Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
New Female UV layout + models
Tony
#1 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2007 1:09:47 PM(UTC)

The new UV layout for the female avatars are ready. I am also including the torso, clothed legs and nude legs models with this release in .3ds and .obj format if you want to use a 3D painting tool. This new UV layout does away with shared and reflected arms and the side of the head. The new UV layout also attempts to make it easier for you to do over the shoulder straps and necklines. I am not going to update the older howto right now, if one of you is feeling frisky please do so to help the newest members get up and running. I have included a sample outfit to help visual the changes too.

This head layout shows how both sides of the head (ears excluded) are not reflected.

The torso layout shows that the arms are separate now. The patch to the right upper side is the neck.

For both male and female avatars in RLC there are 2 separate leg models (3 including mermaid tail). One is for being clothed, the other nude. The nude version has a separate area for the genitals. We did this so you could have higher resolution texture maps for pubic hair etc... and still keep the overall map size down. This UV layout changed the least.

Clothed

Nude legs

Genitals

If there is enough time before the next release it makes sense to have the genital patch texture be totally shaved. That way you could easily/quickly make a variety of designs...wedge, strip etc... as tattoo layers for pubic hair.

Below is a link to the middle LOD (level of detail) models for the female exported in both Wavefront .obj and 3DStudio .3ds format. These include the torso/head, clothed legs and nude leg models. This is the model you see the most in RLC.

http://www.dreamcontext.com/female/female.zip

I will leave it up to you if you want to reattach the torso to the different leg sets.

This new layout will go out with the next release of RLC. We are hoping to start the QA cycle tomorrow. We are also aware the texture submission website is not functioning. Hope to have that fixed soon.
DDCowgirl
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 06, 2007 5:58:31 PM(UTC)

YAY!! Ty Tony Smile
Freesea
#3 Posted : Friday, September 07, 2007 4:18:47 PM(UTC)

Cool, thanks...But not real crazy about the top back being reversed like that...

Could I have this female I tweaked boned and exported *grins

Tony
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 08, 2007 3:22:43 AM(UTC)

The short answer is no. I believe it is a long term goal to support user created/modified avatars.

UV layout is always an issue of trying to find the best compromise of how the 2D UV layout is mapped onto a 3D object.

The goals for this revision were:

1) Make the creation of shoulder straps/Tank Tops and necklines easier with purely 2D tools
2) Make the layout on all model LODs match as closely as possible
3) Stop using arm/head UV reflection so you can have unique arm/side of face artwork.

In terms of layout the fallout of making working on the neck easier are the seams and topology problems are shifted to the armpit area.

To get the best result you should use a 3D paint package like Deep Paint or Enzo Paint (zbrush?)
Freesea
#5 Posted : Saturday, September 08, 2007 5:51:47 AM(UTC)

Quote:
The short answer is no. I believe it is a long term goal to support user created/modified avatars.

Well one can only hope... Smile Viewing these models in granny viewer, they are base models direct from max 7. I do not use max, but the simpler and user friendly 3d program Milkshape, (8 years now) and plug ins are welcome for it...And the same mapping can be used that you have created for your meshes...As of now, even supporting some new attachments would be nice..hair, shoes..I understand low poly is needed...but variety is the spice of life... *grins
So if I made a few of these to fit the existing avatars, would you bone those for me? LOL
candipanties
#6 Posted : Saturday, September 08, 2007 9:50:53 AM(UTC)

ok, am I getttin this right?? i can download the textures and then i can try them out or are they not useable to us regular people yet>???  Sorry im a dummy at times , but im trying to learn a bit on my own!!! (yea, I know, yet another to screw up her avatar!!!) Tongue
#7 Posted : Monday, September 10, 2007 10:08:49 PM(UTC)

Steph
#8 Posted : Friday, September 14, 2007 2:16:30 AM(UTC)

[quote author=tony link=1189109387/0#3 date=1189246963]To get the best result you should use a 3D paint package like Deep Paint or Enzo Paint (zbrush?)[/quote]

Ha! I ain't paying out that kind of money to make textures, but then I don't make'em any more. Label me a trouble maker/malcontent but I don't like the new layout and working upside down. I thought you were just going to add an extra arm and refine some of the pixels in the layout.
#9 Posted : Friday, September 21, 2007 2:12:43 AM(UTC)

Shuqoyqa
#10 Posted : Friday, October 26, 2007 9:37:07 AM(UTC)

Franda, the "My Textures" thing isn't for your fellow users to download things. It's for staff to get them for inclusion in future patches days, weeks or months away.

Gimp's been doing alright for adjustments for me. It's getting the avatar to sit or stand still enough long enough to let me see which pixel hasn't been mapped corerctly that's the pain in the arse, as it was before.

Steph: alt-I T V is "flip vertical". You don't have to work upside down. Smile