Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
How To Create 3D Objects
Tony
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 07, 2006 9:40:06 AM(UTC)

[size=14]Introduction[/size]

This tutorial points out all the issues you need to be aware of when creating a 3D object for the Red Light Center. This is not an extensive how to for modeling in 3DS Max.

Please note we are still working on adding functionality to the game to automate this process. Eventually you will be able to have you own place for objects.

To create objects for the game, you'll need the software Discreet 3D Studio MAX 7 or earlier version. Other 3D software packages are not yet supported by the review and export process.

Triangle Count

The first thing you need to have in mind when making a 3D object for any game is the number of polygons (triangles) that it will have.

Since all the 3D geometry is rendered in real-time, the more complex the geometry of the objects, the more time it will be needed to compute all the information. The result is the annoying screen lag that compromises the quality of the gaming experience. That's why the 3D objects in any game world need to be constructed with a limited number of polygons (triangles).

For Red Light Center, we would like for objects to have no more than 1000 triangles, keeping in mind that "less is better".

So, how to keep track of how many triangles our object has?

Inside 3D Studio MAX 7, there is an utility tool called "Polygon Counter". It can be acessed in the "Utilities" panel, clicking on the "More" button and choosing "Polygon Counter" from the list.

Grouping or Attaching

In order for the 3D objects to be exported correctly, they need to be either grouped together or attached to the same 3D mesh.

To group objects in 3D Studio MAX 7, simply choose "Group" from the "Group" menu. To attach all the objects into one single 3D mesh, select one mesh and on the Modify panel search for the "Attach" button on the list (good for both Editable Mesh and Editable Polys).

Pivot

For the object to be placed correctly in-game, we need to set its Pivot. Under the "Hierarchy" panel, click the "Affect Pivot Only" button to move or rotate the Pivot.

The object's pivot needs to respect this orientation:

• The Z-axis (blue) needs to be facing upwards
  • The Y-axis (green) needs to be facing back
  • The X-axis (red) needs to be facing right

We encourage you to start creating all the 3D objects in the "Top Viewport", that way the Pivot will already be in the correct orientation.

The Pivot needs also to be aligned to the center of object. Do this by clicking on the "Align" button and then selecting the object that you want its Pivot to be aligned to. The "Affect Pivot Only" button needs to be clicked for this. Then, just align the Pivot to the object's X and Y center.

It's also recommended to align the Pivot to the object's base (Z-axis).

[size=14]Texture Maps and Materials[/size]

Texture resolution

In order to optimize the system's memory usage, we use texture maps that have "power of 2" dimensions for both width and height. Some "power of 2" values are 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, and so on.

For Red Light Center's objects, we use a maximum texture resolution of 256 (width, in pixels) x 256 (height, in pixels).

We encourage you to test reducing gradually the object's texture resolution to check how much of the quality is lost. If the object uses just a simple tileable texture map, it could be reduced to 64 x 64 or lower. On the other hand, if it has something written on it, it might be necessary to raise the resolution to 128 x 128, or even 256 x 256.

The lower the texture map's resolution, the better (performance-wise).

File formats

The current game engine supports only JPEG and PNG image formats.

If the texture map doesn't contain any kind of transparency or translucency, such as wooden, plaster or plastic textures, then the recommended format is JPEG (uncompressed/maximum quality).

If the texture map does contain transparency or translucency, then use the PNG format.

Materials

All materials and maps assigned to the objects must be named inside 3D Studio MAX 7. The current game engine only supports Diffuse and Alpha maps, so it is mandatory to restrict the materials to only those two. Bump maps and Reflection maps, for instance, will not be rendered by the game.

Simply replace the "01 - Default" text with "<myobject>_MTL", where <myobject> is the name that best represents your object, such as "chair" ("chair_MTL"Wink, or "sofa" ("sofa_MTL"Wink. The Diffuse and Alpha (if necessary) also need re-naming. Replace the "Map #0" text with "<myobject>_MAP", for instance "chair_MAP", or "sofa_MAP".

The Lighting properties of the materials will not be interpreted by the game engine, so the "Specular Level" and "Glossiness" values should be left at their default values. To simulate these effects, we recommend using your favourite image editor software (like Adobe Photoshop or Paint Shop Pro) or baking the lights in the texture using the "Render to Texture" feature available on 3D Studio MAX 7.
Tony
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 07, 2006 9:44:26 AM(UTC)

For game engine efficiency please use multi-subobject materials for your models instead of separate materials.

Scale

We recommed creating the 3D objects using 3D Studio MAX's "Generic Units". This option is selected by default, but to make sure if 3D Studio MAX is using them, go to the "Customize" menu and choose "Units Setup".

To check if the object you're creating is scaled correctly, load up any of the files that are included below to be used as a scale reference.

If what you created appears too small, or too big, merge the reference file (File -> Merge) and simply use the "Scale" button to match the reference proportionaly. Don't forget to delete the reference file from your scene when you're done scaling.

Chairs and Couches

To work properly with the existing sitting animations all chairs, couchs or other sitting surfaces must be built to a standard height.

You can download this example chair 3DSMax file here. Use this chair as a scale and seat height reference when building any new furniture you want avatars to sit on in the game.

Beds

Like chairs beds in Red Light Center are also built to a standard size, height and orientation.

If you want to make a custom bed and have the sex animations work properly download this example max file as a size and orientation reference.

Uploading the Finished Product

We are still working on the functionality to support end user created objects in Red Light Center. The process will be similar to how avatar textures are handled now. You will be able to submit a .zip file of your models and textures via an interface similar to the My Textures link on your http://social.redlightcenter.com homepage.
sparliff
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 06, 2006 3:34:19 PM(UTC)

do u have to use 3d smax to make objects or can u just use the brushes in jed and make your own that way .....i have 3d smax but i have never really used it ....im used to using unreal ed for making maps but i cant convert the file to jed for some reason as it says the map version it to old ?
Tony
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2006 4:37:32 AM(UTC)

You can use Jed to create models but will be limited to cuboids as your base shape and will be explicitly tied to a particular map. For more complext geometry to create props that can be used in any map use 3DSMax.
Tony
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 03, 2007 1:29:21 AM(UTC)

hello!
i m noob in this work! i have some questions.I use 3ds max.
I try to have preview with objets of the game with this soft but it doesn t work  :'(
how can i have a preview for files like .msh? i search on the www, i found script, but only for change .3ds file to .msh file... i would be more easy to understand how it work with concret example from the game for me than the 2 exemples you give.
Thanks for your help and happy new year!