Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Sound Prop(s) vs Sign_01 prop
divingA_WnC
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2023 7:22:32 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Hello and good evening everyone,

some time ago a friend asked me to do a more detailed revision of the deco work in his club.

Among other things I found a long row of sound props, starting with the prop "Sound: Chimes Gentle Chord" over various other Sound: Chimes props up to "Sound: Crickets", to which all of them were always only images attached, all of these props were almost exclusively assigned with the script "Cached Web Image", rarely also sometimes "Clickable Cached Web Image".

I know there was already once a long time ago here in the forum the discussion about "Sound Prop vs Sign_01", unfortunately I could not find it anymore. Therefore I ask here now again all Deko experts:

What advantage could I get from displaying a picture (on the wall) with a Sound Prop instead of the Prop Sign_01?

I thank you in advance for all helpful answers, have all a healthy and successful new year, spiced with a good portion of fun,

divingA

He who does not submit to the laws, must leave the area where they apply. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
2 users thanked divingA_WnC for this useful post.
Never_Lost on 1/5/2023(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 1/6/2023(UTC)
BB_Licious
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 05, 2023 9:56:28 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I also remember there was a debate about it, however..I don't know for certain what advantage one would have over the other.

My personal preference has always been the sign. Many, many years ago when I started to learn deco, I was told to NEVER use Chimes as a sign. I don't remember the reasoning behind it but I *think* it was Rob from Ava World that told me. So, I don't know if it just adds unnecessary lag or if there's some other reason.

My reasoning behind it is, if you need to use a sign, use a sign...not chimes. Each exists for their own purpose.
Damn you, Addamant, for turning me into a forum whore! *shakes fist*

_Monk_: What does BB stand for?
_Monk_: Ball busting? hehehehe

3 users thanked BB_Licious for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 1/5/2023(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 1/6/2023(UTC), Never_Lost on 2/18/2023(UTC)
Pytch
#3 Posted : Friday, January 06, 2023 6:50:11 AM(UTC)

Medals:
It is not good practice to use the Sound props as simple signs because they load their wav sound into the game client regardless of setting the prop's State setting.

More info on the sound props here: https://utherverse.fandom.com/wiki/Ambient_Sounds
Can't get into RLC/UV? Look on the Utherverse Discord server. Here is an invite link: https://discord.gg/2zzfVJYSWA
The Uthers Discord (Xaeon and crypto focussed): https://discord.gg/94VUYbb7
7 users thanked Pytch for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 1/6/2023(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 1/6/2023(UTC), BB_Licious on 1/6/2023(UTC), DarkLadyJADE on 1/6/2023(UTC), Never_Lost on 2/11/2023(UTC), Tergiet on 2/15/2023(UTC), Cougar on 2/21/2023(UTC)
divingA_WnC
#4 Posted : Friday, January 06, 2023 7:43:57 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Hello BB_Licious,

we have something in common, unfortunately I only remember the title of the thread, but not what was put together there. So I'm like you and so far I still can not see any advantage in taking a sound prop as a replacement for the Sign_01.

Hi Pytch,

thank you for your very detailed, substantiated and explanatory reply. While I would have preferred to read something else, after all, your answer means a significant amount of extra work for me in auditing the club, the bottom line is that it is good to know.

All the best to both of you, divingA

He who does not submit to the laws, must leave the area where they apply. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
BB_Licious on 1/6/2023(UTC), Never_Lost on 2/11/2023(UTC)
Plixton_UA
#5 Posted : Friday, January 06, 2023 11:12:49 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I would say most instructional courses or forum threads would recommend using the sign_01 prop for ordinary textures.
I cannot recall the popular decorator that started using sound chime prop for texturing, but my professional opinion is to put that in the category file of "Prop Edit Myths".
3 users thanked Plixton_UA for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 1/6/2023(UTC), BB_Licious on 1/6/2023(UTC), Cassey on 2/12/2023(UTC)
MR_DIZ_DMU_DRV
#6 Posted : Friday, January 06, 2023 7:29:40 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I was told a long time ago to use chimes because it creates less lag. I have actually never noticed any difference in lag myself though when trying both.
1 user thanked MR_DIZ_DMU_DRV for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 2/10/2023(UTC)
Bad_Timmy
#7 Posted : Friday, February 10, 2023 11:25:00 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I use the various "chimes" props for a specific reason. I use them for the shadow textures I include in my properties to create depth and accurate lighting. The reason? Layers upon layers of sign props become difficult to differentiate and grab while editing. So I know I'm looking specifically for chime props if I'm editing or moving shadows around. As such, I've never noticed any increase (or decrease) in lag by using them. The props are all solidly in the "green".

6 users thanked Bad_Timmy for this useful post.
Plixton_UA on 2/10/2023(UTC), Never_Lost on 2/11/2023(UTC), MR_DIZ_DMU_DRV on 2/12/2023(UTC), MrsPurrs_Suns_56 on 2/12/2023(UTC), Celendra_S1 on 2/12/2023(UTC), divingA_WnC on 2/12/2023(UTC)
divingA_WnC
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2023 6:14:17 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Hello everyone,

having finally completed the audit of a large club on behalf of its owner yesterday, I'd like to have my say here again today in a little more detail.

When I visited the club for the first time after a very long time at the beginning of December, I had to live with a loading time of around 2.5 minutes. Given the performance of my computer and my fast internet connection, that seemed much too long.

So I approached the owner about it and after a few exchanged words, he gave me the order to carry out a complete revision of the layout. A little later I opened this thread here, continued to watch it while at the same time continuing to do the revision, at the time on the club's Christmas layout.

The Christmas layout was completely revised, I found around 250 sound props in it, all carrying common textures, most of them as pictures on the wall, but some extended to the size of complete walls.

Shortly after the day of the three kings, the now completely revised Christmas layout was exchanged for the regular one. This too contained a disproportionate number of sound props with ordinary textures attached, close to 300.

Of the 568 textures used in the club, unfortunately only 60 were correctly optimised, all the other 508 textures had to be optimised and exchanged together with their sources.

After some final tests last night, some of them with previously cleaned cache, the loading time on the first visit is about 24 seconds, on the second visit about 8 seconds due to changed file caching everywhere where necessary.

Of course, I am not in a position to say how much of the immense initial loading time is due to the, in my opinion, far too many sound props and how much of the loading time was caused by non-optimised textures. But the difference is really huge.

I have learned a lot from this for myself and can only recommend that everyone refrain from using too many sound props.

Have a good time, lots of success and fun, stay healthy, divingA

Cassey on 2/12/2023(UTC), Cougar on 2/21/2023(UTC)
Cassey
#9 Posted : Sunday, February 12, 2023 10:40:47 PM(UTC)

Medals:
divingA_WnC;1696712 wrote:
Hello everyone,

having finally completed the audit of a large club on behalf of its owner yesterday, I'd like to have my say here again today in a little more detail.

When I visited the club for the first time after a very long time at the beginning of December, I had to live with a loading time of around 2.5 minutes. Given the performance of my computer and my fast internet connection, that seemed much too long.

So I approached the owner about it and after a few exchanged words, he gave me the order to carry out a complete revision of the layout. A little later I opened this thread here, continued to watch it while at the same time continuing to do the revision, at the time on the club's Christmas layout.

The Christmas layout was completely revised, I found around 250 sound props in it, all carrying common textures, most of them as pictures on the wall, but some extended to the size of complete walls.

Shortly after the day of the three kings, the now completely revised Christmas layout was exchanged for the regular one. This too contained a disproportionate number of sound props with ordinary textures attached, close to 300.

Of the 568 textures used in the club, unfortunately only 60 were correctly optimised, all the other 508 textures had to be optimised and exchanged together with their sources.

After some final tests last night, some of them with previously cleaned cache, the loading time on the first visit is about 24 seconds, on the second visit about 8 seconds due to changed file caching everywhere where necessary.

Of course, I am not in a position to say how much of the immense initial loading time is due to the, in my opinion, far too many sound props and how much of the loading time was caused by non-optimised textures. But the difference is really huge.

I have learned a lot from this for myself and can only recommend that everyone refrain from using too many sound props.

I have found in RLC optimizing prop textures are a really big deal, as far as lag. I do not deco much in this virtual, but I do understand the RLC concepts, I think.

I have also learned not to rely on the Measure Props option so much. It is not a definitive representation of what is actually happening overall, in my opinion anyway.

1 user thanked Cassey for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 2/13/2023(UTC)
divingA_WnC
#10 Posted : Monday, February 13, 2023 3:34:40 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Cassey;1696717 wrote:
I have found in RLC optimizing prop textures are a really big deal, as far as lag. I do not deco much in this virtual, but I do understand the RLC concepts, I think.

I have also learned not to rely on the Measure Props option so much. It is not a definitive representation of what is actually happening overall, in my opinion anyway.

Hello Cassey,

thanks for reminding me about the Measure Props option, unfortunately I forgot to report on it in my previous post.

I have had some interesting experiences with this project, this club that I reported on, which coincide with yours.

When I started the Christmas layout of the club in December, I first switched on this option and went through the whole club, crawled into every remote corner. Except for two curtains blowing in the wind, all the numbers were green.

In the process, as mentioned above, 508 props were not optimised, the worst of all the props that really took the cake was a PNG texture with dimensions of 3197 x 2217 pixels.

Here is a screenshot from the file manager/explorer, sorted by dimensions, showing the worst 10 files I found.

And I would also like to mention this. Many textures were created as PNG, to my taste far too many that didn't need to be, because not a single pixel was invisible or transparent.

It is often said that JPG files often perform worse than PNG files. I cannot confirm this in every case either. On the contrary. Many of the pictures on the wall, showing portraits of club members with a name or inscription underneath, were clearer on my screen after conversion.

Prop maps such as cars, boxes or the most diverse furniture do not necessarily have to be saved as PNG. At least not as long as part of the prop is to be invisible or translucent.

Have fun and success, both in the game and in real life,

divingA

Bad_Timmy
#11 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2023 11:33:36 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Hello everyone,

Not sure why you ask questions, since you always have all the answers. That said, adding in the late fact that most all the images were not sized correctly or optimized tosses out your entire "theory" about using chime props, now doesn't it? We've all known for a decade that using mis-sized textures kills FPS, and optimizing (using Riot or similar) the correctly sized textures makes a huge difference in FPS and loading times. If your project was full of those bad textures that was obviously the problem.

Maybe someday you'll decide to use the lighting tools given to us a decade ago, and you can then teach us all how to use them properly. Or scale some textures properly for a realistic appearance. ;P
divingA_WnC
#12 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2023 4:05:53 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Bad_Timmy;1696774 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Not sure why you ask questions, since you always have all the answers. That said, adding in the late fact that most all the images were not sized correctly or optimized tosses out your entire "theory" about using chime props, now doesn't it? We've all known for a decade that using mis-sized textures kills FPS, and optimizing (using Riot or similar) the correctly sized textures makes a huge difference in FPS and loading times. If your project was full of those bad textures that was obviously the problem.

Maybe someday you'll decide to use the lighting tools given to us a decade ago, and you can then teach us all how to use them properly. Or scale some textures properly for a realistic appearance. ;P

Hello Timmy,

my initial question was very well justified, because in contrast to your unfortunately false insinuation, I had absolutely no answer to the question of what the advantage is of using the most diverse sound props as carriers for ordinary images.

The practice of using sound props as carriers for images is quite widespread. And I wanted to know why. What is not understandable for you about it?

And as my just-revised club clearly proves, obviously NOT everyone has known for decades what lag and miserably long loading times textures cause that have not been properly optimised.

Tergiet
#13 Posted : Wednesday, February 15, 2023 5:44:15 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Assuming both the sound props and the sign have 2 polygons. Then the sign should be better, since it doesn't have extra stuff like a sound file added to it. I've always used signs because of this.

Perhaps signs didn't exist when chimes were introduced, and that's why people used them. I didn't show up until 2010, so I don't know. But chimes as an image holder never made sense to me.

Ofc that all assumes that the sign prop doesn't have a thousand polygons for no reason at all. But I wouldn't be too surprised if that was the case because a lot of things never made any sense.

Properly sized images, using less animations and emitters, bots, etc seems to make the most difference.

1 user thanked Tergiet for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 2/15/2023(UTC)
Bad_Timmy
#14 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2023 11:25:09 AM(UTC)

Medals:
divingA_WnC;1696778 wrote:
Bad_Timmy;1696774 wrote:
Hello everyone,

Hello Timmy,

my initial question was very well justified, because in contrast to your unfortunately false insinuation, I had absolutely no answer to the question of what the advantage is of using the most diverse sound props as carriers for ordinary images.

The practice of using sound props as carriers for images is quite widespread. And I wanted to know why. What is not understandable for you about it?

And as my just-revised club clearly proves, obviously NOT everyone has known for decades what lag and miserably long loading times textures cause that have not been properly optimised.

In your opinion: "Of course, I am not in a position to say how much of the immense initial loading time is due to the, in my opinion, far too many sound props and how much of the loading time was caused by non-optimised textures. But the difference is really huge.

I have learned a lot from this for myself and can only recommend that everyone refrain from using too many sound props."

Based on? A property that was full of huge mis-sized, unoptimized textures that once corrected dropped the loading time to seconds?
divingA_WnC
#15 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2023 12:12:41 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Bad_Timmy;1696792 wrote:
In your opinion: "Of course, I am not in a position to say how much of the immense initial loading time is due to the, in my opinion, far too many sound props and how much of the loading time was caused by non-optimised textures. But the difference is really huge.

I have learned a lot from this for myself and can only recommend that everyone refrain from using too many sound props."

Based on? A property that was full of huge mis-sized, unoptimized textures that once corrected dropped the loading time to seconds?

Oh how lovely!!!! You got it! As far as possible, anyway!

I formed my opinion on:

- the basis of the general experience in the club layout concerned
- the experiences in the progressing work, after all I always made measurements after bigger progresses
and ... very very important !!!!
- what other users here in the thread, but also in conversations in the game told me about the topic

Bad_Timmy
#16 Posted : Thursday, February 16, 2023 11:58:10 PM(UTC)

Medals:
divingA_WnC;1696793 wrote:
Bad_Timmy;1696792 wrote:

Oh how lovely!!!! You got it! As far as possible, anyway!

I formed my opinion on:

- the basis of the general experience in the club layout concerned
- the experiences in the progressing work, after all I always made measurements after bigger progresses
and ... very very important !!!!
- what other users here in the thread, but also in conversations in the game told me about the topic

Well.. I, having nothing else to do, put 100 sign props into an empty zaby, each with the identical 512x512 optimized texture. And noted the FPS (about 45). I then deleted all the signs and put 100 chime props (an assorted variety), each with the same 512x512 optimized texture previously used on the signs. Any guesses as to the resulting FPS? The SAME, about 45. Took me about 10 minutes to find out definitively. So much for "opinion".
Pytch
#17 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2023 3:18:19 AM(UTC)

Medals:
It's not about FPS, it's about loading into the RAM and can effect the time it takes for the region to load. For example the Sound: Clock Ticking prop uses 1339 KB, by comparison the Sound: Ghost Talk prop uses only 50 KB.

The 32-bit client can use a max of 4 GB.
Can't get into RLC/UV? Look on the Utherverse Discord server. Here is an invite link: https://discord.gg/2zzfVJYSWA
The Uthers Discord (Xaeon and crypto focussed): https://discord.gg/94VUYbb7
2 users thanked Pytch for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 2/17/2023(UTC), Tergiet on 2/17/2023(UTC)
Bad_Timmy
#18 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2023 10:10:01 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Pytch;1696809 wrote:
It's not about FPS, it's about loading into the RAM and can effect the time it takes for the region to load. For example the Sound: Clock Ticking prop uses 1339 KB, by comparison the Sound: Ghost Talk prop uses only 50 KB.

The 32-bit client can use a max of 4 GB.

Agreed. Some of my properties do take a bit of time for new arrivals to load.
divingA_WnC
#19 Posted : Friday, February 17, 2023 3:44:12 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Bad_Timmy;1696807 wrote:
Well.. I, having nothing else to do, put 100 sign props into an empty zaby, each with the identical 512x512 optimized texture. And noted the FPS (about 45). I then deleted all the signs and put 100 chime props (an assorted variety), each with the same 512x512 optimized texture previously used on the signs. Any guesses as to the resulting FPS? The SAME, about 45. Took me about 10 minutes to find out definitively. So much for "opinion".

Okay, so you want to know exactly, well, you're getting it exactly now. As you can see very clearly from the screenshot, it's the 100 props you asked for in the experiment, all with the same identical texture, measuring 512 x 512 pixels, one of my textures for potting soil.

After installing the props, I logged out completely and logged back in, from the SC page "Properties" directly into the Zaby. Load time was 00:14:29 seconds, FPS fluctuates between 30+ to 31+.

After the test, all Sign_01 props, whose file caching was of course set to Forever, were deleted and replaced with 25 different sound props. I took the first 25 sound props in the list of all available sound props and cloned each three times. After that I logged out completely, deleted the RLC cache completely and logged in again. Needless to say, the file caching of the sound props was always set to Forever, the texture was the same.

Yes certainly, the FPS still fluctuated unchanged between 30+ and 31+. But now you may guess what loading time my computer needed with constant internet connection. The resolution, the correct answer comes more or less quickly after your answer to the much decisive question. I'll make the question easy for you and give you four different answer options. One of the four values is correct, decide for yourself.

Was the loading time

A) 00:14:29
B) 00:16:87
C) 00:25:11
D) 00:34:56

minutes long?

Enclosed are the screenshots to prove it.

Bad_Timmy
#20 Posted : Saturday, February 18, 2023 1:07:01 PM(UTC)

Medals:
So... this whole hoopla is over 20 extra seconds loading time the first time you visit a property? One extra 30 second commercial during your Law & Order re-run? Okie dokie pokie. Enjoy your marvelousness. I'll enjoy my properties full of chime props.