Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
4 Part Basic Clothing Tutorial
Celendra_S1
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2022 4:54:27 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I originally wrote this tutorial for a friend who wanted to make some tattoos for himself. I don't know if he ever did, this might have scared him off LOL.

But I thought it might be useful posted here, as these questions seem to come up a lot and this is kind of a "starter overview" of the process.

Keep in mind that I am mostly self-taught, so if I got anything wrong in here a) feel free to correct it and b) blame who taught me (that would be me). LOL.

I highly recommend getting familiar with the graphics tool of your choice (Photoshop , Gimp, or Paintshop Pro, whatever) BEFORE tackling this. I tend to go headfirst into things and didn't do that, so I caused myself a lot of grief at first, as when I started making clothes I couldn't draw a straight line with Photoshop.

This will be long so I've broken it into 4 parts: 1) getting the tools you need, 2) preparing and uploading a texture, 3) upload options and 4) finalizing and distributing an outfit.

I also recommend working through the process just once even with a blank mesh (just the lines) - it will become a lot clearer.

Part 1: Getting the tools you need (and what the files are)

Go to the Social Center and click the Clothing tab that is in between the "Gifts" and "Property" tabs (not the one in the upper right).
About a third of the way down the page, under a bolded header that says "My Designed Clothing" you should see 2 buttons. One says "Designer Kit (Download)" and the other says "Texture Pack (Download)".
Grab both of these. The Designer Kit is what you need but the Texture Pack is interesting to look at.

They both download in .rar format - Winzip will open them, as will 7-zip (free) if you don't have Winzip.

I suggest you put them in separate directories before you uncrunch them.

Once you uncrunch the designer kit, drill down into the "Designer Kit Legacy Client" directory.
Under that you will see 5 or so directories:

UV Maps : Most important. This is where the Jpgs for the clothing meshes/maps are.
Obj Files and Designer Kit Updates : contains .obj files that can be imported into a 3 D tool so you can work right on the 3d object. Nice to have but you can get by without it.
GR2 Files: contains .gr2 format files that were once used with a tool called the Granny Viewer (3d viewer). I never got Granny to work and there are better options these days.
Example Textures: just what it says.

Note about UV Maps - as with everything in RLC, they are incomplete LOL. Some meshes are missing from here, you can sometimes find them on the forums (hugely helpful people there, especially Rand who unfortunately passed away. Nicest guy ever). The ones you need for tats are in there though so unless you branch out you are good for now.

The mesh names generally start with HM_ for mens and HF_ for women. The rest of the name *mostly* matches up with the "model" you would upload it to in the closet. More about that later.

For tattoos, the ones you will need are HF_Upperbody_Nude.jpg and HF_Lowerbody_Nude.jpg for women, and HM_Upperbody_Nude.jpg and HM_Lowerbody_Nude.jpg for men. These are really the same maps for the avi skins, top and bottom.

End of Part 1.
10 users thanked Celendra_S1 for this useful post.
Never_Lost on 9/21/2022(UTC), BB_Licious on 9/21/2022(UTC), Mrs_Xhris_SD_1 on 9/21/2022(UTC), Pytch on 9/22/2022(UTC), Plixton_UA on 9/23/2022(UTC), CinnamonSugar2 on 9/28/2022(UTC), CleverPea on 10/18/2022(UTC), kynze_Black on 10/24/2022(UTC), IowaIrish on 10/9/2023(UTC), Charly_FOHR on 1/3/2024(UTC)
Celendra_S1
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2022 4:55:46 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Part 2: Preparing the texture and uploading it:

I'll start this with a few tips from painful experience:

1) I suggest you copy the map out into a separate project directory before working on it. Many times I've accidentally started writing on or saved over the original one and had to uncrunch the .rar again.

2) Think out your layers ahead of time especially if you want to recolor it. Recoloring is a lot easier if the layers to recolor are separate from the ones you want to leave alone (like belt buckles and trim etc if you are doing clothing).

3) Don't delete layers, just hide them, you might need them later.

4) Before doing something drastic to a layer like burn/dodge, duplicate the layer and hide it as a backup.

5) I turn the base mesh/map into a layer, turn it to about 70% opacity, then put it on top and work underneath it if I am having trouble getting seams to line up, so I can see the map lines.

6) If (5) is still a problem, its often an RLC quirk where perfectly matched lines in 2D don't match up on the avi. You just have to tinker with it until things work. Under the left arm on the womens top is a particular pain point.

7) Makes sure you have enough stomach antacids in the house for (6). LOL.

8) Keep your names consistent for both the project and the png. You will also need to name it when uploading it, and finding it again is a lot easier if it all matches.

Once you get the texture to where you want it, save it as a .png with a reasonably clear name (see (8)). The size of the image always has to be in the powers of 2 (256x256, 512x512 etc). I often work at 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 until I'm happy with it, then on final upload reduce it to 512x512.

The smaller the size you save the image as, the better it is for everyone in RLC as larger sizes add to the server load. However, you do lose some resolution (though its been less than I thought it would be). Of course RLC doesn't enforce any size restriction, that would make too much sense LOL.
I often will save the image as 3 different sizes (512x512, 1024x1024, and 2048x2048) and see what looks best inworld vs how big the file is. I rarely use the largest one except for maybe jewelry.

Now you need to start to build an outfit to upload the texture to:

To build an outfit, go to the lower Clothing tab (the gray tab, not the red or yellow one in the upper right).
Click the "Create Outfit" tab.
Click New Style for avatar type.

Choosing the correct options is the hardest part so I will describe it just for a tattoo here, then go into it more in the next email.

Choose the following options for a male upper body tattoo (having used the HM_Upperbody_Nude map to create it):
Model Category: Male torso nude
Model: Torso Nude
Layer: skin
Decal: Tattoo

For the mens bottom half change the following parameters (after having used the HM_Lowerbody_Nude map to create it).

Model Category: Male legs nude
Model: Legs Nude
(the other parameters are the same).

For a female tattoo it is the same as mens (above), just change the genders.

When you are doing setting the upload options for this part of the outfit click Add Texture.
Make sure Texture Library says "Upload New Texture" **
Put a name in the Name box (like My_first_tattoo_top). Its best if it matches the file name on your hard drive (see (8)).
then click browse and choose the correct file on your computer hard drive.
Then click Upload Texture.

It will charge you 1 ray and upload the image you chose and name it whatever name you put in the Name box.

Do this for each part of the outfit you are building.

** You only have to upload each piece and pay 1 ray once. If you need to redo that piece click Replace for that texture and reupload it, it won't charge you for the replacement.

FYI the meshes for women fit transgender female if you want to make stuff for them too.You just have to build the outfit as transgender female not female. You can use the same texture and not have to upload it again.

End of Part 2.
7 users thanked Celendra_S1 for this useful post.
Never_Lost on 9/21/2022(UTC), BB_Licious on 9/21/2022(UTC), Pytch on 9/22/2022(UTC), CleverPea on 10/18/2022(UTC), kynze_Black on 10/24/2022(UTC), IowaIrish on 10/9/2023(UTC), Charly_FOHR on 1/3/2024(UTC)
Celendra_S1
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2022 4:57:15 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Part 3 : Upload options: Models, Layers and "Decals"

This is probably the most confusing part of the whole clothing upload process. Its not really consistent and its easy to get the texture uploaded wrong, either onto the wrong body part or using the wrong layer or "decal" .

If all you ever want to do is tattoos then the info I put in the last email will be enough. But I have a hunch you won't stop there.
Soon you'll want to make boots you saw somewhere and next thing you'll be hunting free texture sites at 4 AM for pictures of buckles LOL.

As you know just from just getting dressed, there are 4 layers in here: Clothing, Sex Clothing (underwear), Tattoo, and Skin.
Skin and Tattoo stay on when getting your freak on LOL, Clothing and Sex clothing come off.

Clothing is probably the least consistent of all the layers in here. Because they added some parts of it haphazardly and after the fact you have to really investigate how to upload something before picking the mesh/making it/uploading it.

For instance, say you are working on a texture using the HF_Upperbody_Nude.jpg map.

These are the settings you'd need to upload it as a female torso tattoo:

Model Category: Female torso nude
Model: Torso Nude
Layer: skin
Decal: Tattoo

However if you want to use that same image as a tight-fitting female shirt, you would use these upload options instead:

Model Category: Female torso <--different
Model: Skinny Top <--different
Layer: Skin
Decal: Clothing <--different

Now say you want a frilly skirt to go with that tight female shirt.

Using the HF_Lowerbody_frillyskirt.jpg mesh, you would upload the texture using these parameters:

Model Category: Female legs
Model: Frilly Skirt
Layer: Clothing <---Not skin, and no decal!

Most of the bottoms in here are older and so only have 1 layer available (Clothing) with no "decal".

And shoes, glasses, hair, and attachments like that are all Layer of Skin, Decal of Skin, always.

I know this is confusing as hell. You do get used to it. And the best advice I can give you is to analyze the outfits you already own for info about which model, layer, and decal the parts of the outfit use.
For example: if an outfit part says skinny top skin(clothing) in the catalog then you know the model used is skinny top, the layer is skin, and the decal is clothing.

General rule: The "model" generally corresponds to the name of the UV map from Part 1 you need to use for that item (except in
the case of Skinny Top, which uses the HF_UpperBody_nude map. Skinny jeans are the same, they use HF_Lowerbody_nude. Or the HM_ one for men).

It gets even more involved when you have to add double layers to prevent gaps and bleed-through, but I won't go into that now. Maybe someday in part 5 LOL.

End of Part 3.
6 users thanked Celendra_S1 for this useful post.
Never_Lost on 9/21/2022(UTC), BB_Licious on 9/21/2022(UTC), Pytch on 9/22/2022(UTC), kynze_Black on 10/24/2022(UTC), IowaIrish on 10/9/2023(UTC), Charly_FOHR on 1/3/2024(UTC)
Celendra_S1
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 21, 2022 4:58:39 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Part 4: Finalizing and distributing the outfit.

So now you have a great texture you developed on the Upperbody_nude map, you saved it as 512x512, you've uploaded it to a male outfit on the torso nude tattoo layer, and you ready to go. Now what?

After all your uploading is done now click "Publish Outfit".

On the next page you can name the outfit, describe it, upload a picture of it, and classify it so it ends up in a certain part of the UV catalog. Most of it is pretty self-explanatory.

I strongly suggest at least giving it a name so you can find it again in your "my designed outfits" list.

Click "Test Outfit on Avatar" to make sure the images are loaded onto the right parts. This will apply it to your avi. You need to be inworld and the right gender to test it.

There are two important settings at the bottom of this page.

"Release Mode" will let you gift it but you can't change the outfit again unless you take it out of Release Mode and put it back into Edit Mode. If it is in Edit Mode you can't gift it.

The Purchasable box, when checked, will let it show up in the catalog for purchase for whatever price you have it set as. If making things for private gifts put them in Release Mode without the Purchasable box being checked.

Click "Save Changes" and you are ready to go. Outfit will now show up under "My Designed Clothing" under My Clothing in your social center.

If the outfit is in Edit Mode you can get back to the upload screen by clicking Configuration. If the outfit is in Release Mode that button will be grayed out until you change the mode.

Notes:

1) REALLY IMPORTANT: Once you gift it you cannot change any of the textures that are uploaded. There is a way of sending a new texture to an outfit someone already has but its a pain. Ask me if you run into this. I've never actually had to do it.
Try to make sure its good to go before you let anyone else have it.

2) If you screw up what body part you load an image onto you don't have to reupload it. Just delete the part from the outfit , put in the correct parameters, choose "Existing current group" and find the image in there instead of doing "Upload New Texture" . This is why you name the pieces :D .

End of Part 4.

I know this is really long and a lot of info but it should at least get you started. Its also mostly what I wish someone had told ME when I went down this road!!

Have fun!
6 users thanked Celendra_S1 for this useful post.
Never_Lost on 9/21/2022(UTC), BB_Licious on 9/21/2022(UTC), Pytch on 9/22/2022(UTC), kynze_Black on 10/24/2022(UTC), IowaIrish on 10/9/2023(UTC), Charly_FOHR on 1/3/2024(UTC)
Plixton_UA
#5 Posted : Friday, September 23, 2022 6:02:09 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Thanks for sharing this Celendra.
Maybe you would like to become a UtherAcademy Instructor??
2 users thanked Plixton_UA for this useful post.
Pytch on 3/3/2023(UTC), superstaramy on 11/28/2023(UTC)
Celendra_S1
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 27, 2022 7:03:16 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I've got too much going on in real right now to take on anything else, but maybe after the new year. I'll look into it more then.

Thanks for asking, I'm flattered Smile.

Cel
kynze_Black
#7 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2022 3:57:18 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Thanks so much for sharing this so others can learn. It is the most descriptive how to lesson on this I have found. Thank you again.

My own unanswered question continues to be where do the images come from that are used as tattooes?
Celendra_S1
#8 Posted : Monday, October 24, 2022 4:58:40 PM(UTC)

Medals:
@Kynze, tattoos can be developed either by drawing them yourself or by finding clip art etc online that allows you to use the image for commercial or artistic purposes.

A lot can be done with self-taken pictures of ordinary items with a little imagination and work. For instance, check out this thread, the "Household Item Challenge".

https://forums.uthervers...old-Item-Challenge.aspx

My own contribution to that was making an outfit out of a picture I took of a bottle of generic antacids LOL.