Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
13 Pages<12345>»
New Welcome Center Policy
Kris_157
#41 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:44:45 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: SweetGuy Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Kris_157 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: ___Incubus___ Go to Quoted Post
Question: For how long would a "New member" be considered a new member, one, two, three logons, a week, a week? When is UV going to decide the person has had enough time in the WC and they won't be able to gain access again?

Honestly, I think that is part of the discussion Brian is asking for.

Well in that case, I'd say no less than a month.

Yeah, I know we are all kinda heavy users here on the forums, and that seems like a really long time, but lets remember there are some who only come in for a few hours a week if at all.

I'm sure my total in world time could be measured at under 20 hours a month, and I'm addicted, how much time do you think someone who comes in less would need to think up questions to ask let alone find answers for them?

What about in hours? What would you think would be a fair time? For instance: 20 in world hours (if that sort of timer is possible with this client) or should it be higher?

While normally I'd say yeah just marking it in hours logged into the WC (if such a timer could be implemented) I see the instant backlash at someone who's been there less than a weekend partying for a full 20 hrs and only has 2 days of baked time, while someone who's been here for nearly two months and only has 5hrs of baked time.

Neither way limit in hrs, or limit in days from the creation of the profile would "feel" fair.

Granted there is still the chance of petitioning WO to stay in the WC, but then we're just rebuilding the problem that WO is trying to correct.

Long ago in the past there was talk about having to pass a test to leave the WC. I'd suggest we stay far away from mandatory tutorials here, and I don't think you'd be able to find people to take and "optional" test to never return to the WC.

I really don't think there could be a "fair" way to do this.
EDITED BY MODERATOR wrote:
Finally, thank you ALL for all of your support. I mean that. *hands the torch to Kris*

We never believed in the same endpoint, but I think our vision of the forums is similar enough.
1 user thanked Kris_157 for this useful post.
SEC_ANGIE_SHNMC on 10/31/2012(UTC)
Brian
#42 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:49:22 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I don't think people will create sock accounts just to get into the WC. Everyone who asks WO and agrees to be nice to new users (essentially) will get permission. If they then are not nice to the new users, permission will be removed.

It seems like a lot of trouble to go through to create a new account just to abuse new users. Plus, the new account would be basic, so no PMs to use to abuse anyway.

--Brian
2 users thanked Brian for this useful post.
__Autumn__ on 10/27/2012(UTC), Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/28/2012(UTC)
SaphyreRose
#43 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:50:57 PM(UTC)

Medals:

I like the "back in the day" welcome center with a pool, grass, and kind of a "Cheers" like atmosphere inside.

I've had some fun conversations with new people in the welcome center, and some interesting ones through google translator LoL. It's always interesting to see how the conversation goes. I made the mistake of saying caliente via translator this summer when we had hot weather in Chicago...that means something else in spanish lol, not 'weather' hot.
Sometimes how things come out when using a translator can be very good stand up ....

I'd like to see the welcome center with a warmer appealing visual atmosphere. I do agree right now it is quite stark. Makeover? Smile

R

To bring your relationshipto the forums? Go ahead skip along behind a Roman soldier to the Arena; tie on your neck a steak & lay next to starving lion! Better luck!~SR There is no marvel in a woman learning to speak, but there would be in teaching her to hold her tongue~ER I won because I actually made a float - and didn't leave it as a truck.
4 users thanked SaphyreRose for this useful post.
Kris_157 on 10/27/2012(UTC), mysterylilac on 10/27/2012(UTC), Jana on 10/28/2012(UTC), Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/28/2012(UTC)
Kris_157
#44 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:52:54 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: mysterylilac Go to Quoted Post
They can not police and control and who wants to be in welcome center will create a new account and will be in the welcome center.Cause I already know people who got permanent ban but still in RLC.

I can hardly understand why some people waste their time in welcome center months and years long in RLC? I never returned to welcome center again once after left it when I was a newbie.All these precautions will be for 3- 5 people who made welcome center their home in virtual world.Probably these people have some obsessions about WC and I am not a psychologist who will be able to find the reason.

For the majority of members ,I don't think there is a problem about welcome center cause whenever I have to do a repair and landed at welcome center ,I see WC is almost totally empty.

Just to clarify a bit then.

I go to the WC having been here for a good while so I can help new members get their feet wet.

(no shup to the peanut gallery I actually do)

I found out when I first came in that it wasn't the guides that kept me coming back, but the people who were having fun around me.

Thinking of the Welcome Center as a classroom where you learn to dress your avi, some basic commands and then a boot out the door into the rest of the server is wrong headed at best.

If we are a social site as so many claim we are, then it is a place to start making friends, both with new members who got off the bus with you, and older members who you can lean on for help when the tour bus driver is out taking a leak, or however else you would like to twist the metaphor for "your favorite guide isn't on, and you don't feel like bugging someone who talks in tangerine text"
Finally, thank you ALL for all of your support. I mean that. *hands the torch to Kris*

We never believed in the same endpoint, but I think our vision of the forums is similar enough.
1 user thanked Kris_157 for this useful post.
Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/28/2012(UTC)
mysterylilac
#45 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:58:14 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Brian Go to Quoted Post
I don't think people will create sock accounts just to get into the WC. Everyone who asks WO and agrees to be nice to new users (essentially) will get permission. If they then are not nice to the new users, permission will be removed.

It seems like a lot of trouble to go through to create a new account just to abuse new users. Plus, the new account would be basic, so no PMs to use to abuse anyway.

--Brian

Well Brian normal people just leave welcome center in the shortest time and begins to explore the world , we are NOT talking about normal people cause "these" who we are talking about, prefers to" stay" in wc forever.

Besides a new account could be directly vip account which is possible.
1 user thanked mysterylilac for this useful post.
Anna7
#46 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 10:59:23 PM(UTC)

--Brian

Brian ok ill give you it will only be a very tiny percentage but it doesnt take alot to create a new account ask your Mods how many ding bat socks come to the forums Grin
Photobucket can go and get F#$%#D i dont deal with extortionists

1 user thanked Anna7 for this useful post.
SaphyreRose
#47 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:02:20 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I remember my first few days in rlc. I don't recall the welcome center, although I know landed there.

I ended up in Rude Main Street Region and JamesBond showed me around. I ended up going VIP after about 35 minutes and going on five years later, here I am.

I fell in love with the beach atmosphere, but later on I did start visiting the Welcome Center more. The idea of swimming was so cool to me. I do think that offers alot to do, don't have to wear a swimsuit, can jump right in with jeans!

R
To bring your relationshipto the forums? Go ahead skip along behind a Roman soldier to the Arena; tie on your neck a steak & lay next to starving lion! Better luck!~SR There is no marvel in a woman learning to speak, but there would be in teaching her to hold her tongue~ER I won because I actually made a float - and didn't leave it as a truck.
2 users thanked SaphyreRose for this useful post.
Kris_157 on 10/27/2012(UTC), lottapussygalore on 10/29/2012(UTC)
Anna7
#48 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:02:30 PM(UTC)

yeahhhh Bring back the old WC with the pool Smile

2 users thanked Anna7 for this useful post.
Kris_157 on 10/27/2012(UTC), Swampie on 10/28/2012(UTC)
mysterylilac
#49 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:05:25 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Anna7 Go to Quoted Post
yeahhhh Bring back the old WC with the pool Smile

Lol perfect idea but they are trying to get the old members out of WC; not in back!
Anna7
#50 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:08:57 PM(UTC)

Oh Oh Oh Oh Oh

Briannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Bring back the Old welcome centre for us old timers Grin as new region seperate from newbees WC

and you can keep the newbees out so we dont corrupt them Grin

im serious Smile

3 users thanked Anna7 for this useful post.
Kris_157 on 10/27/2012(UTC), Caty_Edenflower_ on 10/28/2012(UTC), SEC_ANGIE_SHNMC on 10/31/2012(UTC)
DreamMakersInc
#51 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:23:48 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Interesting idea!

I believe you are onto something here and like it.
I admit that I used to spend many hours in the WC because of the people who were regulars there. Being exceptionally shy I found I could be outgoing, funny and flirtatious--none of which I am by nature.
I discovered that teaching a new member how to dance was a rewarding experience as it was emotionally safe for me and helped another person learn the ways of Utherverse.
I believe this first experience is key to not only VIP conversion but also retaining that member.

I can see why you chose this method of exclusion rather than simply directing staff and vols to be more aggressive in dealing with those "Problem-Child" members who seem to enjoy harassing and mocking new members--I think it better that new members not be witness to someone being removed from region by a protector as they do now since it is a long drawn out melodramatic affair. I would rather see a troublemaker go POOF quietly after staff or vol get report of harassment or observing inappropriate conduct than to give the problem-child the drama and attention they crave.

Hopefully this plan has the desired effect.

"If he wasn't an insurgent, he sure is one now." SSG WIll James, 'The Hurt Locker'
4 users thanked DreamMakersInc for this useful post.
Jana on 10/28/2012(UTC), Deacon_Bloodwyn on 10/28/2012(UTC), Swampie on 10/28/2012(UTC), FA_Shannoy_FSW on 10/28/2012(UTC)
Rand
#52 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:35:06 PM(UTC)

dribs and drabs...

20 hours feels about right to me. Based on exactly nothing. As others have said, when I signed up I spent maybe a minute in WC before venturing forth.

The only downside at all I see to it --unless I put in for the special dispensation-- is I won't get to drop in there like I do every 6 weeks to say Hey to Rock, OMG and a handful of other vols who hang out in there due to their duty. It's literally the only time I see some of those old friends anymore.

Though I guess if I miss those chats enough I'll go to the slight bit of trouble to ask for entrance.

On the Repair forcing a landing in WC, it's always done this to me. Presumably by the config file getting reset. And honestly I prefer it since WC is often less laggy (fewer avatars) than Trans. And I *never* use the Reset to Default option. Mainly because I know the default is to be opted into Streaming, and that I keep at arms length.

Not sure how to fix that one without adding a new trigger, preferably on the server side of things. So that First Use means WC for those users with under 20 hours and LC for those over 20 hours. I don't think you'd want to put that in the config file, since that could easily be edited to gain entrance to WC again once the hours limit had been passed.
Rand Has Left The Building...

...but apparently The Learning Zone and RaD Catalog get to stay open! And yes the TLZ remains Free!

1 user thanked Rand for this useful post.
Anna7
#53 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:37:19 PM(UTC)

Whistle

vww://utherverse.vww/@32014/welcomecenter#_

Whistle

Mz_Mayhem_MM_SOL
#54 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:49:02 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: __DivaDesigns__ Go to Quoted Post
i mean.... thats a great idea... but why not save this for when the new client comes??? just wondering?!?

Sure, like that's ever going to happen Rolleyes lol

Which is to say that we actually have a test client running in our office now, but we are still looking at Dec. 21 before we start to release the test client to selected users. In the meantime, we're starting to ramp up the marketing now so that we've got momentum for the release. This is just part of that program, and hopefully it'll make new users feel more welcome off the bat.

Other answers: I do not know why you end up in WC after patch or repair. I will look into getting that fixed, but I'm glad it was pointed out before we changed permissions; and I will need to discuss with WO the details about which Vols are automatically getting WC permissions.

Cheers,
--Brian

hmmmmm so is it a lottery.......is it picked y how long your here?........how many posts u make?....how many people u can piss off in a month? lol.............jus asking cause hell id like to stick my nose in early and have a peak
Kris_157
#55 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:52:16 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Mz_Mayhem_MM_SOL Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: __DivaDesigns__ Go to Quoted Post
i mean.... thats a great idea... but why not save this for when the new client comes??? just wondering?!?

Sure, like that's ever going to happen Rolleyes lol

Which is to say that we actually have a test client running in our office now, but we are still looking at Dec. 21 before we start to release the test client to selected users. In the meantime, we're starting to ramp up the marketing now so that we've got momentum for the release. This is just part of that program, and hopefully it'll make new users feel more welcome off the bat.

Other answers: I do not know why you end up in WC after patch or repair. I will look into getting that fixed, but I'm glad it was pointed out before we changed permissions; and I will need to discuss with WO the details about which Vols are automatically getting WC permissions.

Cheers,
--Brian

hmmmmm so is it a lottery.......is it picked y how long your here?........how many posts u make?....how many people u can piss off in a month? lol.............jus asking cause hell id like to stick my nose in early and have a peak

Off topic, but I would think the best way would be to signup for QA

LINK

__Ally__
#56 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 11:53:16 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Changes come and changes go. As is in RL.

This is a very good thing. It may take some time before it is completely realized but it will benefit more than nano-fit.

I have learned in the 3 years of my membership that everything WO does has a purpose directly benefiting its members in a positive way.

They have to try something new in order to see if its going work right. Otherwise the whole thing would remain stale.
Boo hoo!

xoxox
Ally
3 users thanked __Ally__ for this useful post.
Pluush_Puussy on 10/28/2012(UTC), Swampie on 10/28/2012(UTC), lottapussygalore on 10/29/2012(UTC)
Viegoth
#57 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 2:26:53 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Godric_Vampir Go to Quoted Post

**Its not a repair that I am running however! This is after ANY patch that is issued by RLC. My transport does all the motions of the patch but when I actually log into and land I arrive at the WC. I don't know if anyone is receiving the same problem when a repair is run or not just that on patch Monday through Friday it happens that I land in the WC**

Is it only the first time after a patch or multiple? Sounds like something the techs need to look into.

**Only the first time after a patch. Once the patch is installed and on subsequent log ins, I go direct to my transport. I heard it is to actually pick up the patch you have to go to a WC first, I don't know how true that is though.**

I'd file a support ticket on it. It is only supposed to do that on the first install, or a repair which sets it back to default. Individual patches shouldn't do this.

**Tech support will be getting a lot of tickets on this as by reading the thread I am not the only one that this is happening to. It is most definitely on any patch that is handed down by the techs. A repair I can understand why as it clears the cache but a patch I just don't have enough technical knowledge about how UV patches do what they do (or don't in some cases). If a tech support person could give some insight as to why people default to the WC it would be a great help about this problem!**

I can tell you that this should never happen after just a patch. The config settings only get reset during a Repair. If your config is getting reset, then either something is clearing your cache at the time of the patch (which doesn't happen by default), or something is affecting your patch causing the update to fail and requiring a repair. The patch process alone does not reset this config file.

However, on the topic of the start location being reset to the Welcome Center... this does happen every time the client is repaired (by design). This does raise a very good point and it's something that should probably be addressed fairly soon. The solution to this is known and I'll be passing along my suggestions to those in-the-know.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

VC Designs (Viegoth Customs)

Profile Message

-
1 user thanked Viegoth for this useful post.
Mystery_X
#58 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:02:21 AM(UTC)

Medals:
To be honest, and I´m speaking only my thoughts. Im a UV Member for over 5 Years. So many changes and rules back and forth. We all stayed this. But what i totally dont understand. I ask a Staff or Community Moderator or what u name it. Guess what. At the end of the day its a Sponge with no Information. Instead of writing and writing and forcing rumors etc. Just Build a Site like for the Adult Convention. Tell us there ur Plans to were we go with Utherverse. Dates, not even specific ones. You told us on the Convention even SL is scared of what is coming. I dont see anything what they have to be scared off?! Rumors nothing more.

Clear Statements of a CEO i would prefer.
And a site with all Information and even a Sign Up process for Beta Tester for the New Client. <<I would be there, i f i would be accept is a other thing.

At the end i just hope this time Utherverse will make it right, fair for us

Thats my 2cent for the Sunday!
OMG I´m in Forums, how do I get in here and mainly how do i get out!
Dangren
#59 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:07:20 AM(UTC)

Location: Is wondering if Cleveland, Ms will become another Ferguson, Mo
Originally Posted by: Viegoth Go to Quoted Post

**Its not a repair that I am running however! This is after ANY patch that is issued by RLC. My transport does all the motions of the patch but when I actually log into and land I arrive at the WC. I don't know if anyone is receiving the same problem when a repair is run or not just that on patch Monday through Friday it happens that I land in the WC**

Is it only the first time after a patch or multiple? Sounds like something the techs need to look into.

**Only the first time after a patch. Once the patch is installed and on subsequent log ins, I go direct to my transport. I heard it is to actually pick up the patch you have to go to a WC first, I don't know how true that is though.**

I'd file a support ticket on it. It is only supposed to do that on the first install, or a repair which sets it back to default. Individual patches shouldn't do this.

**Tech support will be getting a lot of tickets on this as by reading the thread I am not the only one that this is happening to. It is most definitely on any patch that is handed down by the techs. A repair I can understand why as it clears the cache but a patch I just don't have enough technical knowledge about how UV patches do what they do (or don't in some cases). If a tech support person could give some insight as to why people default to the WC it would be a great help about this problem!**

I can tell you that this should never happen after just a patch. The config settings only get reset during a Repair. If your config is getting reset, then either something is clearing your cache at the time of the patch (which doesn't happen by default), or something is affecting your patch causing the update to fail and requiring a repair. The patch process alone does not reset this config file.

However, on the topic of the start location being reset to the Welcome Center... this does happen every time the client is repaired (by design). This does raise a very good point and it's something that should probably be addressed fairly soon. The solution to this is known and I'll be passing along my suggestions to those in-the-know.

The_Wraith #20 Posted : about 8 hours ago

There's why and, SG verified this not long after.
In 2 words, can anyone name a Nobel Peace Prize
awardee who will leave POTUS with the Middle East
in the enormous mess it is today?

A vote for Hillary is to keep that rolling.
agnyeshka
#60 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 5:27:11 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I think it would be a good thing to give basic members in the Welcome Center an option to open a Privat Message with other basic members that are in the region (not with all basic members on their friends list). It might help them make friends at the beginning and help them decide to stay here with us and upgrade in time. I believe it would also make them love hanging out there, which is a good thing because they can meet the Guides and other volunteers there, easier to learn about the important things, rules of the Utherverse, do & donts and so on.
Perhaps a limit of PMs they can have opened, like 3 for example at the same time. But give them a little bit of privacy, because it just helps to talk and make friends.

Thank you everyone Smile)
Agny
Kaffee: I want the truth!
Jessup: You can't handle the truth!

1 user thanked agnyeshka for this useful post.
Juno_EXC on 11/14/2012(UTC)