Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Some Helpful Hints
michael59
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:39:39 PM(UTC)

Medals:
This post is an attempt to try document some helpful hints for new users of RLC. � I haven�t been online a week yet, and I have discovered some basic challenges that every new user probably faces. �Parts of this information is scattered all over the forum. �

I have experience with help desk support for PC�s, so maybe I can put some of that knowledge to work here. �

This is not meant to be all inclusive as a good user manual would be or a replacement of the FAQs, but my goal is to get someone up and running quickly. �Just some helpful tips and observations I have made.

Get the right version of software/Know the differences between basic and VIP

First off, make sure you download the right version of the software. �If you want the VIP features, you need the full version. �The lite version is great to just get started, but you won�t get to have sex or enter any of the VIP areas of the game, nor have some of the advanced features in customizing your Avatar. �The DirectX installation can take some time, so be patient. � �I see some many new users asking for things that you can�t do as a basic and not knowing what they can do as a VIP. �Don�t really understand this one a it took me only 30 minute to realize I wanted a VIP membership.

Setup a profile with enough information

From what I can see, this is a much overlooked item. �If you don�t tell people about yourself, then you will not be getting the kind of people you desire to meet, plain and simple. �If I view a profile with nothing but n/a in every category, I don�t even engage that person in conversation. � The more information you provide the better chances someone who will be compatible with you will find you. �My profile is probably overkill, but I learned this lesson a long time ago. � Also, the time to look at a profile is BEFORE you start talking to someone. �I can tell when someone engages me in conversation, then looks at my profile (the view count goes up by one) then decides yuck, and then just walks away. �This has happened a lot to me in since joining and is very rude. �

Use the forum

There is a lot of good information in the forum. �I spent well over an hour just reading before I entered the game the first time. �There is a lot of good information here. �A great one page summary of how to use the keyboard is here: �

http://bb.redlightcenter.com/nph-YaBB.pl?num=1188369552

Use your guide

That is what they are there for, to help

Setting up your avatar

At first the customization screen can seem confusing. �Take your time and just experiment. �My suggestion is keep it simple at first, then go back and add things.

Learn basic navigation skills

Find a place in the game with some space and move around. �Using the one page help sheet in the link above, I was able to get the hang of moving around. �The biggest challenge I have had is sitting and standing. �I still jump up when I don�t want to, but am getting better just by practicing.

Understand where you are in RLC and act appropriately

Don�t expect to find a guy who will want to play with you if you are a guy in the straight dimension. � Don�t go into a passion room for female/female fun and expect much if you are a guy. �If you do, lay back and watch and don�t get up in their faces. �Don�t go to the locker room in the bathhouse in the Anything Goes dimension if you don�t want to see guy on guy action. �If you want a private place to play, find one. �Passion rooms are not private, so don�t get upset if you have an audience. �I could go on, but I think you get my drift. �Don�t be rude. �Treat someone as you would in the real world and walking up to someone and just saying �wanna fuck� is not the way to do it. �If someone is interested, they will let you know. � If they decline, don�t take it personal. �

Explore

I have found so many neat places to take someone for chatting, for walking on the beach, for sitting in a nice hot tub. �If you want to have a first class date, you need to find places to take that special person, and if you don�t know where the places are, you can�t take them there. �If you want to have sex, you need to know where to go.

Practice things first

If you choose to become a VIP, find a robot and just practice having sex a couple of times. �It took me a day just to figure out how to invite someone to have sex. � There are robots all over the site for learning. �I think it would have been a disaster trying sex with another person without having practiced first. �Or I would have had to ask a million questions of my partner, which is fine if they know that you are new and going to be doing that. � I am available to practice with anyone who wants to, both guys and gals, just look me up, no strings attached. �This would be practice and treated as such, and you know what they say, practice makes perfect. �Same can be said for dancing. �I found a location where I was the only one present and learned how to not step on anyone�s toes..I am a big guy and that can really hurt.
michael59
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 11, 2007 5:41:45 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Continued from above post

Learn how the chat window works and proper chat etiquette

I know I ignored several who wanted a private chat because I didn�t know how to click on the right tab.  Also give someone a change to respond to you.  They may be off looking at profiles and not even see you say hi.  But if after several attempts at a conversation with no response, don�t be a pest, just move on.   If you are talking to someone and you want to talk to someone else, be kind enough to say goodbye.  Just getting up and walking away is not really cool.  I have been walked away from in mid sentence several times.

You will get booted

The game will lock up and just throw you out.  Don�t get upset.  Just reload it and return to your location.  If someone just ups and disappears, don�t get upset.  They may be back.  Some users will just up and disappear on purpose.  Don�t take it personal.  

If this is well received, I will continue working and expanding on it.  Please let me know if any of this was helpful to you, or just a duplicate of stuff found elsewhere.
Yona
#3 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2007 11:25:58 AM(UTC)

Medals:
It's a nice post, with some useful tips. I have to correct some things you said Wink

Using the VIP version, does not mean you then can enter VIP only areas and can use the sex action. For both you still need to have upgraded to VIP. The VIP version also comes with all the user created textures, which you can not use on your own avatar when being a Basic member, but you can see them when others are having them on.

The name "straight" for one of the Orientation dimensions is a bit confusing, it's still from the days we also had a Gay dimension for a little while. You can also find gays and lesbians in "straight". I think it will be more clear when it would get another name, which hopefully will happen one day Wink

In the AnythingGoes dimension Basic and VIP members are allowed to "mess around", or "msh around" Wink with their avatar. Though basic members still need to have the intimate parts of their avatar's body covered.

Allthe keyboard commands you also find on www.yetanotherpaper.com/tricks Which is kept updated when changes happen.
michael59
#4 Posted : Thursday, September 13, 2007 5:49:11 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Thanks for the clarifications and corrections in the areas I was unclear or just plain wrong about.  Part of the reason I did this was writing things down always helps me.  

Any other feedback would be appreciated.
nadia06
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 16, 2007 8:19:08 PM(UTC)

just a random question or maybe i have not gone expoloring enough yet, but where can i find the beach?
Yona
#6 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2007 2:31:41 PM(UTC)

Medals:
When you go into Caddie's place, Wellness, left of the Aquarium, you will find a beach.
michael59
#7 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2007 4:03:54 PM(UTC)

Medals:
[quote author=nadia06 link=1189557579/0#4 date=1189999148]just a random question or maybe i have not gone expoloring enough yet, but where can i find the beach?[/quote]

And if you are like me, who still get's lost in RLC all the time,  here is a map.  I just happened to stumble on the beach quite by accident.
michael59
#8 Posted : Monday, September 17, 2007 4:06:16 PM(UTC)

Medals:
[quote author=nadia06 link=1189557579/0#4 date=1189999148]just a random question or maybe i have not gone expoloring enough yet, but where can i find the beach?[/quote]

And a picture of the front of Caddies.
morninghoneybee
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:32:18 AM(UTC)

This is a good thread so im bumping! Smile
jonpussylover
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 19, 2007 11:23:38 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Most of us "oldtimers" will help you if you have a question or you're lost and need help ....just ask. Believe me we have all been thru what you are experiencing and are willing to help if asked nicely.  You can even ask a VIP to PM you if you are embarrassed to ask the question in gen chat.