Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 collidable issues
Cato_UVMC
#1 Posted : Thursday, November 07, 2019 9:05:05 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Hi

Has anyone seen this before?

First issue is collidable walls that work fine when you walk straight into them but if you walk at an angle you pass straight through. It is not touching anything else and it is off the ground a fair distance. Sometimes it seems ok for a while but then will start doing it again. Have the same issue on a raised stage as well, you can walk on the stage no problem and not fall through and if you walk into the side of it straight on it stops you but if you walk into the side at an angle you can walk straight through.

Second issue is stairs/slope. I can set the stairs for me so they work fine, I can go up and down no issue but if a female (I am male) tries it they get stuck at times. Surely the slope should work the same if male or female? Have tried different angles and lengths but to no avail. Sometimes they get stuck at the bottom going up and sometimes at the top going down and sometimes it works. A friend has got one set to work more than not but the collidable lines are not together and the slope one is not inside the flat.

Both of these issues are in the same layout (although I have seen the male female slope issue elsewhere). This is an old layout that was stripped right back and rebuilt, I am wondering if there is an issue with some of the old building left around causing weaknesses or issues. I have seen comments in the forums with problems of collidable props that were deleted without having the collidables removed first.

Any tips, hints, fixes or comments welcome.

Cato
Paul_FW
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 07, 2019 10:39:03 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Cato609;1607413 wrote:
Hi

Has anyone seen this before?

First issue is collidable walls that work fine when you walk straight into them but if you walk at an angle you pass straight through. It is not touching anything else and it is off the ground a fair distance. Sometimes it seems ok for a while but then will start doing it again. Have the same issue on a raised stage as well, you can walk on the stage no problem and not fall through and if you walk into the side of it straight on it stops you but if you walk into the side at an angle you can walk straight through.

Second issue is stairs/slope. I can set the stairs for me so they work fine, I can go up and down no issue but if a female (I am male) tries it they get stuck at times. Surely the slope should work the same if male or female? Have tried different angles and lengths but to no avail. Sometimes they get stuck at the bottom going up and sometimes at the top going down and sometimes it works. A friend has got one set to work more than not but the collidable lines are not together and the slope one is not inside the flat.

Both of these issues are in the same layout (although I have seen the male female slope issue elsewhere). This is an old layout that was stripped right back and rebuilt, I am wondering if there is an issue with some of the old building left around causing weaknesses or issues. I have seen comments in the forums with problems of collidable props that were deleted without having the collidables removed first.

Any tips, hints, fixes or comments welcome.

Cato

I can only suggest the when making stairs /Ramps follow some simple rules.

Set your Max Frame rate to 15 fps
Take off super jump.
Set you avatar to max size.
Set texture detail to high.

Small micro avi's jump higher than large ones, the purpose it to make your avatar as heavy as possible and the transitions of movement as non smooth as possible with low frame rate ( heavy gravity, lagging pc simulation).

Make sure the collidable horizontal area at the top of the ramp has a small scale size, so the red lines are close to the solid area as possible, and patch around that if a bigger area is needed.

If you have a large non template ground area for a base platform , ie if building outside in a template use the sea water 02, this is a large prop that will give a good base.

Not the easiest to see the height of the collide but just place a brick wall or what ever your going to use as a ground texture over it, and set that height so it look's correct not floating and not sinking.
Never over stretch a scale on any collidable if your going to ramp out of it.

Setting the low frame rate making your avatar heavy, by not using super jump, this will expose any errors in the set up of ramps stairs, its also a good idea that as the build progresses to check and adjust if necessary the function of ramps.

Edit additional info.
If you use a plane the red one that has the mosaic or a court floor and stretch the shit out of it like 400 x 400 and spend 5 mins running to a corner, you will see that the prop is not perfectly flat and the red collides are far away from the solid portion, impossible to ramp out of it, as a prop that is collide is scaled up is flatness and accuracy diminished, think of it as a piece of rubber sheet the more you stretch it the weaker its integrity and function.

Many have different ideas as to what props should be used, for various functions. but when it comes to collidables, Don Not scale up to much especially when it comes to stairs and ramps.

The lower the fps and the heavier your avatar the more faults will be found.
1 user thanked Paul_FW for this useful post.
Treas_BBLic_DRMC on 11/12/2019(UTC)
Cato_UVMC
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 07, 2019 11:14:16 AM(UTC)

Medals:
When I first hit the issues I changed all collidables to no more than 2x2 both for the walls and floors to ensure nothing was over stretched.
The_Wraith
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 07, 2019 4:13:11 PM(UTC)

Medals:
On the ramp issue. What size is your avatar. At times a large or extra large avatar can cause issues with ramps. You might try setting your avatar to medium size. and reset the ramp. If your still not having any luck give me a shout on my profile and I could come take a look at it for you.

As for walking through a wall set to collide. Not sure what causes that. But it effects some properties more then others. I spent some time starting a maze layout one time but ended up being able to walk through all the walls anyway. Either that or kind of hang up a second then fall through the floor.
1 user thanked The_Wraith for this useful post.
Paul_FW
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 07, 2019 4:31:30 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Why use medium when it has a lighter gravity, would it not be best to build stairs and ramps with making the worst possible scenario, then when people with low frame rates and have super jump on, and have higher fps than 15, the better conditions will not give any problems, if your going to build stairs with medium avi, then might as well go tiny with super jump on.

Try building a stairs using no super jump xl avi and set max 15 fps and high texture detail, see how easy it isn't but how smooth it is when normal conditions are applied, check some previous builds of stairs with those conditions see if you get stuck on them you may be surprised, at least then people with less capable pc's wont get stuck, you have to find the faults to fix them.

For example when building a club, when its loaded with avi's and the frame rate drops, you know if people can maintain a frame rate of 15 fps, with SJ on they wont have any issues getting stuck.
Cato_UVMC
#6 Posted : Friday, November 08, 2019 11:33:18 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Paul

Thanks for that setting my FPS to 30 (15 was just too stuttery) and adjusting the stairs so they work for me means they now work for everyone who has tried them. Lesson learnt - when building stairs have FPS set to 30 or less.

It also seems to have relieved a lot of the collidable issues where I can walk through them but unfortunately I can't make everyone who comes to the club use 30 FPS lol

Cato
2 users thanked Cato_UVMC for this useful post.
Paul_FW on 11/11/2019(UTC), Treas_BBLic_DRMC on 11/12/2019(UTC)
Paul_FW
#7 Posted : Friday, November 08, 2019 12:43:28 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Cato609;1607526 wrote:
Paul

Thanks for that setting my FPS to 30 (15 was just too stuttery) and adjusting the stairs so they work for me means they now work for everyone who has tried them. Lesson learnt - when building stairs have FPS set to 30 or less.

It also seems to have relieved a lot of the collidable issues where I can walk through them but unfortunately I can't make everyone who comes to the club use 30 FPS lol

Cato

Your not needing to ask anyone to set fps to 30 if they have more then its great also having super jump on makes less chance of anyone getting stuck that has low FPS, setting a low fps , is purely to highlight any issues when building stairs,

Example when I set my FPS setting to MAX and pull 150 plus fps I never get stuck, if I built stairs with the easy option of mid size avi and super jump on with max fps, I would have no clue as to the function of stairs for others with less powerful pc's that don't achieve a higher frame rate.

The suggestions I made were purely based on when building, so others have less chance of getting stuck and falling through with lower capability computers.
and yes 15 fps is a real challenge when building stairs with SJ off and xl avi, the stutter picks up every possible defect in alignment possible , I have to resort in the upper flat collidable being scaled down to 0.6 on the mating edge, and the ramp less tan 1 in its length with platforms, to break up the expansion of higher scales of the red collidable lines from the solid portion.

Depending on the place, I do often just leave it as 30 fps, to finally check and hammer the arrow keys at top to judder the avi at all angles to see if any failures occur, it just making the best you can with the worst settings achievable, obviously I start with easier settings then tune in by reducing fps and take SJ off to get a more reliable transition.

As for collidable to prevent walking through I tend to use the fence the mesh one chain link style and invisible it, keeping it's red lines up from the floor, not always full proof but I have more success with that, also really good for confining camera views so not looking at the wall from an adjoining room with camera view pulled out, and ceilings and roofs as well to keep your view confined to the room you are in.

ok you have to use a few around doors and watch the red lines but its just a case of patching them and keeping them in front of any pictures etc on that wall.

Edit:- I have also tried using the fence rail at waist height with collide set to prevent walking into a stage and the like , it does depend on the template , I find the basic park vacant , is very well knows for falling through with collides when using the space outside. all trial and error, sometimes setting a slight angle to the collide sloping away can help reduce falling through, and can result with wall climbing lol all trial and error Smile
Cato_UVMC
#8 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2019 8:13:52 AM(UTC)

Medals:
The chain fence does seem to be better at stopping people walk through but still seems to be weak at times. Angling it doesn't seem to make much difference. It is a basic park vacant and the floors are very weak. I was told that there were 25 people in the club earlier and they were dropping through the floors regularly.

Any further tips on making the floor better? I am using court floors 2 X 2 with some overlap; made sure nothing is sticking through them and all vertical collidables are not touching them.

Cato
1 user thanked Cato_UVMC for this useful post.
Paul_FW on 11/11/2019(UTC)
Anhton_Novo
#9 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2019 8:40:23 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Good day!

For the floors, have you tried using the Surface Water_02 prop as your collidable? Those seem to work well for me and you usually only need one or two depending on the size of your build. Less collidables should mean less chance of falling through.

For the walls, I have used the fish tank glass and just reduced the width to make it small to fit it into the wall areas. That can also be useful for preventing the cam view from seeing through the wall to the other side. I've seen tutorials on that somewhere in the forums but it was a while back.

Best,

Anhton
3 users thanked Anhton_Novo for this useful post.
Paul_FW on 11/11/2019(UTC), Treas_BBLic_DRMC on 11/12/2019(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 11/12/2019(UTC)
Paul_FW
#10 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2019 8:50:23 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Anhton_Novo;1607865 wrote:
Good day!

For the floors, have you tried using the Surface Water_02 prop as your collidable? Those seem to work well for me and you usually only need one or two depending on the size of your build. Less collidables should mean less chance of falling through.

For the walls, I have used the fish tank glass and just reduced the width to make it small to fit it into the wall areas. That can also be useful for preventing the cam view from seeing through the wall to the other side. I've seen tutorials on that somewhere in the forums but it was a while back.

Best,

Anhton

Was going to say same, most stable prop surface water 02 nice and big no need to scale it up, or use 2 or more and scale it down if still have issues falling through.
2 users thanked Paul_FW for this useful post.
Treas_BBLic_DRMC on 11/12/2019(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 11/12/2019(UTC)
Cato_UVMC
#11 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2019 4:53:43 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Thanks guys, have had several suggestions to use surface_water from various sources, will give it a go and let you know

Cato
2 users thanked Cato_UVMC for this useful post.
Treas_BBLic_DRMC on 11/12/2019(UTC), Paul_FW on 11/13/2019(UTC)
Treas_BBLic_DRMC
#12 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2019 6:31:54 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Most of what needed to be said has already been said, so I will only tell you what I do to prevent these issues from happening.

I use court floors as my base and I *NEVER* make them larger than 1x1x1. If you ever change the "height" (y axis) of the court floor to greater than one, delete it and start over. That creates an invisible hole all by itself, you are guaranteed to fall through. Making them smaller than 1x1x1 doesn't seem to create any issues.

Also..when using a court floor to create the ramp of stairs, I start out with a width of 0.30 and at an angle of 30 (rotation). Making it double sided will make it easier to work with, as well, since the underside of it will be visible.

I always have my avi on highest settings for max avis as well as FPS. Once I have the stairs made and I'm ready to check them, I lower my maximum FPS to 15 (as Paul mentioned). If you can go up AND down the stairs with NO issues and not getting hung up, then the stairs are done properly and ANYBODY with ANY FPS settings can use them without getting stuck. This has never failed me.

As far as the collided walls.. are you using a Wall prop and making that collideable? Those don't work very well..

I use the regular railing prop and make that collidable for big areas. For walls in tight spaces, I use a court floor (made collidable) and turn it on it's side. It not only creates a collide but will "block" your camera from seeing on the other side of that wall, so all you see is the tiny space you're in.

I did a custom deco recently where there was a path in mid-air and I used collided railings to keep peeps "on the path". One of the clients was testing them and at one certain point, he could walk right through the collides and would fall off, lol. We both tested it several times. He could walk through it, I could not. *Shrugs* Never could figure it out, I finally said to him -- just stay on the path!! Lol..

Good luck, Cato.

Damn you, Addamant, for turning me into a forum whore! *shakes fist*

_Monk_: What does BB stand for?
_Monk_: Ball busting? hehehehe

3 users thanked Treas_BBLic_DRMC for this useful post.
Sandra_SD_SoF on 11/12/2019(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 11/12/2019(UTC), Paul_FW on 11/13/2019(UTC)
Monic
#13 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2019 7:28:22 PM(UTC)

So about the stairs everything has been said. Honeslty I think the surface water is best, its all about the math and sizing and being that the surface water its the largest and scaled at 1, you cant go wrong making it big or small.

Now your walls, when you're able to get through them its usually because two collidable are touching somewhere. Youre chair, the stairs somewhere its there Sad collidables are not by the avatars feet its around your avatar head from what I recall. So you may have it off the floor but thats not the cause around the feet. If you need help Ill be happy to look or show you what I'm talking about. I'm not a good explaining, I just show people.
2 users thanked Monic for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 11/12/2019(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 11/13/2019(UTC)
The_Black_Rieder
#14 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2019 8:46:35 AM(UTC)

Collides are 570+1 regardless of avi size so 570 + the width of the collide. We don't walk on a floor or stair. We hang from the collide and only appear to walk on a floor. So when we are suspended from the 571 height above the floor and travel horizontally things are good with the world. When we join an angle floor with a 571 collide sticking out from it the angle from horizontal to angled floor collide is small so it presents no problems. When we get to the top and go from the angled collide to that of the next level horizontal collide the angle between the angled floor collide and the topmost horizontal collide is far greater. Imagine a circle between them showing the degrees and then imagine one on the lower floor. The top one has to travel a further distance (angle).

So there in lays the problem. You must maintain 571 on the angled floor collide and maintain that same height at all transitions of the angle change to that of the upper flat floor collide. Too low and you fall, too high and you get stuck. The relative thickness of the material in the prop can make a difference too and something that worked perfect for a long time can suddenly fail. Especially since 570 + 1 can become 570 + 2 with some props. Hence, I use Flat Plane, even if I have to make it invisible and set non collided Court Floor over the top (which can intermittently fail if set collidable, because of the relative thickness). So it is we join the top colliders of both the angle and the flat floor to maintain the needed 571.

Note: references correctly or incorrectly from SifuPeter and learned well by myself.
NOTE: My nick and image are from a company. That company allows people to use them both as long as they get permission and a licence. I have that and a certificate to prove it.

"These are not the Druids you are looking for..."
3 users thanked The_Black_Rieder for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 11/13/2019(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 11/13/2019(UTC), SifuPeter on 3/19/2020(UTC)
Cato_UVMC
#15 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2019 5:42:07 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Guys

Thank you all for you input, all was very useful and some a bit confusing but that might be just me lol.

I have changed all 3 floors of the building to use surface_water and, although I have fallen through a couple of times when searching for issue spots, no one else has so I think I can count it as a success. As for the walk through collidables I swapped to the chain link fence that Paul describes above and it seems to have relieved most of the issue but still occasionally I can walk through. The issue with the females not being able to use the stairs was resolved by me changing my Max FPS to 30 when testing the stairs, once I could use them correctly everyone could.

Thanks all again and I may tap you up in the future for any further issues I get Wink

Cato