great idea... but why not save this for when the new client comes??? just wondering?!?

Sure, like that's ever going to happen Rolleyes lol

Which is to say that we actually have a test client running in our office now, but we are still looking at Dec. 21 before we start to release the test client to selected users. In the meantime, we're starting to ramp up the marketing now so that we've got momentum for the release. This is just part of that program, and hopefully it'll make new users feel more welcome off the bat.

Other answers: I do not know why you end up in WC after patch or repair. I will look into getting that fixed, but I'm glad it was pointed out before we changed permissions; and I will need to discuss with WO the details about which Vols are automatically getting WC permissions.

Cheers,
--Brian
9 users thanked Brian for this useful post.
_littleGirl_ on 10/27/2012(UTC), Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/27/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 10/27/2012(UTC), Anita_65 on 10/28/2012(UTC), Kandie_lick on 10/28/2012(UTC), Candy4love_C2 on 10/28/2012(UTC), Swampie on 10/28/2012(UTC), seren_DOZ_MM on 10/28/2012(UTC), _Ga_Peach_ on 10/28/2012(UTC)
_littleGirl_
#12 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:35:08 PM(UTC)

Brian;1105525 wrote:

Which is to say that we actually have a test client running in our office now, but we are still looking at Dec. 21 before we start to release the test client to selected users. In the meantime, we're starting to ramp up the marketing now so that we've got momentum for the release. This is just part of that program, and hopefully it'll make new users feel more welcome off the bat.

Other answers: I do not know why you end up in WC after patch or repair. I will look into getting that fixed, but I'm glad it was pointed out before we changed permissions; and I will need to discuss with WO the details about which Vols are automatically getting WC permissions.

Cheers,
--Brian

AWESOME Smile(looks at the calendar) less then 2 months..... does the happy dance )

but my input on the " other question" happens to me n the hubby as well, run repairs and we end up in the Welcome Center.... thought that was normal??? don`t mind me, im blonde, lol
1 user thanked _littleGirl_ for this useful post.
Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/27/2012(UTC)
Kris_157
#13 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:40:29 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Brian;1105525 wrote:

Cheers,
--Brian

Most likely it's due to reset to default causing the members to land in the WC.
Finally, thank you ALL for all of your support. I mean that. *hands the torch to Kris*

We never believed in the same endpoint, but I think our vision of the forums is similar enough.
3 users thanked Kris_157 for this useful post.
XXX_Untamed_XXX on 10/27/2012(UTC), _littleGirl_ on 10/27/2012(UTC), Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/27/2012(UTC)
SweetGuy
#14 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:43:01 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Brian;1105525 wrote:

Cheers,
--Brian

It's the current solution to get new members in the WC for assistance. The client assumes you are a new member and puts you there on your very first log in.
3 users thanked SweetGuy for this useful post.
TheFennecFox on 10/27/2012(UTC), Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/27/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 10/27/2012(UTC)
Dangren
#15 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:53:09 PM(UTC)

Location: Is wondering if Cleveland, Ms will become another Ferguson, Mo
I think this is a great idea!! Unlike too many, I came here with a general idea of what to expect as a new member last year. After seeing help tips posted on the client at log in, it was a cringing experience seeing how many treated people coming in with no knowledge of chat room environments, much less 3D worlds.

I see it as a huge plus that'll have a hand in leaving first timers with an experience they'll gladly tell others about.

In 2 words, can anyone name a Nobel Peace Prize
awardee who will leave POTUS with the Middle East
in the enormous mess it is today?

A vote for Hillary is to keep that rolling.
1 user thanked Dangren for this useful post.
VG_NBS on 11/8/2012(UTC)
Dangren
#16 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:57:07 PM(UTC)

SweetGuy;1105530 wrote:
Brian;1105525 wrote:

Cheers,
--Brian

It's the current solution to get new members in the WC for assistance. The client assumes you are a new member and puts you there on your very first log in.

Current? It's been happening to me since I started last year - each patch removes log in cookies which has always dropped me in the WC after having to agree to the terms again . . and again . . .and again . . .

I've never complained because, even though I don't log in world that much, there are times I chance upon some cool people in there when I do.

3 users thanked Dangren for this useful post.
Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/27/2012(UTC), Kandie_lick on 10/28/2012(UTC), IneezLicious on 11/7/2012(UTC)
Kris_157
#17 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:59:30 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Dangren;1105533 wrote:
SweetGuy;1105530 wrote:
Brian;1105525 wrote:

Cheers,
--Brian

Current? It's been happening to me since I started last year - each patch removes log in cookies which has always dropped me in the WC after having to agree to the terms again . . and again . . .and again . . .

I've never complained because, even though I don't log in world that much, there are times I chance upon some cool people in there when I do.

Next time make it a point to UNCHECK the restore to default settings box on the repair.

1 user thanked Kris_157 for this useful post.
Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/27/2012(UTC)
Dangren
#18 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:02:11 PM(UTC)

Kris_157;1105535 wrote:
Dangren;1105533 wrote:
SweetGuy;1105530 wrote:
Brian;1105525 wrote:

Cheers,
--Brian

Next time make it a point to UNCHECK the restore to default settings box on the repair.

Thanks! I've seen that but, have never paid any real attention to it (it's tap . . tap and in).

SweetGuy
#19 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:24:14 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Dangren;1105533 wrote:
SweetGuy;1105530 wrote:
Brian;1105525 wrote:

Cheers,
--Brian

Current, as in until any possible changes he may be considering go into effect.
The_Wraith
#20 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 9:34:28 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Brian;1105525 wrote:

Other answers: I do not know why you end up in WC after patch or repair. I will look into getting that fixed, but I'm glad it was pointed out before we changed permissions;
Cheers,
--Brian

In the Utherverse Cache files is a config file which reads

<config>
<system>
<property name="FirstUse" value="False" />
<property name="patchRevision" value="3557" />
<property name="tosRevision" value="42" />
</system>
<settings>
<property name="Language" value="English" />
<property name="Orientation" value="Standard" />
<property name="ShowStartup" value="False" />
<property name="TipCount" value="35" />
<property name="UserName" value="***Name Removed***" />
</settings>
</config>

I'm guessing doing a repair replaces this file with the default and changes the FirstUse setting back to True

Click banner to go to site.
Donations are always welcome :-)
2 users thanked The_Wraith for this useful post.
Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/27/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 10/27/2012(UTC)