Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Lighting question
DJ_REBELCOWGIRL
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2020 11:37:29 AM(UTC)

prior to the new update i had a black out club were it was all dark in the club and i had the bar dance areas and the pole dance areas i had it were you could see the person dancing of course. since the major update it doesnt work no matter what i have tried to do. what is the trick to get it work again were the everything is blacked out unless i check the unlit or put a light script to make it bright lighted in that area???

here is what it is does to me now. it makes the avi ONLY dark but nothing else in the area. then when i make a new light box say over the bar dance area it then changes the whole area for the club to that new light and makes the dark avi area ( not what i want ) all bright again.

Anyone know the trick to work with lighting with new deco changes please email me directly at DJ_REBELCOWGIRL with a step by step how to fix it.

Blessed Be,
Rebel
marta
#2 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2020 3:01:13 PM(UTC)

Reinstall the old layout and enable "activate on load" with each trigger or prop with the "Light Area" script "Light Area (extended)" and "Light Source".

Instead if you add, replace or edit the light triggers, remember to always type a name of the illuminated zone in the "Name" box of the Light Script, because without it, each new trigger will conflict with the others and your problem will be unsolved.
4 users thanked marta for this useful post.
A_Seddy on 11/18/2020(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 11/18/2020(UTC), Cougar on 11/19/2020(UTC), LazTopCat on 11/19/2020(UTC)
DJ_REBELCOWGIRL
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2020 3:53:39 PM(UTC)

marta;1660978 wrote:
Reinstall the old layout and enable "activate on load" with each trigger or prop with the "Light Area" script "Light Area (extended)" and "Light Source".

Instead if you add, replace or edit the light triggers, remember to always type a name of the illuminated zone in the "Name" box of the Light Script, because without it, each new trigger will conflict with the others and your problem will be unsolved.

this doesnt help since i already replaced it and tried like 10 times multi dif ways. i would show you pictures in here to show you but i have no way of uploading pictures in here anymore and they would remove the links for yall to go since it. i will try and get pictures taken and put them in a special fold on my account.
marta
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 18, 2020 4:11:32 PM(UTC)

DJ_REBELCOWGIRL;1660982 wrote:
marta;1660978 wrote:

this doesnt help since i already replaced it and tried like 10 times multi dif ways. i would show you pictures in here to show you but i have no way of uploading pictures in here anymore and they would remove the links for yall to go since it. i will try and get pictures taken and put them in a special fold on my account.

what doesn't work? Enable "Activate on Load" or type the name in the Scripts Light box?

The thing that worries me is your "multi dif ways" because there is only one way to restore broken light triggers. Be careful that sometimes there are up to 3 scripts for each prop, so it's best to scroll through the prop editor list to look for the lights.

p.s.: I thank you for the courtesy of writing with a huge character, but it's not necessary because I still see well

2 users thanked marta for this useful post.
Cougar on 11/19/2020(UTC), A_Seddy on 11/19/2020(UTC)
DJ_REBELCOWGIRL
#5 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 4:27:55 PM(UTC)

1) i put my text in purple bold and large so it is easier for me to read what i type due to my vision because i shouldnt have to put contacts in 24/7.

2) when i say multi dif ways i have tried all the scripts rlc has to offer!!
light area
light area (extended)
light source
light strobe

3) all it does is turn my avi black and some of the props black but DOES NOT make the area black as i asked for it to be.

4) it was working fine before rlc did all the html5, chromium, and deco script updates over the last couple of years.

5) i am putting 6 screen shots of me in world to show what i am talking about as i said i would when i got the time to do it.

https://i.imgur.com/KbYI8GL.png
https://i.imgur.com/Tgrd8Bi.png
https://i.imgur.com/a6R7fgt.png
https://i.imgur.com/acfJIOU.png
https://i.imgur.com/eLSl1Dd.png
https://i.imgur.com/AGLqCfC.png

6) I want the whole club area a solid black and then the add another light box to make the areas i want to be bright to put a bright light area there but NOT change the WHOLE club back to bright light.

That is how i can break it down to my understanding. I had it set up just like i had in my smaller club and now that club is doing the exact same thing. I thought it was rlc glitching on my gammers computer but i checked my other computers i have and it is doing it on the same thing on those. so i thought it might be my net so had friends come check on there net and computers and it doing it to them also.

So how can i fix this with all the new deco code updates??? i love a total blackout club were the only color is off the glow sticks to see.

Thanks again to those who might know how to fix this in world now.

Viegoth
#6 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 4:50:32 PM(UTC)

Medals:
If you want everything in the club to be affected by lighting, you need to change all of the props in the lighted area so that they accept lighting effects.

There are 3 prop states (on the States tab) that change how a prop is affected by lighting.

1. Unlit (or Texture Unlit)
  2. Emissive
  3. Ambient

The most critical being the Unlit state. This must be unchecked, otherwise, lighting has no effect on the prop.

The other 2 (Emissive and Ambient) determine in what way and how much the prop is affected. The lower the setting, the more lighting will have an affect.

If you set these on all of the props in your club, then you should be able to get the effect you want, providing you have set up lighting properly. The lighting box must cover each prop you want to affect, and must be set to Activate on Load.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

VC Designs (Viegoth Customs)

Profile Message

-
4 users thanked Viegoth for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 12/16/2020(UTC), DJ_REBELCOWGIRL on 12/16/2020(UTC), A_Seddy on 12/17/2020(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 12/17/2020(UTC)
Chantal
#7 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 5:15:12 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Viegoth;1662895 wrote:
If you want everything in the club to be affected by lighting, you need to change all of the props in the lighted area so that they accept lighting effects.

There are 3 prop states (on the States tab) that change how a prop is affected by lighting.

2. Emissive
  3. Ambient

The most critical being the Unlit state. This must be unchecked, otherwise, lighting has no effect on the prop.

The other 2 (Emissive and Ambient) determine in what way and how much the prop is affected. The lower the setting, the more lighting will have an affect.

If you set these on all of the props in your club, then you should be able to get the effect you want, providing you have set up lighting properly. The lighting box must cover each prop you want to affect, and must be set to Activate on Load.

4. Diffuse
I setup a Discord for everyone!

Feel free to join at: https://discord.gg/4CgshQF

Need some help, visit: https://utherverse.fando...om/wiki/Utherverse_Wiki
Viegoth
#8 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 5:26:26 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Chantal;1662896 wrote:
Viegoth;1662895 wrote:

2. Emissive
  3. Ambient

4. Diffuse

From my own experience, Diffuse doesn't seem to make a difference in how a prop is affected by lighting.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

VC Designs (Viegoth Customs)

Profile Message

-
DJ_REBELCOWGIRL
#9 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 5:32:03 PM(UTC)

Viegoth;1662895 wrote:

2. Emissive
  3. Ambient

thank you hun. you rock. it doesnt look like it use to but i got it to work best i can with the new scripts the way they are.
Bad_Timmy
#10 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 5:48:31 PM(UTC)

Medals:
like this?

2 users thanked Bad_Timmy for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 12/16/2020(UTC), SaphyreRose on 12/17/2020(UTC)
DJ_REBELCOWGIRL
#11 Posted : Wednesday, December 16, 2020 10:36:35 PM(UTC)

Bad_Timmy;1662900 wrote:
like this?

yes like that
Paul_FW
#12 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2020 5:43:52 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Viegoth;1662897 wrote:
Chantal;1662896 wrote:
Viegoth;1662895 wrote:

2. Emissive
  3. Ambient

4. Diffuse

From my own experience, Diffuse doesn't seem to make a difference in how a prop is affected by lighting.

With Unlit unchecked as all previously stated as that is the equivalent of setting Ambient light to value 255 full white light, respectively Ambient and Diffuse settings allow the prop to react to either light sources created by the Light area settings and the Create light in the designated area. i.e.area in the trigger box or a lamp creating additional light assigned to the area by naming.

Always remembering that with 2D signs and flat props you can also use the Z scale on 2 dimensional props to increase or decrease how the prop reacts to light as well, smaller value=brighter larger value=darker reaction, obviously this can not be used on a 3 dimensional prop as it would alter the scale of the object, so if using a sign or brick wall for a floor/wall and scaling it up a lot it would react less, but can be compensated with the Z scale so reducing the need to patch work excessively, depending on texture stretch of course.
marta
#13 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:11:06 AM(UTC)

Paul_FW;1662919 wrote:
Viegoth;1662897 wrote:
Chantal;1662896 wrote:
Viegoth;1662895 wrote:

2. Emissive
  3. Ambient

4. Diffuse

With Unlit unchecked as all previously stated as that is the equivalent of setting Ambient light to value 255 full white light, respectively Ambient and Diffuse settings allow the prop to react to either light sources created by the Light area settings and the Create light in the designated area. i.e.area in the trigger box or a lamp creating additional light assigned to the area by naming.

Always remembering that with 2D signs and flat props you can also use the Z scale on 2 dimensional props to increase or decrease how the prop reacts to light as well, smaller value=brighter larger value=darker reaction, obviously this can not be used on a 3 dimensional prop as it would alter the scale of the object, so if using a sign or brick wall for a floor/wall and scaling it up a lot it would react less, but can be compensated with the Z scale so reducing the need to patch work excessively, depending on texture stretch of course.

Just to clarify the three light settings in the State menu

"Emissive": - The light that the prop has itself, that, light increases its own brightness, and it is white light ever. From 0 (not at all) to 255 (maximum). Note that this light 255 is equal to "Unlit".

"Ambient" is the intensity with each prop takes the "Ambient Color" light. With 255 takes light exactly as it was in the trigger light, and decreases to 0 which assumes no ambient light.

"Diffuse" is the intensity with each prop takes the "Color directional." Light, as the ambient light, but with directional light

I think depending on how you set up the light and the effects you want to achieve, all three adjustments are important.
Personally, in my works I need to adjust the "diffuse" too, both due to the fact that I adopt a lot of directional light and, as Paul said, is often necessary to adjust the intensity of illumination of the props on a small scale and for custom objects, this is very common.
4 users thanked marta for this useful post.
Paul_FW on 12/17/2020(UTC), SaphyreRose on 12/17/2020(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 12/17/2020(UTC), Cougar on 12/19/2020(UTC)
Paul_FW
#14 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2020 8:23:36 AM(UTC)

Medals:
marta;1662922 wrote:
Paul_FW;1662919 wrote:
Viegoth;1662897 wrote:
Chantal;1662896 wrote:
Viegoth;1662895 wrote:

2. Emissive
  3. Ambient

4. Diffuse

Just to clarify the three light settings in the State menu

"Emissive": - The light that the prop has itself, that, light increases its own brightness, and it is white light ever. From 0 (not at all) to 255 (maximum). Note that this light 255 is equal to "Unlit".

"Ambient" is the intensity with each prop takes the "Ambient Color" light. With 255 takes light exactly as it was in the trigger light, and decreases to 0 which assumes no ambient light.

"Diffuse" is the intensity with each prop takes the "Color directional." Light, as the ambient light, but with directional light

I think depending on how you set up the light and the effects you want to achieve, all three adjustments are important.
Personally, in my works I need to adjust the "diffuse" too, both due to the fact that I adopt a lot of directional light and, as Paul said, is often necessary to adjust the intensity of illumination of the props on a small scale and for custom objects, this is very common.

Thanks Marta Smile Was only on my first Cup of coffee ! yes Emissive is the white light Ambient and Diffuse relates to lighting created,, I try to use Emissive as little as possible, only in situations where nothing else is possible other than Individual, prop lighting placing a very small light trigger box area on the prop co-ordinates so as not to catch an avatar in the tiny light area if above avi waist height,, there is always a way, to avoid using Emissive Smile

EDIT: Forgot to say, when using the Z scale on 2D props for intensity of how the prop reacts to light settings, the Double side of any 2D prop does not react with lighting, always use the Single side of the prop facing Smile the Side that is visible when the prop is Pulled Smile
Bad_Timmy
#15 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2020 10:12:45 AM(UTC)

Medals:
DJ_REBELCOWGIRL;1662911 wrote:
Bad_Timmy;1662900 wrote:
like this?

yes like that

To get this effect I created a trigger box large enough to cover the entire room (including floor and ceiling), so you can't see the borders of the box anymore. In Scripts chose Light Area, name it "club" or something and set parameters to 0 across the board. This makes everything go pitch black. The only light source is now the glowie. Be aware this doesn't work on pre-set Utherverse club layouts. You have to create your own walls, ceiling and floor - which will react to the trigger box.

If you want some ambient light, just toggle up the settings from 0 to whatever you like. A real dark room might be something like 25.

You can then create props as light sources wherever in the room you'd like. Be sure to use the Light Area name you assigned when setting up the Light Source scripts on other props.
5 users thanked Bad_Timmy for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 12/17/2020(UTC), A_Seddy on 12/17/2020(UTC), SaphyreRose on 12/17/2020(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 12/17/2020(UTC), Cougar on 12/19/2020(UTC)
_Pearl_Necklace_
#16 Posted : Thursday, December 17, 2020 2:50:03 PM(UTC)

That is what i was doing but it wasnt turning the WHOLE club black as you can see in the picks. as i said it works and those that sceen it already loves the way i have it now and that to me is what counts.

Thank you everyone for helping and hope this will help others turn lights on and off in there places too.

Blessed Be,
Rebel
Bad_Timmy
#17 Posted : Friday, December 18, 2020 9:46:04 AM(UTC)

Medals:
_Pearl_Necklace_;1662935 wrote:
That is what i was doing but it wasnt turning the WHOLE club black as you can see in the picks. as i said it works and those that sceen it already loves the way i have it now and that to me is what counts.

Thank you everyone for helping and hope this will help others turn lights on and off in there places too.

Blessed Be,
Rebel

I can see the trigger box borders in your pictures. Which means it wasn't big enough to contain all your wall and floor props/textures. That's why they weren't dark.
3 users thanked Bad_Timmy for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 12/18/2020(UTC), A_Seddy on 12/18/2020(UTC), LazTopCat on 12/20/2020(UTC)
Barkeep723
#18 Posted : Friday, January 01, 2021 11:54:36 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Similar issue here. Props light fine, but avatars go black when entering the trigger box. How would I fix that? Thanks
DJ_REBELCOWGIRL
#19 Posted : Saturday, January 02, 2021 7:32:37 AM(UTC)

Barkeep723;1663751 wrote:
Similar issue here. Props light fine, but avatars go black when entering the trigger box. How would I fix that? Thanks

i know if you are setting it is any other color than the over all rlc does your avi will change to that color. now if you want it dark like i have and bright avi in other areas were the avi is bright and light you have to add another trigger box over that area to make the avi go light and bright. thats what i have to do anyways. now if you do not want your avi to change colors do not use a light script for the whole area and just use it over the prop you want to change color is the way i do it. i am sure others in here have way better ideas and information than i do since i still ask questions after 10 years and how the new deco scripts changed it from what it use to be to what it is now.

hope this helps barkeep. happy lighting!!!
Anhton_Novo
#20 Posted : Saturday, January 02, 2021 8:45:29 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Barkeep723;1663751 wrote:

Hello,

What are the lighting settings that you are using for that particular trigger box? Knowing the particular settings for this trigger box might help someone with resolving your problem.

Best,

Anhton
2 users thanked Anhton_Novo for this useful post.
A_Seddy on 1/2/2021(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 1/3/2021(UTC)