Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Running RLC in Virtual machine
teyss
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 02, 2008 3:54:14 AM(UTC)

Hello people... I need help here..

Suddenly my computer died. Because of an electric shock.... at least they said so... Untill I wait for new one (which can take time), I have only 1 option. To run RLC in virtual machine. Is it possible? What i need?

The host system is windows 2000 server, where is strictly forbidden to install anything, but it has installed VmWare and Virtualbox i think. How to do it?

Any help is very appreciated.
Sedna_SD1
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 02, 2008 4:25:42 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Hmmmm interesting question...not sure btw but you always can contact tech support (techsupport@utherverse.com)
"Start a huge, foolish project, like Noah…it makes absolutely no difference what people think of you." - Rumi

Grey___
#3 Posted : Thursday, October 02, 2008 4:43:37 AM(UTC)

Seems your windows 2000 machine uses an administration tool to limit normal user as to what they can do. Virtual machine software allows you to run an OS as a program in another operating system.

If you would install windows XP or Windows vista as a virtual machine then you should in theorie be able to run The RLC client.

However it all depends on a couple of things whether it will actually work or not:

It depends first on the hardware specification of your PC.
The hardware specifications must even be higher in a Virtual machine situation because now you will have 2 operating systems loaded into memory. The windows 2000 'host' OS + the Virtual OS XP or Vista that will run The RLC client.

It depends on how well your specific virtual machine software can "handle" or emulate your graphic card as "software" it might be work well with one type of graphic card and might not work with another one.

Also your administrator might have put limits as to how much of the system resources the virtual machine software is allowed to use. So even if your PC has the required hardware specifications to run the RLC client. Not all might be available in your virtual machine. The admin might have set it to for example only allow a max of 50 % CPU load and/or 40 % of memory and/or 50 % of your graphic card.

So I don't think anyone can answer your question properly, whether it is possible or not, without having a real good "hands on look" at you machine.
You ! can help fight childhood cancer and help cure many other diseases

The poor complain;
they always do,
But that's just idle chatter.
Our system brings rewards to all,
At least to all who matter

It is not about left or right, it is about right or wrong.
teyss
#4 Posted : Thursday, October 02, 2008 5:32:54 PM(UTC)

I asked what type the computer is and I got this:

1. Host pc is Dual something from Intel 2.x ghz (I forgot sorry - But is not dual core; maybe dual processor?), 3.5 Gigs of ram, 2x ethernet, Graphic cars w 512 mb or ram, os is windows 2000 server
2. Virtual or "guest" machine is : 1 x 2.x ghz procesor, 1 giga of ram, 8 giga of disc, 64 mb of graphic, os is windows XP

He said that in Virtual machine I can run and do what I want cause does not interfers with programs running on "host" computer. Only thing he said that he's not sure abt graphics.
_Techguy_
#5 Posted : Friday, October 03, 2008 12:06:25 AM(UTC)

Because of the heavy graphics demands of RLC it's probably going to be tough to run the Utherverse client inside a VM.

The best thing to do is simply try to install the client. The installation likely does a system check and will tell you if there is not enough (or appropriate) resources to run it.

If it DOES install by chance, the performance is likely to be limited. Sad
AngeL2343
#6 Posted : Friday, October 03, 2008 2:44:29 AM(UTC)

My laptop runs RLC fine with only 64MB and the other specs of the virtual machine seem fine.
As others have said it will be a case of trial and error if it works, but the specs seem fine to me.
teyss
#7 Posted : Friday, October 03, 2008 3:33:32 AM(UTC)

Ok, I hope I will be able to (try) install it tomorrow. What will happen I will tell. Maybe someone will need this too.

Thanks for answears.