Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
what can cause lag?
Cato_UVMC
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 11:21:23 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I am helping to build a club and we are already starting to experience lag in the club, admittedly the main one is someone who does have a low spec laptop.

We only have one TV at the moment but many large .jpg pics, would this cause lag? I am also going to be creating some .gifs for the back of the stage, will these be bad?

Any tip and pointers for reducing lag in a club gratefully received.

Cato
2 users thanked Cato_UVMC for this useful post.
Silesa on 7/20/2019(UTC), Nefarious_Needs on 7/20/2019(UTC)
VirgyStellaDDDH
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 11:46:04 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Cato609;1593781 wrote:
I am helping to build a club and we are already starting to experience lag in the club, admittedly the main one is someone who does have a low spec laptop.

We only have one TV at the moment but many large .jpg pics, would this cause lag? I am also going to be creating some .gifs for the back of the stage, will these be bad?

Cato

The TV is a flash script? Or is it a HTML5?
Jpgs and textures can cause a lot of load time (so cache them as "Forever" unless you need change them often).
Lag goes on when the RLC client need a lot of calculus after the loading, so lag goes on with: collidables, bots, emitters and all things requiring calculus.

Visit my website: www.virgy3d.com
3 users thanked VirgyStellaDDDH for this useful post.
Silesa on 7/20/2019(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 7/20/2019(UTC), Never_Lost on 8/26/2019(UTC)
Silesa
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 11:58:05 AM(UTC)

Medals:
The use of fade in the state tab to make things translucent also can cause a lot of lag.
CALL CONGRESS reps/senators
GET Citizens United v. FEC OVERTURNED.END CORPORATE CONTROL
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

DON'T PLAY THE FORUM GAME WE ARE ALL BETTER THAN THAT

SUPPORT UV ARTIST/VENDORS/ENTERTAINERS AVI IMAGE BY Mizaki_Tanaka
REGISTER TO VOTE OR CHECK IF REGISTERED @ https://www.usa.gov/election-office
4 users thanked Silesa for this useful post.
VirgyStellaDDDH on 7/20/2019(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 7/20/2019(UTC), CinnamonSugar2 on 7/21/2019(UTC), Never_Lost on 8/26/2019(UTC)
__Dusty__
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 6:01:50 PM(UTC)

Cato609;1593781 wrote:

Cato

Lag: Latency-

Latency is one of the most fundamental issues with communication between devices. It is the transmission delay between sending and receiving of information. The higher the latency, the longer it takes to receive feedback.

Participants in modern internet-controlled, heavily graphics-orientated virtual worlds, often confuse fps and lag. When an area cluttered with graphics and a complex drawing area slows down, all too often people say that the area is laggy or their Internet connection is not sufficient to handle it. This is patently untrue and continued perpetuation of this idea leads people to invest in hardware they don't need which has no effect on the problem.

A slowdown or sluggishness is to be expected. Data has a long way to travel, in large quantities, so some penalty must be paid. However, is all unresponsiveness in virtual environments really caused by lag? No.

The majority of lag in social VR worlds occurs via the Internet connection. The Internet architecture was never really designed for real-time interaction, and packets frequently cross thousands or tens of thousands of miles to reach a central server, and come back again - transmission time is always a function of double the distance to server.

It takes time to collect all the data necessary to construct a visual area from the main server - object placement, script commands, sometimes actual object and texture data itself. However, once this is downloaded, it is downloaded.

That is to say, once it is on the local computer, it is not going to use the Internet connection again. The job of that equipment is done, and no matter how choppy the experience may be, it’s no longer anything to do with transmission times.

The task now falls to the graphics hardware. In particular, the graphics accelerator card, if present. If a dedicated graphics card is not present, that's the source of the 'lag' right there. Modern graphical virtual worlds demand dedicated graphical processing power.

The graphics hardware has to analyze the data stored in the computer's memory, work out where in the scene each item is - what is occluded behind nearer objects and so does not need to be drawn, what is only partially occluded, and what is fully visible.

In more advanced environments, it has to work out shadows, lighting, reflections, organic deforming surfaces, fog levels, or large numbers of complex avatars.

It has to do all this, anywhere from 30 to 80 times each second.
So, the next time you are in a high-density area, cluttered with complex graphics, and things start to slow down, don't bemoan your Internet connection.

It has done its job and consider a better graphics card instead.

SETTINGS:

Two things I would personally recommend to always disable are in checkboxes out in the right side of your settings. Those are:

Two Pass Texturing
and
Use Packet Compression

FPS is one of those that is going to be highly dependent on two things in your PC's construction. Namely your Video Card capabilities and the CPU you have installed. If you've got a rocking Video Card and CPU, and if you set your FPS to Unlimited you could see in world FPS (when you use the F2 key) ranging anywhere from 150 to 300 range. By good processor I'm referring to i5 and up. i5 is where they really started building them to better handle virtual worlds, and i7's are a step up from that.

If you have say a Pentium 4 CPU and a pretty good Video Card and set FPS to Unlimited you'll typically see FPS more in the 15 to 80 FPS range.

So for setting your FPS your best bet is to do a little testing on your own to see what your system can handle. Set it to Unlimited and visit a range of places. Some that are smaller and have little lag, others that are larger places with more props and more people.

If your system typically shows less than 100 FPS during your testing, then you'll probably want to limit it in your settings to something less than the top number you're seeing. And if you're going to a place that has a lot of avi's there dancing or whatever (lot of avi's being 30 or more) then you can turn that down further, to say 15 FPS, so that it's not taxing your PC. (Changing FPS doesn't require a client restart, so you can change it on the fly.)

Other settings I pay attention to are Texture Detail. I personally never use Ultra High, because it doesn't gain me enough detail to be worth the performance hit. I have mine set at High all the time. Others I know have to change theirs to Medium to survive in places with a lot of props and people. (This one requires a client restart.)

Max Avatars: In my main client I leave this at 30, which is I think the default setting. But if I'm going to a place that I know is going to be a stress on my system --and have a lot of people there-- I'll take this down to 15. It means you'll see fewer avatars, which in turn means you have to be a little bit careful when moving that you don't run through people. (when positioning your avatar on a dance floor, if you move your camera view to Above and looking down on your avi, you'll see those immediately around you better.) Having fewer avatars visually on your screen can also help quite a bit to cut down on your lag. (This one does not require a client restart, so can be tweaked on the fly.)

If you know you're going into a higher lag place it can even help quite a bit to simply make your RLC Client take up less real estate on your screen. You do this by using your mouse to drag in the sides a bit. It cuts down your avatars peripheral vision a bit, but does help with lag. And it's best if you can do this in a quieter place, before you jump into the active/laggier place, as changing your RLC screen size does cause your PC to have to redraw everything.

The last one I'll mention here is something of a trick that I was taught ages ago by Exbox, one for surviving those high population areas where people are dancing up a storm. It's the F9 key.

When you press your F9 key it turns off all of the bouncing names over avatars heads. And even that movement of the names uses up system resources. So if you press your F9 those bouncing names simply poof out of existence. Pressing it again toggles names back on.

Those are recommendations but not really. The trick is to figure out what sort of Max your PC/Connection can handle, then tweak your settings to be a little less than that so that your PC isn't having to try to crank at 100%. Then apply a few other tricks to lessen your load so that you can survive and enjoy those busier places without stressing your system too terribly much.

Thanks to SnowCat from Tech Support and Rand (RIP).

Properly size all textures to the power of 2.

Avoid Fade in State tab

No more than 5 flash scripts and use flash copy when using more than one of the same.

Do not use the flash script for anything other than flash.

Avoid Web browser script

Make sure translucency is never at 0 in the State tab when in use.

Convert GIF to Flash when possible.

TRY THIS

https://forums.uthervers...or-Business-Owners.aspx

From the SUPER List

http://forums7.uthervers...UPDATED-AND-REVISED.aspx
“Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart.” (Carl Sagan)

Quoted by:_Ga_Peach_
Best Forum Hugs Award goes to __Dusty__
7 users thanked __Dusty__ for this useful post.
Silesa on 7/20/2019(UTC), Nefarious_Needs on 7/20/2019(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 7/20/2019(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 7/20/2019(UTC), Pytch on 7/21/2019(UTC), Dado7_ on 7/25/2019(UTC), WynonnaE on 9/23/2019(UTC)
Manon_Qc
#5 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 6:48:01 PM(UTC)

Medals:

+1 ThumpUp

Nefarious_Needs
#6 Posted : Saturday, July 20, 2019 6:50:46 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Cato609;1593781 wrote:

Cato

Very nice question cat the list could go on very ever with that I will say mostly emitters myself, then there's flash sometimes, depends on the computer and connection too.
Cato_UVMC
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 21, 2019 9:37:10 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Thanks for all your replies guys, the time to load was definitely causing problems as well so will be implementing some of the suggestions above and pass on Dustys' suggestions to the person who has the worst lag.

Thanks again

Cato