Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Aligning Court Floors
Sunrider56
#1 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 12:13:06 PM(UTC)

Medals:
If anyone knows of a definitive, reliable way to align court floor ramps to platforms on soft-coded floors please pass it on, I'd love to know. I've tried most if not all the the tools and tricks and yet some soft-coded surfaces just seem to defy adding stairs to another platform surface. Generally the avatar either hits the next collidable level and gets stuck or can't make is up the ramp or down off the platform. Worse yet is when I add a ramp and then discover a "new" collidable issue on the original surface. I mean this is after all a series of numbers with geometric shapes (props) that should have some consistent rules to their functions but when it comes to soft-coded floors it seems all bets are off. If anyone has a system/procedure/whatever please fell free to pass it on. Thanks, Sunrider.
Chantal
#2 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 1:57:25 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Principle is always the same. Also there is no such thing as a "softcoded floor".

https://utherverse.fandom.com/wiki/Ramps

And just don't use courtfloors ...
I setup a Discord for everyone!

Feel free to join at: https://discord.gg/4CgshQF

Need some help, visit: https://utherverse.fando...om/wiki/Utherverse_Wiki
2 users thanked Chantal for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 4/29/2019(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 4/29/2019(UTC)
Sunrider56
#3 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 3:07:23 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Thank you, and the only reason I termed it "softcoded" floor was due to that being the most common term I had found in all the other forums when trying to contrast the floor in a bare template vs the floor in an already made layout. But none the less THANK you for the info. With any luck that will end this whole topic for me.
1 user thanked Sunrider56 for this useful post.
Cassey on 4/29/2019(UTC)
divingA_WnC
#4 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 3:35:27 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Chantal;1584063 wrote:
Principle is always the same. Also there is no such thing as a "softcoded floor".

Why should one not use court floors?

Up to now I always used court floors to make stairs in several of my places. Even if they go over several floors they all work just fine with the court floor.

However, here is another forum posting from back in the past, teaching absolutely everyone how to work with stairs and ramps.

Stairway Ramp Construction, the Easy (Tom & Indis) Way

You get to see with the link the caption and assure everyone, once you got it, it is most definitely easy to build stairs and ramps.

Kind regards, divingA

He who does not submit to the laws, must leave the area where they apply. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
2 users thanked divingA_WnC for this useful post.
Cassey on 4/29/2019(UTC), Treas_BBLic_DRMC on 5/4/2019(UTC)
The_Wraith
#5 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 3:36:09 PM(UTC)

Medals:
If you have a particular spot that's giving you a problem send me a message to my profile And I'd be happy to come in and take a look at it for you. Or I could look at what you have and see if I can tell where your going wrong on it.
3 users thanked The_Wraith for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 4/29/2019(UTC), Cassey on 4/29/2019(UTC), Scr_karenWFF_KMT on 5/3/2019(UTC)
BeeLiCiOuS
#6 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 8:34:20 PM(UTC)

Medals:
divingA_WnC;1584080 wrote:
Chantal;1584063 wrote:

Up to now I always used court floors to make stairs in several of my places. Even if they go over several floors they all work just fine with the court floor.

However, here is another forum posting from back in the past, teaching absolutely everyone how to work with stairs and ramps.

You get to see with the link the caption and assure everyone, once you got it, it is most definitely easy to build stairs and ramps.

Kind regards, divingA

Court floors are historically very glitchy and cause a lot of problems.

Not everyone agrees on this, but 9 times out of 10 when someone calls me to fix floors or stairs ..its court floors.

I personally use flat Plane for smaller areas and for larger areas I use water surfeace and for med areas search flr_dance...it will come up as plane_01 but search it as flr_dance.
all three mix well together

Bee

Visit BeeLiCiOuS DeSiGnS GaLLeRy ~ vww://utherverse.vww/@58451/@1117173

2 users thanked BeeLiCiOuS for this useful post.
Cassey on 4/29/2019(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 4/30/2019(UTC)
Cassey
#7 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2019 9:49:17 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Sunrider56;1584077 wrote:
Thank you, and the only reason I termed it "softcoded" floor was due to that being the most common term I had found in all the other forums when trying to contrast the floor in a bare template vs the floor in an already made layout. But none the less THANK you for the info. With any luck that will end this whole topic for me.

Hi!

I don't think Chantal was trying to be mean, she just didn't know others called it that. I thought about it and realized the terms make sense. Soft code can be changed and hard code can't.
VirgyStellaDDDH
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 1:43:58 AM(UTC)

Medals:
BeeLiCiOuS_;1584121 wrote:

Can you give some examples? Tyvm.

Visit my website: www.virgy3d.com
Chantal
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 2:08:21 PM(UTC)

Medals:
BeeLiCiOuS_;1584121 wrote:
divingA_WnC;1584080 wrote:
Chantal;1584063 wrote:

Kind regards, divingA

Not everyone agrees on this, but 9 times out of 10 when someone calls me to fix floors or stairs ..its court floors.

I personally use flat Plane for smaller areas and for larger areas I use water surfeace and for med areas search flr_dance...it will come up as plane_01 but search it as flr_dance.
all three mix well together

Bee

I didn't really want to go into this one. But since it's getting unavoidable ... I have several main reason as to why. But let me start of by saying, yes you can use courtfloors as collidables.

Though I agree here fully with Bee as the standard, she is right with using surface water 2 for larger areas, plane 1 (flr_dance) for medium and flat planes small areas. This should just be standards, so that every deco would easily be able to come in and fix things.

Now for the reasons I suggest not to use them.

1. Courtfloors are great for adding repeat textures on. This means for larger areas you can put a texture on this floor and size it appropriately. This means the courtfloor is the visable floor, this is great for reduction of lag and optimum usage of your texture. If you put a courtfloor below it for the collidable this makes it harder to select the correct one if later editing that. Hence it's best to use a prop that never gets a visable texture as the collidable.
  2. Courtfloors are small in scale. Meaning if you enlarge it bigger then 1,5 on each side, you will have issues makign ramps of them, as this is a known bug for any collidable that is stretched over 1,5. Making the courfloor a very ackward floor to use.
  3. Incremental issue. When stretching courtfloors again over a larger area span. While not many people will ever have this issue. There courtfloor adds a small 0.0001% incremental value to itself. Meaning if for whatever reason the courfloor is sized up over a 100 on any axis it will only be able to directly ajoin other courtfloors but no other objects. Unless ofcourse you size these props ackwardly.
  4. There is only a limited amount of props that can be used for tiling, courtfloors are one of them, 3x3 sign and brickwall are other examples. Hence it's such an exclusive use, I do not use them for collidable floors.
  5. Courtfloor scales perfect at a 20x20 size on a single watersurface 02. (It also scales well for the other 2, plane 1 and flatplane)
  6. Courtfloors are very pricise when it comes to connecting them. There is virtually no margin of error, this makes it sometimes difficult to find the right angle of a stairs. Especially when doing very steep like 70degrees or more type of ramp. The plane_01 allows for more margin of error, therefore people get less stuck on this type of ramp.
  7. ...but chantal what if you make the courfloor visable and collidable and keep it sized under 1,5 by 1,5 on the axes ... And the answer to me here is consistancy. How many times is the actual walkable floor area larger then your actual floor. Yes on a strictly sqaured house this is the case, but really anything now rectangular or squared space is going to need multiple invisable floors and visable floors, some even with other textures.

All in all it just makes good practise to utalize all props. In the end of the day it doesn't really make much of a difference what prop you use. But as a courtasy to good practise I would say don't use courtfloors as the collidable floor. It costs a little bit of effort, but if the deco dissapears or others need to do renovations, or just wanna add or fix things. It's good to have collidable floors that are easy to spot and edit, aswell as easy to find the tiled floor that is holding the texture.

SaphyreRose
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 4:54:55 PM(UTC)

Medals:
The entire best method is to use SiFuPeter or as we like to call him Sensei's tools - much for collidables, 2nd floor seating etc. I am not at home at this time but I will look to get his links soon.

Others may tell you something of this or that, and please do go ahead and experiment with those, the best and tried and true are those personally experienced and I have of the Sensei. Search your own.

I have zero respect for those who hide behind alternates and wish to address others from such profiles and thus those from that with they have no legitmate knowledge but act as though they do. Those people are weak and are fools.
To bring your relationshipto the forums? Go ahead skip along behind a Roman soldier to the Arena; tie on your neck a steak & lay next to starving lion! Better luck!~SR There is no marvel in a woman learning to speak, but there would be in teaching her to hold her tongue~ER I won because I actually made a float - and didn't leave it as a truck.
1 user thanked SaphyreRose for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 4/30/2019(UTC)
Chantal
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2019 6:26:14 PM(UTC)

Medals:
SaphyreRose;1584190 wrote:
The entire best method is to use SiFuPeter or as we like to call him Sensei's tools - much for collidables, 2nd floor seating etc. I am not at home at this time but I will look to get his links soon.

Others may tell you something of this or that, and please do go ahead and experiment with those, the best and tried and true are those personally experienced and I have of the Sensei. Search your own.

I have zero respect for those who hide behind alternates and wish to address others from such profiles and thus those from that with they have no legitmate knowledge but act as though they do. Those people are weak and are fools.

First of all you contradict yourself here. By saying best method is that of sifupeter and then a paragraph later saying others might tell you this or that (unless you don't include yourself here). Basically stating that your method, or well the method you think is best, is the best. but anyone elses isn't. Also I strongly disagree with the personally expierenced bit, since this is very objectified. (Not even sure what the third part is inferring to)

Anyways about sifupeter his tools are great, totally unnessary, but they work. If people want to spend aeons of hours typing in numbers sure go right ahead. His tools are accurate to a near fault. He has definatly made the best tools out there for anyone that wants to use them. I personally strongly disagree it's the best method since it costs double if not more time to build with, as I said it's a very time consuming way to do it like this.

As for personal expierence, the problem with this is, that it tends to narrow ones mind. Meaning that people tend to not want to listen to reason and ignore better advice. There is plenty of times I keep seeing something new and better then what I did. So I start using that. I opened my eyes and checked if my method was good or not. There is always room to grow, the method you someone is using might be flawed, but due to what they know they do not want to alter their stance, and are in some cases even unwilling to learn.

That said his tools don't even go into a debate about using the courtfloor or another prop, or as later sparked by divingA_WnC the question why to use or not use a courtfloor as the collidable prop? Again this is about understanding what is a good use of the courtfloor. And the best use it has, is to not use it as a collidable floor, but instead as a tilable visable prop. Feel free to argue the points I made in my previous post about my reasons why and give me better reasons and or arguements as to why to use it as a collidable floor.

Again I still am of the opinion everyone should build how they like to build, the points I made are merely hypothetical of best practise and to give weight to divingA_WnC question.

SaphyreRose
#12 Posted : Wednesday, May 01, 2019 11:29:44 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Hah, doesn't do well to type from a phone. I'm old school and should stick to using keyboard.

Simply to say - in the past I have used court floors for collidables until I learned from Peter. His methods for collidables are best method I've found and used is SifuPeter's. I do feel the best way for one to know if a method works or not is to try it and compare to others.

I don't find the methods of Peter time consuming, in fact I think they save time.

Nothing to debate or argue, opinions are like avatars, everyone has one. Enjoy
To bring your relationshipto the forums? Go ahead skip along behind a Roman soldier to the Arena; tie on your neck a steak & lay next to starving lion! Better luck!~SR There is no marvel in a woman learning to speak, but there would be in teaching her to hold her tongue~ER I won because I actually made a float - and didn't leave it as a truck.
3 users thanked SaphyreRose for this useful post.
__Dusty__ on 5/3/2019(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 5/3/2019(UTC), divingA_WnC on 5/4/2019(UTC)
__Dusty__
#13 Posted : Friday, May 03, 2019 2:32:26 PM(UTC)

I totally concur Rose. One thing I would never do is discount Peter's problem-solving. It is to the point and I believe saves time as well.

However, it is each to his/her own when decoing. One will do whatever they are used to.

For me, SifuPeter is the way to go when I have an issue.

A good rule of thumb is to keep court floors sized 1x1x1 or 2x1x2 at most if using more than one for a collidable.

There are better props for collidables such as surface water and planes. I find there are fewer problems with any court floor alternative.

“Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart.” (Carl Sagan)

Quoted by:_Ga_Peach_
Best Forum Hugs Award goes to __Dusty__
2 users thanked __Dusty__ for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 5/3/2019(UTC), divingA_WnC on 5/4/2019(UTC)
SaphyreRose
#14 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2019 5:22:22 PM(UTC)

Medals:

Agree! For collides on walls, I've always used fishtank glass and size appropriately, it works wonders and you don't get "bleed through" upon camera swing around.
3 users thanked SaphyreRose for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 5/4/2019(UTC), Cassey on 5/4/2019(UTC), __Dusty__ on 5/4/2019(UTC)
divingA_WnC
#15 Posted : Saturday, May 04, 2019 7:26:43 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Hy and hello everyone,

somewhen in 2013 I started to rebuild a real building close to Berlin, just because I love it and am there many times per year, I am talking about:

As you can see with almost every picture you get from the internet, there is a terraced vineyard on the south slope of the hills. I of course rebuilt that too, so that everyone can enjoy the entire atmosphere as if he/she would have a stroll from Potsdam city up to the palace.

This is, how my version looks like:

Every of the bend terraces is as walkable as the entire stairs are, they are all made of collidable set court floors along the method from Sifu Peter. Absolutely no visitor, I had there so far had any problems with walking or skating up- or downwards, any visitor had so far a problem with walking or skating on each of the six terraces from west to east or reverse way. So much for that.

Ah, yes, the time it took me: the raw construction of the terraces and stairs including the needed floor at palace level as well as the floor on fountain level about 5 hours.

A few days ago I had to built stairs in another place of me. From bottom to top over a platform, where the stairs lead further in a right angle. These stairs took me just an hour, because I had to built everything including the upper platform on the hill, where benches and more are now to leave some nice point of view over the entire property. I didn't need the tool anymore, since I got pretty much used to the method, which happens to work simply reliable.

I don't mind anyone working with another method on stairs, as matter of fact, I don't care about, everyone as desired. I know what leads me to accomplished missions and this happens to be collidable set court floors and the method of SiFu Peter. I have to add, the dimensions of the courtfloos used as ramp have never ever been any problem to me, not even in Sanssouci palace, where the stair's and floor's space take roughly 20000 units.

Kind regards, divingA

He who does not submit to the laws, must leave the area where they apply. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
2 users thanked divingA_WnC for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 5/4/2019(UTC), __Dusty__ on 5/4/2019(UTC)
Chantal
#16 Posted : Sunday, May 05, 2019 5:24:45 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Guess I am the first one huh ....

1 user thanked Chantal for this useful post.
BeeLiCiOuS on 5/12/2019(UTC)