Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
How To Create Tattoos
Tony
#1 Posted : Monday, October 30, 2006 1:15:25 PM(UTC)

This guide will show you how to make new tattoo texture maps for the avatars in The Red Light Center. We will be using Adobe Photoshop 7.0 but you could achieve the same results using the freely available image editing program The Gimp.

Adding a torso Tattoo

!!!!! Note that tattoos as a separate draw layer should make it into the next release of RLC (probably in mid November). This guide details what format we will want to have tattoos submitted for inclusion. As the functionality is added to the game I'll update this guide.

Tattoo's are handled the same way that avatar clothing is, as a separate draw layer over the skin. All tattoo's should be created with translucency, just like clothing textures. Below is our example file shown composited onto the skin. Here is the Photoshop file if you wish to examine it more closely.

In image above you can see the the skin and tattoo overlay. Notice that there is only a single arm in this image. For this model the single arm is used on both sides of the avatar. This was to save texture map RAM. What this means is that both arms will always have the same texture. Below is a shot of what the texture looks like in Photoshop when saved as a .PNG format file.

Alpha Channels/Layer Masks

The Red Light Center game engine composites the tattoo textures on top of the underlying skin textures. To make your tattoo show properly in the game engine you have to create an layer mask. In the layer mask of your tattoo texture fully white pixels are opaque and fully black pixels are completely transparent. Any values between full white and full black specify a range of transparency/translucency. Below is the layer mask for our tattoo. Due to the way alpha is used with PNG files in Photoshop you should keep a backup source file in Photoshop format and a 2nd in .png format that you will use in game.

Setting up the Layer Mask

To set up the Layer Mask to export your .PNG image with translucency properly is a bit tricky in Photoshop.

First you need to create a layer mask.

Activate the layer mask.

Copy the Alpha channel and then paste it into the Layer Mask

To see the result of the layer mask click on the Layer thumbnail.

Saving the image

To have you new texture show up in the game engine there are some specific guidelines you must follow:

You must save the image as a PNG format image file.
For torso textures the image must be 512 x 256 pixels in size.
You must make a unique name for your image, and it must start with "HMUT_".

Male textures are saved in the folder:

C:\Program Files\RedLightCenter\resources\male\textures

In Photoshop go to File->Save As and select PNG in the Format drop down list. For this example I saved the file as HMUT_tattoo.png

Testing your work in game

This portion will be updated when we have the functionality added to the game engine.

Sharing your new tattoo with the rest of the Red Light Center community

Once you have tested you tattoo and it is looking good you can submit your artwork to Red Light Center for review and inclusion in the game. If accepted by the Red Light Center your tattoo will be included in a release so that everybody can see and use your tattoos! Please don't submit artwork that is clearly copyrighted by someone as we won't be able to include it in a general release of the game. To submit your tattoo textures just click on the My Textures link on your http://social.redlightcenter.com home page.
NeoDemiGod
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 07, 2006 11:33:18 AM(UTC)

Hi �-

I have an image that I think I've done correctly, but I'm not seeing how to test it in the current verion of the world.

Is there are way for me to see if things are correct before I submit?

Thanks
Tony
#3 Posted : Friday, December 08, 2006 11:04:59 AM(UTC)

The next release of the game should allow you to test tattoos and underwear as a separate layer. For the current release you have to composite the tattoo onto a skin texture.
Fenyx
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 09, 2006 6:45:33 PM(UTC)

any idea on the next release date ?

I only joined today however ive done skinning for other games, and this all looks damn interested as theres pretty much no restrictions on the creativity ;D gonna definately have a go at some skins, just gotta get accustomed with the way you use png's Wink

Also is it possible to reskin the buildings atall ? the models are a nice resolution, but alot of the buildings look bland aswell as the flooring graphics. I know majority are here to see the avatars however you must admit that the scenery gives it the feel too Wink

Andy.

[Edit] on the world texturing, i sounded like an ass above, the way i meant it is that the maps feel a little wierd, some of the resolutions are nice and detailed, and some are lower rez and because of that, stick out as noticably blurry when next to a higher rez more detailed one
Viktor4243
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 20, 2007 12:32:31 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Has the process changed since this post was 1st created? I have tried the directions here and I cant make it work. I cant find my tat at all in the customize screen. I have tried as a tat alone and as a tat grafted to a body texture. File type is correct, Size is correct, and I saved with HMUT_ as the prefix ( and tried just about everyother prefix just to be safe...lol ). Am I missing something, or am I having tech probs?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thnx
BluJns
#6 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:08:42 AM(UTC)

Your tats dont show up in the customize folder, in the program.   Once you make the tat, save it to your male textures folder.   Then go to your myinfo file

C: ProgramFile/RedlightCenter/RedlightCenter.   there you will see a file called myinfo

Dbl clik that (open)  and go down to where it says

TattooTorsoMap=HMUT_xxx.png
TattooLegMap=HMUL_xxx.png

where the xxx are is where you put your file name in.  

then clik save, I minimize to the taskbar, and leave it till Im sure my tats are there.

Open the program your tats should be on.  

You can add and remove in program also, by opening that file when your in RLC

add your file names, the clik customize, dont change, customize show changes.

make sure your files are saved and named correctly.  such as,,  .jpg or .png

hope it helps.

blu
Viktor4243
#7 Posted : Thursday, February 22, 2007 1:36:31 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I owe ya one blu!! Worked like a charm! It could very well have been in the How To somewhere, and I just missed it. Thnx a ton for the help.

Vik
Shuqoyqa
#8 Posted : Monday, March 19, 2007 1:45:35 AM(UTC)

Having had success with jewellery, I'd like to add this here:

RLC scales textures. If you feed it a 128x128 pants texture you get larger 'pixels' on your avatar but it works fine, so for single-colour textures with no fancy detail you can save space that way. Conversely, if you feed it a 1028x1028 texture you will get finer detail and it will still be correctly mapped onto the avatar.

Clannad jewellery texture for illustration.

What this means to you tattooists is that you could fit all the detail you want into a much smaller tattoo by positioning it in a much larger empty rectangle.

I recommend NOT mixing large resolution with huge skin area coverage, partly because it'll **** people off taking up HD space and bandwidth and partly because there's an upload size limit on the forum.  Wink
ffabris
#9 Posted : Friday, April 27, 2007 6:05:03 PM(UTC)

[quote author=blujns link=1162239326/0#5 date=1172128122]Your tats dont show up in the customize folder, in the program.   Once you make the tat, save it to your male textures folder.   Then go to your myinfo file[/quote]

OK... so I do that, but then I am the only one who can see the tat. How does it get into the game itself, so that others see it?

Reading the first post, I guess I have to upload it as a texture - though that is confusing, since there isn't a "tattoo"type, just clothing.

Anyway, I uploaded it. So.... does that get it into the game? IF so, any guesstimate on how long that takes?

Fab
ffabris
#10 Posted : Friday, August 24, 2007 8:37:00 PM(UTC)

now that I should use thanks for the tips man
Patrick_kbh
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 4:23:45 AM(UTC)

Okay i dont know how to do this lol i tryed Follow the step but with no luck :S most of it breakes for me when i try find out how to copy Alpha Channels and then the rest Lol
Maroon5
#12 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 8:35:49 AM(UTC)

Cool I wanna tatto
TattooArtist
#13 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:23:01 AM(UTC)

instead of applying a layer mask is it possible to just adjust the levels or the layer opacity?
TattooArtist
#14 Posted : Wednesday, September 12, 2007 10:36:15 AM(UTC)

and also, what about ribcage tattoos? and or full body suits?

and, is there any way to have my own tattoos and not share them with everyone else?
Anna_Belle
#15 Posted : Friday, October 12, 2007 8:22:40 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I am looking for someone to create a custom tatoo for me.  If you are interested please message me.  Thanx a bunch!
Anna_Belle
#16 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2007 4:47:31 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I'm also interested in having a custom tattoo made. Please contact me, if interested.

thanks
Lady_Wolf
#17 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2008 1:04:14 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I do not have the programs to make a tattoo however, I do have the file for the tattoo I would like to have made.  If I could get someone to assist me with this, that'd be wonderful.  I'll give you many hugs, licks, and wolfie leg humps!
McTorres
#18 Posted : Monday, January 21, 2008 3:43:13 AM(UTC)

Medals:
[quote author=Lady_Wolf link=1162239326/0#16 date=1200902654]I do not have the programs to make a tattoo however, I do have the file for the tattoo I would like to have made. �If I could get someone to assist me with this, that'd be wonderful. �I'll give you many hugs, licks, and wolfie leg humps![/quote]

post the tat request on the textures and tattoo board and i'm sure one of the designers can help
gerd
#19 Posted : Saturday, February 09, 2008 2:28:33 PM(UTC)

[quote author=tony link=1162239326/0#0 date=1162239325]This guide will show you how to make new tattoo texture maps for the avatars in The Red Light Center. We will be using Adobe Photoshop 7.0 but you could achieve the same results using the freely available image editing program The Gimp.

Adding a torso Tattoo

!!!!! Note that tattoos as a separate draw layer should make it into the next release of RLC (probably in mid November). This guide details what format we will want to have tattoos submitted for inclusion. As the functionality is added to the game I'll update this guide.

Tattoo's are handled the same way that avatar clothing is, as a separate draw layer over the skin. All tattoo's should be created with translucency, just like clothing textures. Below is our example file shown composited onto the skin. Here is the Photoshop file if you wish to examine it more closely.

In image above you can see the the skin and tattoo overlay. Notice that there is only a single arm in this image. For this model the single arm is used on both sides of the avatar. This was to save texture map RAM. What this means is that both arms will always have the same texture. Below is a shot of what the texture looks like in Photoshop when saved as a .PNG format file.

Alpha Channels/Layer Masks

The Red Light Center game engine composites the tattoo textures on top of the underlying skin textures. To make your tattoo show properly in the game engine you have to create an layer mask. In the layer mask of your tattoo texture fully white pixels are opaque and fully black pixels are completely transparent. Any values between full white and full black specify a range of transparency/translucency. Below is the layer mask for our tattoo. Due to the way alpha is used with PNG files in Photoshop you should keep a backup source file in Photoshop format and a 2nd in .png format that you will use in game.

Setting up the Layer Mask

To set up the Layer Mask to export your .PNG image with translucency properly is a bit tricky in Photoshop.

First you need to create a layer mask.

Activate the layer mask.

Copy the Alpha channel and then paste it into the Layer Mask

To see the result of the layer mask click on the Layer thumbnail.

Saving the image

To have you new texture show up in the game engine there are some specific guidelines you must follow:

You must save the image as a PNG format image file.
For torso textures the image must be 512 x 256 pixels in size.
You must make a unique name for your image, and it must start with "HMUT_".

Male textures are saved in the folder:

C:\Program Files\RedLightCenter\resources\male\textures

In Photoshop go to File->Save As and select PNG in the Format drop down list. For this example I saved the file as HMUT_tattoo.png

Testing your work in game

This portion will be updated when we have the functionality added to the game engine.

Sharing your new tattoo with the rest of the Red Light Center community

Once you have tested you tattoo and it is looking good you can submit your artwork to Red Light Center for review and inclusion in the game. If accepted by the Red Light Center your tattoo will be included in a release so that everybody can see and use your tattoos! Please don't submit artwork that is clearly copyrighted by someone as we won't be able to include it in a general release of the game. To submit your tattoo textures just click on the My Textures link on your http://social.redlightcenter.com home page.
[/quote]