Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Where are the designers getting the sexy avatars?
Cougar
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2023 1:53:30 AM(UTC)

This may be a silly question, when I am looking at the catalog I see all of these truly sexy avatars. They make the clothing look so much better and I would love to try it. I have emailed a couple designers to find out what program they are using but received no response.

Can someone give me a hand and tell me what software to use to showcase my clothing too??

~Coug
Don't shop, just adopt. Support your local animal rescue, if you can't adopt, foster, if you can't foster, sponsor, if you can't sponsor, volunteer, if you can't volunteer, donate, if you can't donate educate! Give old blankets and towels! And PLEASE, ALWAYS spay or neuter your pet!!

1 user thanked Cougar for this useful post.
Tergiet on 1/19/2023(UTC)
Celendra_S1
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 19, 2023 5:44:53 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Hi Cougar. I think that the catalog item images you are talking about were created using a 3D tool such as Blender, Maya, Mudbox, or Daz3d. The uploaders are likely using that tool to make the outfit with as well before it gets put up in RLC.

There are many ways of acquiring avatars and poses for those 3d tools on sites like Renderosity. As long as the RLC mesh fits the 3d tool avi correctly I guess you can dress them and it will look good.

I've played with Blender (free) and Daz3d (trial version) in the past but don't have time to fully learn either. If I was retired, maybe, but I'm not and the RL job pays a lot better than RLC clothing design LOL.

Mudbox seems to be a popular option. If you search the forums for that term you'll find a lot of discussions about using it for outfits. There was also a fascinating argument between 2 clothing uploaders (both now banned I think) where one accused another of stiffing her on Mudbox poses she had agreed to sell but didn't deliver after payment LOL.

A few years back non-RLC avi catalog pictures were either frowned on or not permitted by Worldops but that has obviously completely changed. Most of them are now photographed elsewhere.

I'll be honest - I'm not a fan. If I'm shopping I want to see what it will look like on my avi, and often the way it fits in the non-RLC image isn't the way it fits my avi. Yes some of them are pretty but I also think some are hideous LOL.

I suggest if you want to spiff up your catalog pics without dealing with another tool then use bots. You can dress them against a background and take pics with the - ,then use the pic for the catalog entry. It is far easier to position them and zoom in than it is when taking pics of yourself, and you can also make them move to make them less stiff in the pictures.

It's also handy when you want to see if there are any missed splotches on the legs etc. You can go into micro and wander around under them checking for mistakes. Yes, upskirting your own bot feels weird LOL but I have found errors that way.

A lot of the older designers (like Velvet_OH, my mentor) took pics of themselves against a green background then edited the green out but I never had the patience for that, especially with having to do it multiple times when you want a collage of multiple avis in the same picture.

If you ever want to see my bot setup let me know and I'll send you the url to my workshop and you can take a look.

Hope that helps,
Cel
6 users thanked Celendra_S1 for this useful post.
The_Black_Rieder on 1/19/2023(UTC), DarkLadyJADE on 1/19/2023(UTC), Tergiet on 1/19/2023(UTC), Pytch on 1/20/2023(UTC), Cougar on 1/23/2023(UTC), StormyX_B_56 on 3/5/2024(UTC)
Mz_Mayhem_MM_SOL
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 22, 2023 1:04:52 PM(UTC)

Medals:
For the longest time designers were using SL pics for the clothing which also was crazy then again some well few were actually real designers from there and also putting there stuff here which is fine but as we all know a lot was all stolen shit which started the debate about only using RLC avis for pics which is something ive always done and have now used the same skin designer for around 10yrs and i have no plans on changing that but that also brings me too the pics these "new" designers use for skins some have looked really good but once you test them its like ok yeah not the same but if Ops is going too let it slide so be it that is why we have a test button

i do 90% of my testing in Daz 3D and the final in world before uploads and sometimes stick the stuff on bots and do the walk around before its up for sale some tho do not do that and ive aquired a few outfits that had issues and oddly enough i didnt see it in "test" mode before i bought it so some stuff does slip through the cracks but in the end just use the avi you have then ya cant be blamed for false advertising lol

oh and is anyone still shocked that "new" designers ya never see appear start of a month and by the end of the month they have 2500 created outfits ??? still amazed by this and im sure others are too....no life maybe? or........ lol
7 users thanked Mz_Mayhem_MM_SOL for this useful post.
Tergiet on 1/22/2023(UTC), Warlock_W on 1/23/2023(UTC), Cougar on 1/23/2023(UTC), Celendra_S1 on 1/24/2023(UTC), Bl4ck_W1d0w_COMC on 3/27/2023(UTC), StormyX_B_56 on 3/5/2024(UTC), DJ_REBELCOWGIRL on 3/5/2024(UTC)
Cougar
#4 Posted : Monday, January 23, 2023 9:34:46 PM(UTC)

Thank you both for the information. More than anything, I was curious. I tend to lean toward the designers that are using RLC avatars in the catalog when buying. I am well aware that there has been a lot of ummm discussion about the theft and outside purchase of outfitsSad It is a shame that it has to happen here. I like to make MY own and not just rake rays by ripping people offSad

Yes I am well aware of the new 'designers' who create 2,500+ catalog entries in a month. You will not find their items in my closet, but I am not in the majoritySad I have pushed for change until I figured I was about to be banned for itSad Yes, all catalog entries need to be on RLC avatar!

And, just cause I see her name, I use a custom Tergiet skin that I have had for years and I love it! Welcome back Tergiet!

~Coug
Don't shop, just adopt. Support your local animal rescue, if you can't adopt, foster, if you can't foster, sponsor, if you can't sponsor, volunteer, if you can't volunteer, donate, if you can't donate educate! Give old blankets and towels! And PLEASE, ALWAYS spay or neuter your pet!!

5 users thanked Cougar for this useful post.
Warlock_W on 1/23/2023(UTC), Tergiet on 1/24/2023(UTC), Celendra_S1 on 1/24/2023(UTC), DJ_REBELCOWGIRL on 3/5/2024(UTC), x_OMG_x on 3/5/2024(UTC)
StormyX_B_56
#5 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2024 5:16:11 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I have often asked myself the same question as Mz_Mayhem_MM_SOL it is so funny how someone who can just start RLC and they have made 400 outfits and there on the top Designers or Top 20 outfits. I am like how in the hell are they doing that lol. I also notice the pictures of the clothing never matches what you get. I try to get clothes from people who have RLC avatars at least i know what I am really getting.
~~~You can learn a lot from a dummy~~~ LOL
3 users thanked StormyX_B_56 for this useful post.
DJ_REBELCOWGIRL on 3/5/2024(UTC), BB_Licious on 3/5/2024(UTC), Celendra_S1 on 3/6/2024(UTC)
Pytch
#6 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2024 10:04:07 AM(UTC)

Medals:
A few designers use Autodesk's Mudbox to make their catalog pictures (and to make outfits).
Can't get into RLC/UV? Look on the Utherverse Discord server. Here is an invite link: https://discord.gg/2zzfVJYSWA
The Uthers Discord (Crypto etc): https://discord.gg/tnsAsBvZ
1 user thanked Pytch for this useful post.
BB_Licious on 3/5/2024(UTC)
ASultryWmn
#7 Posted : Tuesday, March 05, 2024 10:30:46 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Oh the outfits are very good, Now if they would do something about all the fabulous hairstyles they show we would have something going on in RLC. Seems like we shall be forever stuck with what looks like plastic pop on doll hair.