Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Geography and history lesson
divingA_WnC
#1 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2021 5:58:59 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Hello everyone,

but most of all:

hello dear friends from America,

in times of schools closed due to Corona, like many other people, I have to home-school my children. Everyone who has ever tried to help his children with their homework knows how often one reaches one's own limits.

Today I stumbled over such a limit once again. I was really surprised that my children asked me the same question that I had once asked great American friends years ago, because the fact itself seemed surprising to me when I looked at an American map, as I had done so many times before. Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Unfortunately, I do not know today which certainly clever answer my dear friends elmer and Samuel_Ivan gave me at that time.

Therefore, I have no other choice but to ask you this question again today. I hope to keep this time the answer and to be able to give at the same time also with your all help to my children an intelligent answer to their question.

My two older daughters J. and L., who are in the same class, are currently studying North America in geography, or more precisely, the USA. Their teacher now sent the students via mail to the parents a worksheet, a so-called dumb map.

Do you know such dumb maps? All that is marked on these maps are the borders of a country, in this case it was a map of the USA with all the borders of the individual states marked. Well, the map was not completely silent, there were still dots for the capital of each state entered as well as the 10 (economically) most important and longest rivers of the USA or large lakes, plus 2 deserts (Great Salt Lake Desert and Sonoran Desert) and two mountain ranges (Appalachian Mountains and Rocky Mountains). So far, so good.

My children's task now was to give each state its name with its full name as well as the abbreviation of the respective state, and to label the rivers, lakes, deserts and mountain ranges with their names. In addition, all the names of the capitals had to be written at the correct point. Bonus points could be given to the children if they write the correct name of other cities at other dots in different states. This was because in addition to the state capitals, other points were also entered in some states; in California, for example, these were Los Angeles, San Francisco and San Diego.

Since this map was also intended to be used in history classes, a separate text to the map was to name presidents who came from the corresponding state, the date of accession to the U.S., and other points that are not important here.

So far, so good, still. The really surprising thing was the question my kids asked, as mentioned above the almost same question I asked a very good American friend years ago. Can you help me answer it????

Why do many of the borders of the individual states of the USA look like they were drawn with a ruler?

It's a good question, isn't it? Please don't leave me hanging now, there's no need to rush now, I'd rather wait a bit, but then I can give my kids a really intelligent and correct answer to their question.

And so that you also have your fun, here is another task of the children. Which of the lengths listed goes with which American river???

• 4130 km
  • 3778 km
  • 3120 km
  • 3034 km
  • 2364 km
  • 2333 km
  • 2102 km
  • 2075 km
  • 1953 km
  • 1674 km

• Yukon River
  • Red River
  • Arkansas River
  • Columbia River
  • Snake River
  • Mississippi
  • Colorado River
  • Ohio River
  • Rio Grande
  • Missouri

You can keep the answers to yourselves. Cool I had fun matching the rivers to the correct length. Angry But don't cheat, google or wiki is a no-no!!! Flapper

I thank you now for helpful answers to the important question,

everyone stay healthy, take care of yourselves and your fellow man,

divi

He who does not submit to the laws, must leave the area where they apply. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
1 user thanked divingA_WnC for this useful post.
Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/1/2021(UTC)
SinSizzle
#2 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2021 8:53:59 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: divingA_WnC Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone,

Why do many of the borders of the individual states of the USA look like they were drawn with a ruler?

It's a good question, isn't it? Please don't leave me hanging now, there's no need to rush now, I'd rather wait a bit, but then I can give my kids a really intelligent and correct answer to their question.

I thank you now for helpful answers to the important question,

everyone stay healthy, take care of yourselves and your fellow man,

divi

Actually divi, it's on the whole, mostly a case of parliamentary or congressional decisions, largely made by individuals who had no idea
what the geography of the area, or how it was settled actually was. The straight-line borders of the states of the original British
colonies along the Atlantic were caused by acts of the British Parliament or Crown handing out land grants to the "proprietors"
of the said colony. (See Baltimore family history, that got the Maryland proprietorship to establish a colony for British Catholics).
The crown was handing out acreage, and straight borders were easy to draw and calculate the total acreage be given to each colony.

That practice extended after Independence with, Congress handing out territory, and since states that were further west were settled largely
by people from states straight eastward of them, limiting acreage of the territories, was a negotiated item by Congress when
the territorial government's boundaries were drawn. with straight lines being the easiest way for Congress to draw and calculate acreage.

Especially after the 1830s. when the Missouri Compromise was reached when the deal limited the creation of pro-slavery states
settled from southern populations to exactly match the number of anti-slavery states created by northern settlers, so as to maintain
balance in the Senate(each state has 2 votes), and the subsequent change in voting power in the electoral college(based on the number of senators and congressmen). The deal was made to permanently freeze any political change in the Senate that might threaten the institution of slavery. Once again, straight lines were easier to draw, and calculate acreages and making sure that the southern boundary of free states'
and the northern boundary of slave states did not cross the Missouri Comprise latitude line. Slavery states, that were created
tended to be smaller in population than some of the states created in the North, due to the need to match the total number of states
created in the North, because the North had a bigger population.

After the civil war, the practice continued, because Congress was lazy, and the average member of Congress had NO IDEA of what the geography was, or where people were settled(Hence the sometimes practice of splitting a community into 2 different parts between 2 states(Re Kansas City. Kansas and Kansas City/Independence City, Missouri for example when boundaries were drawn). The lines were drawn to affect political compromises in the House and Senate of the Congress with little effort to pay attention to geography, and demographic knowledge was strictly done on
the basis of having northern(anti-slavery) or southern(pro-slavery) settlers.

Hope this helps(really good project, sad to say, that is more American geography than is currently taught to American kids in many
schools. You would be appalled by how ignorant Americans are of the own country's geography, history, or civics. the stupid ignorant pawns at the capitol riot were good examples of what many schools produce in the US.. don't understand the system or care(a surprising number of rioters at the capitol, didn't even vote or were registered to vote in the election. that they went to the Capitol and committed insurrection over.)

SinSizzleSmile
Long Live Democracy...Long Live a Free Press.
Best Show Ever ....LOCK HIM UP!!!....
4 users thanked SinSizzle for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 2/1/2021(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/1/2021(UTC), rolichan on 2/2/2021(UTC), LazTopCat on 2/3/2021(UTC)
divingA_WnC
#3 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2021 9:46:44 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Hi Sin_Sizzle,

that was a profound and very convincing answer for which I am very grateful. The answer makes sense, sounds very logical and therefore credible, if I think about it correctly, I think: "Yes, I think so in the kind it was also explained to me at the time", but I had not remembered the answer at the time.
Once again my heartfelt thanks for that.

What astonishes me, however, is your statement concerning the teaching of geography and other subjects in the USA. I would not have thought that Berlin can actually overtake other countries with its education system. You must know that education policy in Germany is under the sovereignty of the federal states. In competition with other states, Berlin is doing very poorly, there are worlds between the quality of teaching between, for example, Bavaria or Baden-Württemberg and Berlin.

Everyone stay healthy, take care of yourselves and your fellow man,

divi

He who does not submit to the laws, must leave the area where they apply. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
3 users thanked divingA_WnC for this useful post.
SinSizzle on 2/1/2021(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/1/2021(UTC), rolichan on 2/2/2021(UTC)
x_xKirax_x
#4 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2021 10:48:33 AM(UTC)

The History Channel did a series on how the different states got their shapes https://www.history.com/...-states-got-their-shapes
5 users thanked x_xKirax_x for this useful post.
SinSizzle on 2/1/2021(UTC), divingA_WnC on 2/1/2021(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/1/2021(UTC), rolichan on 2/2/2021(UTC), LazTopCat on 2/3/2021(UTC)
SinSizzle
#5 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2021 11:25:26 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Hi Sin_Sizzle,

that was a profound and very convincing answer for which I am very grateful. The answer makes sense, sounds very logical and therefore credible, if I think about it correctly, I think: "Yes, I think so in the kind it was also explained to me at the time", but I had not remembered the answer at the time.

What astonishes me, however, is your statement concerning the teaching of geography and other subjects in the USA. I would not have thought that Berlin can actually overtake other countries with its education system. You must know that education policy in Germany is under the sovereignty of the federal states. In competition with other states, Berlin is doing very poorly, there are worlds between the quality of teaching between, for example, Bavaria or Baden-Württemberg and Berlin.

divi

Starting during the Reagan era, The GOP and later joined by some Democrats(read Bill Clinton) got heavily into the idea
of having performance measuring on schools by forcing every student and every grade to take a yearly exam run by the
various states education departments, but meeting criteria set by the US Dept of Education. From the results, teachers
were judged on the basis of how each class students performed on the tested subject/ and funding either made or denied to these public schools.

The trouble is the political decision was made to only focus the testing only on Math, English, and Science as so-called "practical"
subjects. Subjects like Art, Music, Drama, History, Civics were not examined, and since at the same time GOP
tea party type politicians took power in many states and cut school budgets, budgets only went to subjects that were being tested.
Many schools completely lost their music and art programs. History and Civics subjects suffered and were not tested because
of the political disagreement of "whose" version history or civics should be taught, so without a common consensus on
the "correct" answers to history and civics test items, no testing was performed, and history and civics classed were
defunded and sometimes dropped completely.(that is the answer why so many younger Americans have NO understanding
of their country's or world history, and NO understanding of how the political decision are made. This was
the result of conscious political decisions to cut school budgets and refrain from teaching subjects.) Never fear
though, American High School Football programs were always well funded and staffed (given that they provide local bread and circus
fun for many American communities). Also, science suffered in many states, when evangelical politicians demanded that
"creationism"( the biblical version of how Man and the World came about( God created everything in 7 days, no evolution, man
and dinosaur lived together).. either be treated on the same standing as modern science i.e evolution, the big bang creation'
of the universe etc) or be replaced completely by creationism and interfered with the selection of textbooks and denying funding to schools that taught real science.

I understand your pain on the quality of Berlin schools. My state Arizona went from being in the top 10 of American States
for school quality and funding under 30 years of GOP tea party state government funding cuts to NOW ranking 49th. (Only Mississippi is worse).

It's not a good story or one this country should be proud of
but that is the story of why we got an abundance of ignorant idiots running around(doing things like storming congress,
believing in cults etc), why so many Americans couldn't point out New York City or Los Angeles on the map,
oh hell ... many of them couldn't find their own city or county on a map of their own state. It is all the pretty much
the expected result of 40 or so years of conscious political decisions on some politician's part.

SinSizzleBrick wall
3 users thanked SinSizzle for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 2/1/2021(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/1/2021(UTC), rolichan on 2/2/2021(UTC)
divingA_WnC
#6 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2021 12:08:01 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: SinSizzle Go to Quoted Post
Hi Sin_Sizzle,

divi

Starting during the Reagan era, The GOP and later joined by some Democrats(read Bill Clinton) got heavily into the idea
of having performance measuring on schools by forcing every student and every grade to take a yearly exam run by the
various states education departments, but meeting criteria set by the US Dept of Education. From the results, teachers
were judged on the basis of how each class students performed on the tested subject/ and funding either made or denied to these public schools.

The trouble is the political decision was made to only focus the testing only on Math, English, and Science as so-called "practical"
subjects. Subjects like Art, Music, Drama, History, Civics were not examined, and since at the same time GOP
tea party type politicians took power in many states and cut school budgets, budgets only went to subjects that were being tested.
Many schools completely lost their music and art programs. History and Civics subjects suffered and were not tested because
of the political disagreement of "whose" version history or civics should be taught, so without a common consensus on
the "correct" answers to history and civics test items, no testing was performed, and history and civics classed were
defunded and sometimes dropped completely.(that is the answer why so many younger Americans have NO understanding
of their country's or world history, and NO understanding of how the political decision are made. This was
the result of conscious political decisions to cut school budgets and refrain from teaching subjects.) Never fear
though, American High School Football programs were always well funded and staffed (given that they provide local bread and circus
fun for many American communities). Also, science suffered in many states, when evangelical politicians demanded that
"creationism"( the biblical version of how Man and the World came about( God created everything in 7 days, no evolution, man
and dinosaur lived together).. either be treated on the same standing as modern science i.e evolution, the big bang creation'
of the universe etc) or be replaced completely by creationism and interfered with the selection of textbooks and denying funding to schools that taught real science.

I understand your pain on the quality of Berlin schools. My state Arizona went from being in the top 10 of American States
for school quality and funding under 30 years of GOP tea party state government funding cuts to NOW ranking 49th. (Only Mississippi is worse).

It's not a good story or one this country should be proud of
but that is the story of why we got an abundance of ignorant idiots running around(doing things like storming congress,
believing in cults etc), why so many Americans couldn't point out New York City or Los Angeles on the map,
oh hell ... many of them couldn't find their own city or county on a map of their own state. It is all the pretty much
the expected result of 40 or so years of conscious political decisions on some politician's part.

SinSizzleBrick wall

Hi Sin_Sizzle,
who would have ever thought that an exciting discussion could develop in this topic, originally intended only to help my children and me.

Let's go back for a while to a time that was partially very dark for Germany, to the time of the unfortunate regime of the GDR. I am a result of this time, was born on the wrong side of the wall and grew up there until the wall came down.

I still suffer from the failures of that regime today, I realize that every day when I try to talk to someone in English or write in English here in RLC. English lessons in the GDR were given only to the very privileged, the children of the 110% state-loyal party bigwigs and careerists.

Everyone else had to learn Russian as their first and often only foreign language. Here and there, this or that person was allowed to learn Spanish for the "dear" brothers in Havana or Santiago de Chile, so that we could continue to enjoy the miserable Cuban oranges that never met demand.

The history lessons? Taught only one thing: what delightfully harmless choirboys the Russians are when they are not heroically fighting for the Fatherland and heroically rescuing the women and children of captured villages and towns from the enemy. Hahaha.

America? That wasn't even covered in geography class as far as the USA is concerned, in history class we were only taught what an evil decadent and corrupt people live there.

It may sound a bit dramatic when I say that this kind of dyed-in-the-wool teaching caused me a lot of trauma, which I would like to spare my children. That is why I personally attach great importance to accompanying my children through school and supporting them with all the strength at my disposal.

And this is the point where I now also have to hook in. Yes, politics with all its wrong decisions can do a lot of damage. But when it comes to the education of our children, it is not only the state/country that has a duty, every single parent has a duty as well. If I do not agree with certain learning content or textbooks, then I must first bring this up to the right people at school and, in addition, draw the consequences at home to supplement missing learning content or correct incorrect ones.

For men there is a very hard saying in Germany, concerning the alimony to be paid. It goes like this: "One hour Rittmeister, 27 years Zahlmeister (paymaster)." Meaningfully translated: for one hour of sex you have to pay 27 years. I like to adopt this word these days, changing the text only slightly by replacing paymaster with instructor. "One hour Rittmeister, 27 years mentor/teacher".

Maybe it's a bit of what Kennedy meant when he said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

divi

SinSizzle on 2/1/2021(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/1/2021(UTC), rolichan on 2/2/2021(UTC)
SinSizzle
#7 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2021 1:09:33 PM(UTC)

Medals:

Hi Sin_Sizzle,
who would have ever thought that an exciting discussion could develop in this topic, originally intended only to help my children and me.

Let's go back for a while to a time that was partially very dark for Germany, to the time of the unfortunate regime of the GDR. I am a result of this time, was born on the wrong side of the wall and grew up there until the wall came down.

I still suffer from the failures of that regime today, I realize that every day when I try to talk to someone in English or write in English here in RLC. English lessons in the GDR were given only to the very privileged, the children of the 110% state-loyal party bigwigs and careerists.

Everyone else had to learn Russian as their first and often only foreign language. Here and there, this or that person was allowed to learn Spanish for the "dear" brothers in Havana or Santiago de Chile, so that we could continue to enjoy the miserable Cuban oranges that never met demand.

The history lessons? Taught only one thing: what delightfully harmless choirboys the Russians are when they are not heroically fighting for the Fatherland and heroically rescuing the women and children of captured villages and towns from the enemy. Hahaha.

America? That wasn't even covered in geography class as far as the USA is concerned, in history class we were only taught what an evil decadent and corrupt people live there.

It may sound a bit dramatic when I say that this kind of dyed-in-the-wool teaching caused me a lot of trauma, which I would like to spare my children. That is why I personally attach great importance to accompanying my children through school and supporting them with all the strength at my disposal.

And this is the point where I now also have to hook in. Yes, politics with all its wrong decisions can do a lot of damage. But when it comes to the education of our children, it is not only the state/country that has a duty, every single parent has a duty as well. If I do not agree with certain learning content or textbooks, then I must first bring this up to the right people at school and, in addition, draw the consequences at home to supplement missing learning content or correct incorrect ones.

For men there is a very hard saying in Germany, concerning the alimony to be paid. It goes like this: "One hour Rittmeister, 27 years Zahlmeister (paymaster)." Meaningfully translated: for one hour of sex you have to pay 27 years. I like to adopt this word these days, changing the text only slightly by replacing paymaster with instructor. "One hour Rittmeister, 27 years mentor/teacher".

Maybe it's a bit of what Kennedy meant when he said, "Ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

divi

Divi,
I completely agree with your statement that is a parent's responsibility to educate and make up for the lapses of state-provided education.
I worry about the effect of shoddy or indifferent attention that some parents are providing the current generation of students
in the current pandemic during the homeschooling lockdowns.

As to language lol, there is an old joke in the US... "What is another name for somebody who mono-lingual? ....American"

Starting in the 19th Century, the government forced assimilation of non-English speaking immigrants by discouraging and banning teaching in any language other than English. The hostility to foreign language instruction extended not just from banning the use of native-language instruction but to fairly active discouragement of even teaching second language instruction. That practice largely continues today
with rather unfunded and rather shoddy teaching of foreign languages in American schools. For example, myself technically
had about 7 years of Spanish(common in the western states). starting in the 7th grade, and going into college. I can
barely read the language, can not understand spoken Spanish, and due to my Northern Rocky Mountain accent, I acquired growing up
have the most atrocious form of a North American Spanish accent. (My regional accent is almost unnoticeable in English, but
in Spanish due to the accent's dropping of last syllables, it almost completely mangles Spanish losing all verb tense
conjugation and word gender). American Foreign language schooling is generally atrocious, and we pay the price
in that foreign business negotiations almost completely rely on the foreigners speaking English, because nobody
on the American Negotiating team can adequately speak the other language. I am actually more comfortable in Japanese
that I learned with about 1 year of schooling to work in Japan, than Spanish which I had 7 years of.

Mostly French(mostly in Eastern states) and Spanish(Western and Florida0 and Latin are taught. some German is taught
mostly in Midwest, where there was substantial German immigration in 19th Century...

You mentioned Russian, as a child of the cold war, there was a brief period during my last 2 years of high school, where
the government briefly encouraged Russian language study. Done for the purpose of developing translators to better understand and crush
the hated "Enemy". My school introduced the course, and I thought about taking it, because Spanish class was so bad, and getting
fluent in Russian would probably have made getting a career in Military Intelligence or the CIA a given. With the collapse
of the wall and the end of the cold war, that brief experiment in Russian Language instruction in the US quickly died out,
since we were no longer planning the demise of the soviet state and Russian people.

SinSizzleRolleyes

3 users thanked SinSizzle for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 2/1/2021(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/1/2021(UTC), rolichan on 2/2/2021(UTC)
divingA_WnC
#8 Posted : Monday, February 01, 2021 8:43:17 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Hello Sin_Sizzle, hello everyone else,

a little post for you all, dedicated to Sin_Sizzle, just some music that your various statements inspired me to, music that went through my head when I read your last post.

The first song is simple, it explains from the lyrics of the song why I was inspired to listen to this song.

Here comes the song:

To understand the second piece of music in the context of your statements is complicated, if we leave aside the fact that it is a very famous Russian singer at the time, who expresses his inner conflict between love for his fatherland on the one hand and his hatred for the same fatherland, his rebellious thoughts on the other hand very specifically with this song.

Vladimir Semyonovich Vyssotsky (born January 25, 1938 in Moscow; died July 25, 1980 ibid) was a Russian actor, poet and singer.

Even though his (very few) records were released on the state-owned Melodija label, Vysocki was an extremely uncomfortable poet and singer for the state. In his songs he also sang about topics that officially did not exist in the Soviet Union: prostitution, crime, anti-Semitism. He is still a household name in Russia and the other former Soviet republics, where he is considered the greatest songwriter of the 20th century.

Since most of his songs were not published by the official side due to their liberal and critical content, tape recordings of his concerts were distributed on the samizdat principle and circulated millions of times throughout the country. Vysotsky made his living by means of his engagements in the Taganka Theater and in the films in which he was allowed to act after all, despite the resistance of the authorities.

Listen to the original here:

And here the song again, but this time presented in an American film with a terrific ballet interlude, danced to the song already presented above. None other than Mikhail Baryshnikov dances to the music of Vladimir Vysotsky, it doesn't get much more magnificent than this. Of course, I do it easier, because thanks to my school education I am able to understand the song sung in Russian.

divi

SinSizzle on 2/1/2021(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/2/2021(UTC), rolichan on 2/2/2021(UTC)