Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.

Poll Question : Would you be willing to host a class?
Choice Votes Statistics
  Yes, I would love to help those that want to learn
76 %
  No, let them figure it out themselves
9 %
  No, I need something to bitch about
4 %
  Only if I get paid
9 %
(Poll is closed) Total 21 100%
Guests can't vote. Try and register. The poll is expired.

3 Pages<123>
Would you be willing to host a class?
A_Seddy
#21 Posted : Friday, February 14, 2020 9:10:30 AM(UTC)

Medals:
The classes I could offer to start with are:
- World Texture Editor
- Prop-Editor including textures
- Landscaping
- Stairs for beginners if needed (straight ones, round I have never done so far)

The classes I would be interested taking myself:
- Lighting
- Shadows
2 users thanked A_Seddy for this useful post.
Xo_Mj_oX on 2/14/2020(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/14/2020(UTC)
Paul_FW
#22 Posted : Saturday, February 15, 2020 6:37:50 PM(UTC)

Just as a Simple trial I have made a html and Mp3 audio file for a basic park vacant to set ambient and directional light to match the natural sky of the template.

Please can you test them if you feel like it, as not sure if good enough to follow. I suggest you download and play audio file in mini player, so easy to pause to follow.
Didn't want to get to carried away, until a simple trial had been used.

http:\\trikkiworld.com\p...ons\1_basic_lighting.htm

http:\\trikkiworld.com\p..._lighting_1_lesson_1.mp3

Feedback welcome. Smile
3 users thanked Paul_FW for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 2/15/2020(UTC), A_Seddy on 2/16/2020(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/16/2020(UTC)
Sweetpea
#23 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 9:55:04 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Siren Go to Quoted Post
Ill happily do my lighting basics class again i did enjoy it.

everyone would either have to have skype and headset or at least be able to listen, dont have to speak.

the class is only about 30/45 minutes long

xxx

I reached out to Siren about her offer of this class and getting it set up.

We will keep you informed when/where to sign up.
Great Minds Discuss Ideas, Average Minds Discuss Events, Simple Minds Discuss People...Eleanor Roosevelt
It's true, It's true, It's all about me!
2 users thanked Sweetpea for this useful post.
A_Seddy on 2/16/2020(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/17/2020(UTC)
Sweetpea
#24 Posted : Sunday, February 16, 2020 10:03:18 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Paul_FW Go to Quoted Post
Just as a Simple trial I have made a html and Mp3 audio file for a basic park vacant to set ambient and directional light to match the natural sky of the template.

Please can you test them if you feel like it, as not sure if good enough to follow. I suggest you download and play audio file in mini player, so easy to pause to follow.

Feedback welcome. Smile

Hi Paul,

I listened to this and went through what you had written out. I think this will be helpful at least to me once I have more of the basics down so that I can apply this same lesson to more than just the basic park.

Thank you for taking the time to do this, it would be nice if this was part of the Super Zaby list, but now that Dusty is gone, I don't know who would update it.
Great Minds Discuss Ideas, Average Minds Discuss Events, Simple Minds Discuss People...Eleanor Roosevelt
3 users thanked Sweetpea for this useful post.
A_Seddy on 2/16/2020(UTC), Paul_FW on 2/17/2020(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/17/2020(UTC)
Paul_FW
#25 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 4:24:21 AM(UTC)

Feedback welcome. Smile

As an addition I have made the 2nd step to creating the small round island in the middle of a sea with sunset.

http://trikkiworld.com/portraye...ons/2_basic_lighting.htm
http://trikkiworld.com/portraye...ighting_1 lesson_two.mp3

More to follow.
2 users thanked Paul_FW for this useful post.
Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/17/2020(UTC), A_Seddy on 2/17/2020(UTC)
A_Seddy
#26 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2020 11:00:27 AM(UTC)

Medals:

As an addition I have made the 2nd step to creating the small round island in the middle of a sea with sunset.

More to follow.

Thank you so much for this Paul and it was great meeting you there :-) Keep up your great tutorials! ThumpUp
1 user thanked A_Seddy for this useful post.
Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/18/2020(UTC)
Paul_FW
#27 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 1:42:48 PM(UTC)

Will have to wait a bit for next instalment, as I have been told by the one and only deco god I am shit at lighting, obviously he want's the job as what I do is Quote Shit.

I was just trying to help people with some info that they could take their time to digest as a simple beginning of a very basic layout to learn the basics of lighting and the construction points of making it easier to use.

I have never in all the time I have been in utherverse put down anyone's work or creations , as I know that the best way to help people improve is to offer advice encouragement and help where you can, my motto is ill never look at you abilities, and diminish them but encourage to improve the enjoyment that have from decorating.

Obviously I am doing it all wrong and I am way way out of tune with the capabilities of the superior.
https://forums.uthervers...orators.aspx#post1623877

3 users thanked Paul_FW for this useful post.
BB_Licious on 2/18/2020(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/18/2020(UTC), A_Seddy on 2/19/2020(UTC)
Sweetpea
#28 Posted : Tuesday, February 18, 2020 3:07:21 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Will have to wait a bit for next instalment, as I have been told by the one and only deco god I am shit at lighting, obviously he want's the job as what I do is Quote Shit.

I was just trying to help people with some info that they could take their time to digest as a simple beginning of a very basic layout to learn the basics of lighting and the construction points of making it easier to use.

I have never in all the time I have been in utherverse put down anyone's work or creations , as I know that the best way to help people improve is to offer advice encouragement and help where you can, my motto is ill never look at you abilities, and diminish them but encourage to improve the enjoyment that have from decorating.

Obviously I am doing it all wrong and I am way way out of tune with the capabilities of the superior.
https://forums.uthervers...orators.aspx#post1623877

I feel bad for Manequin, that post was created with good intentions and has since spiraled out of control. I have been in places where they are so bad, but instead of telling them how bad it is, I try to find one good thing and then give them tips.

I hope that those that look at my work would do the same for me. That is one of the things I really like how Dawl and I have structured the Decorator vs Theme challenge. We give each deco team the comments the judges make on their builds. Yes it is anonymous as to what judge made what comment. But there are a lot of good tips to help improve in those comments. One doesn't have to be malicious and tear people down when you can teach or give tips on ways you do things.

I was watching Anhton_Novo try your lighting tutorials last night and please keep them coming.

Besides, I don't want a decorator badge, I don't need a badge so people know that I'm a deco. If they look at my profile they will know.
4 users thanked Sweetpea for this useful post.
Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/18/2020(UTC), BB_Licious on 2/19/2020(UTC), A_Seddy on 2/19/2020(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 2/19/2020(UTC)
Paul_FW
#29 Posted : Wednesday, February 19, 2020 7:09:42 AM(UTC)

Feedback welcome. Smile

More to follow.

Here is Lesson 3
This one takes a lot longer to make, as it has a construction of simple building and its light area.

http://trikkiworld.com/portraye.../3a_b_basic_lighting.htm
http://trikkiworld.com/portraye...g_1_lesson_three_a_b.mp3

Ill Leave the next addition for a while as the last one took a good time to type, and annotate correctly for text to speech.

When its built and you have saved a layout, play with the R G B settings, using the link from Rapid tables in frst session, to get a better feel for colours, and Z scales of Signs for intensity.
7 users thanked Paul_FW for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 2/19/2020(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 2/19/2020(UTC), A_Seddy on 2/19/2020(UTC), Sweetpea on 2/19/2020(UTC), LazTopCat on 2/20/2020(UTC), CCD_Rum on 3/8/2020(UTC), rolichan on 10/10/2021(UTC)
A_Seddy
#30 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2020 1:52:38 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Hey folks, now since indeed many new members are coming in I think it's about time to revive this initiative. A nice group of volunteers has emerged here, time to put it into action.
Sandra_SD_SoF on 3/21/2020(UTC)
SaphyreRose
#31 Posted : Saturday, March 21, 2020 8:53:37 PM(UTC)

Medals:

My input.

If any classes merge and move forward any member to teach those said classes needs to be vetted and that does include and should include viable vetting. One must remember if UV / RLC decide to to this - they are ultimately responsible for said vetting of those people. That is a huge undertaking.
To bring your relationshipto the forums? Go ahead skip along behind a Roman soldier to the Arena; tie on your neck a steak & lay next to starving lion! Better luck!~SR There is no marvel in a woman learning to speak, but there would be in teaching her to hold her tongue~ER I won because I actually made a float - and didn't leave it as a truck.
1 user thanked SaphyreRose for this useful post.
Cassey on 3/21/2020(UTC)
A_Seddy
#32 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 2:10:37 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: SaphyreRose Go to Quoted Post

My input.
If any classes merge and move forward any member to teach those said classes needs to be vetted and that does include and should include viable vetting. One must remember if UV / RLC decide to to this - they are ultimately responsible for said vetting of those people. That is a huge undertaking.

Maybe I am too naive, but right now I can't see what would need to be vetted if I take a small group of new users to one of my empty properties and show them how to use e.g. WTE and let them try it out themselves?
Paul_FW
#33 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 3:03:21 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: SaphyreRose Go to Quoted Post

My input.

I see your point Rose, As with the LD programme, anything that takes vetting, requires administration, anything that requires Administration requires rays to be vetted.
In all honesty, I do think that vetting is just going to deter people from helping others and giving people a start into what every they do. Some decorate for fun and never want to sell but just enjoy creating on what ever level of ability.
Once vetting starts, it will just become another business, create a user ability level of information provided out of good will, as long as advice or info is free its either good or bad the recipient has to decide, if its not good try another, as learning by mistakes is the way of humans.
I realise that qualified information is always a good thing and less confusing for any beginner, but Utherverse does provide from the Social centre the very beginning basics of Decorating, so that is qualified.
You can't Vet the Net, 90% of information on the net is just opinion and a collation or distortion of others input, so some of what people say is 50/50 through divergence.
Referral is always a better lead towards information, as others that read free information, will probably direct the enquiring to good information to save them having to produce information all again.
Shame Dustys Super Zaby list is never going to have the involvement it once did, but there is enough to help anyone with the will to researchSmile

As with all learning, people take in information in different ways, if you have a trade skill and learn from many peoples advice, you will then have a divergence of creation and formulate your own style by picking information from the sources of information, and have your own ways of doing things. Ability and Style is an output from the information you trust through development of your own abilities.
SmileSmile

Edit: I really do get your point about vetting, but decorating and information of technical aspects does not create style,
Just as WG some are verified some are not, people take their chances, and what suits one may not suit another, its not set in stone as to what is good or bad by the recipients, it is ultimately down to choices, but yes slightly different as to be sure if in the case of WG if you are actually with a woman or man, regardless of orientation, as with Decorators its down to what is created or ripped off.
If people like what they receive and happy with what they pay, is there any harm done , its a tricky scenario. Smile
1 user thanked Paul_FW for this useful post.
SaphyreRose on 4/8/2020(UTC)
marta
#34 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 3:40:27 AM(UTC)

I see both opinions correct.
From a point of view, it is like a private piano lesson and a course at the conservatory.
The conservatory must guarantee a certain level of teaching and therefore makes a selection of teachers etc. Those who attend private lessons know that the level of the lessons can be variable. This is not necessarily a defect and does not imply that all professors chosen by the conservatory are better than others, as other types of lessons can be more creative and suitable for the student's skills and expectations.

In my opinion, the basic mistake was to set up this discussion within the Uther Academy which, like the conservatory, has important procedures.
If instead, the request for lessons had been asked to the normal deco in the WWV and Zaby forum section, perhaps they would have started immediately Wink
3 users thanked marta for this useful post.
A_Seddy on 3/22/2020(UTC), Paul_FW on 3/22/2020(UTC), SaphyreRose on 4/8/2020(UTC)
A_Seddy
#35 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 3:42:51 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I have the feeling that there is a misunderstanding here. This initiative started by Sweetpea is not intended to be a training program for future business decorators nor to compete with current licensed decorators/business.
It is a capacity building initiative for new members and those who never learned the basics of deco to help them fix little problems or add new things to their Zabys/properties themselves. E.g. last night I had a case of a member who has returned to UV/RLC after years of absence and found his places in a big PB mess (watermarks everywhere). He understandably was very desperate about this. So we went to one of his places and I explained to him step by step how to fix this himself. Nothing big at all, but very efficient.
Prop Editor and WTE are part of everyone's software client and everyone has the right to use them in their places, that is part of the fun of the game. Just many don't know to properly use them and many of these members don't know about this forum either as well as all the know how they can find here.
2 users thanked A_Seddy for this useful post.
SaphyreRose on 4/8/2020(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 4/8/2020(UTC)
A_Seddy
#36 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 3:44:48 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: __marta__ Go to Quoted Post
From a point of view, it is like a private piano lesson and a course at the conservatory.
The conservatory must guarantee a certain level of teaching and therefore makes a selection of teachers etc. Those who attend private lessons know that the level of the lessons can be variable. This is not necessarily a defect and does not imply that all professors chosen by the conservatory are better than others, as other types of lessons can be more creative and suitable for the student's skills and expectations.

In my opinion, the basic mistake was to set up this discussion within the Uther Academy which, like the conservatory, has important procedures.
If instead, the request for lessons had been asked to the normal deco in the WWV and Zaby forum section, perhaps they would have started immediately Wink

Thank you Marta, you have hit the nail! ThumpUp
SaphyreRose on 4/8/2020(UTC)
Paul_FW
#37 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 3:45:07 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: __marta__ Go to Quoted Post

Totally Agree Marta, Perhaps SG should move this thread to the VWW And Zaby Forum, then Its just a thread of information for people that can take it or leave it, rather that it being tagged to Utherverse academy, if that is still functioning Smile
Red_Queen
#38 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 4:31:39 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I know this idea has been floating around, and we also have been getting enquiries from users via many channels, not just the forums. And so far this has been discussed internally aswell. If we pick this up, the idea behind it is that it should be done correctly. What correctly means is still up for debate.

There is a few things that would need to be addressed in order to make this feasable.

The main questions that seem to go around for us are:

1) Quality, and how can we upkeep this?
2) What classes are going to be given?
3) Who is going to teach this?
4) How to enlist students?
5) How can we keep this low maintenance?
6) Fees and earnings?
7) Recognition of the program?

A few thought points on these questions, these are mostly my own personal opinions:

1) Quality seems to be a big thing. I personally am all for quality, meaning whatever is going to be teached should be at a sufficient level, eg. the teacher should know what they talking about. I walk around Utherverse all the time, there is a lot of different creation going on, however, I have also noticed there is a lot of variety in quality. With quality I mainly mean the technical aspects of certain things. A few of the most common qaulity issues I have withnesses even amoungst the more seasoned decoraters, are hotlinking, poor image size, large file sizes, and poor understanding of collidable mechanics.

I do think a lot of this is to blame Utherverse, for simply dropping quality programs like the licensed decorator program. And stopped teaching deco entirely or doing much with UtherAccademy.

2) While it seems mostly deco is exclusively discussed in this forum thread, there are other aspects that could be thought. Such as clothing design, texture design, and perhaps creation of custom props by putting several other props together, etc.

Though the need of sex teacher is debatable Tongue

I don't think it be wise to simple "teach deco" this is far to broad of a subject. It should probably be devided into manageble bite sized pieces.

3) Simply saying your qaulified to teach, does not mean you are able to teach. Meaning there would need to be something in place, in order to test or examine the skills of the teacher. This might prove to be the biggest problem, atleast from a standpoint of Utherverse. As this would be time consuming for us to check volunteer teachers. One of the ideas floating around is to perhaps do online testing. This would ensure that each of the recognized teachers would be sufficiently adaquate in their field. With that also comes the problem of documentation. If we would test, we would need to have the correct information out there. While this is the case, it's not always as easy to find currently. It is pretty much scattered around the websites.

4) This might be one of the easier subjects to tackle, such as we can advertise for this, the teachers would be able to advertise themselves for the classes they holding. I know there was an ambassador program for UtherAccademy, however I am not sure what's the state of that currently ...
The bigger query here is number of students. In the past the licensed deco program attracted very few students. It was deemed hard to pass, or simply most couldn't be bothered to invest the time. The program was also big, so cutting it up into pieces would be benificial to students. However, will this mean we will still have more 1 on 1 classes or should this be more a group thing where we have 5 students and 1 teacher?

5) This might seem silly to most users outthere, but keeping this as low as treshold for staff would mean lower costs, meaning a longer longevity of these programs. The more this would be run by users the more change this would have to be something Utherverse would want to setup. And with this I am not talking about the initial setup, this is gonna cost time no matter what. But the upkeep down the line should be relatively kept to a minumum. And this would in turn free up staff time to do other more productive things like adding new content to the game.

6) Should it be free? Should it cost something? Who is going to collect the rays if it costs something? Would it be more serious taken by those users who pay a (small) fee? I don't think anyone wants to waste their time on this, and it be silly if your a teacher and you put in the time and students don't show up.

7) While in the past we had a the licensed deco program, I participated in this, and I was never a fan of how this was conducted, not to mention it was pretty pricy (500 rays per trimester). That said, users would need to know somehow if your a qaulified teacher, so this most likely will require the building of a website where we can list these teachers. Secondly, a badge might be needed for recognition ingame.

As for students, it becomes a question of will this be "graded" in order words is this something we want to see where students have to take an exam. This used to be the case with the LD program. I also indicated I was personally not a fan of the program, it would give people a badge and some perks over others. Though I am not against some certification we can hand out to be put on profiles. I am very much for an achievement system aswell in that regard.

Conclusion
I would like your opinion on these matters. What are your thoughts on these concerns? Are we over analyzing it, making it more complicated then it should be? Or are you in agreement and feel we should put a bigger program outthere. Are there more concerns that you all can think of?
8 users thanked Red_Queen for this useful post.
A_Seddy on 3/22/2020(UTC), Paul_FW on 3/22/2020(UTC), Xo_Mj_oX on 3/22/2020(UTC), LazTopCat on 3/22/2020(UTC), marta on 3/22/2020(UTC), Pytch on 3/22/2020(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 3/22/2020(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 3/23/2020(UTC)
Paul_FW
#39 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 5:13:38 AM(UTC)

I was not a fan of the LD programme, not only its price but also the way it functioned.

I witnessed some very creative decorators and technically very capable, but for an example and i am not putting anyone down that takes on this kind of work it is very difficult and time consuming.

So you want to put a motor cycle together , or mechanical sex apparatus. and use it in a template world texture it and build your thing.

It has the required amount of props lined up and is technical correct. you passSmile
I have seen people fail on the ground of building a club that has steps that float in the air, it was a fail as not technically correct, but if built as a stairway to the pearly gates a pass.

Who deemed what is fantasy and reality and correct incorrect because of style and creating a fantasy or a true to life re-creation.
The judging of what was pass and fail was down to how the people judging it received it, not on technical ability. Did they like the style or not played to major influence on pass or fail, if they could construct a room with a fish tank etc, that was good enough.

But just following the remit did not make a lot that passed a capable universal Decorator with all technical abilities, but it did not stop them producing other creations, they were not so converse with, and up selling via the title of LD.

There is so many years of information out in the forums now, with regard to clothing deco etc,

Why the need to make it official, and tag if the info works or it does not, I can tell how to drive a car, it does not make you Lewis Hamilton!

Personally I think the LD programme, is a negative aspect to creation, if you have a genuine enthusiasm to be a decorator, you will research and improve from dedication to the thing you enjoy making, and LD badge does what ,, it can mislead the Buyer into thinking everything is functional, technically correct so they part with rays more easily.

DO you remember the NON licenced decorator showroom emporium, where to be truth full, some of the non LD work was far superior to the ones that had the badge !

Or to put in simple terms having a WG badge does not make you a better fuck than one with out. but it creates that impression, and can be as misleading as it can positive.

Its all comes back to what it did before another money maker and a separation of LD and Non LD opinions. Where bad information by someone that lashed a few props together and knew the judge can say, well I am licenced your not so, I am right your wrong buy off me..

It Created a Bullshit of needless drama and contention, but Utherverse loved the incoming Rays.
So ask in forums and the knowledge base will Grow, as its already massive compared to what it used to be, and there are so many with the ability then to improve on what they do, that provides a more competitive and better quality creation, so Utherverse will have many more diverse quality creations for its User/Member base and world

I was never a fan of The Academy as it as I saw it was just another string of marketing Utherverse with little content and commitment for more up selling to justify its purpose.

And how many languages would a exam have to be in to make it un biased!
4 users thanked Paul_FW for this useful post.
Xo_Mj_oX on 3/22/2020(UTC), marta on 3/22/2020(UTC), A_Seddy on 3/22/2020(UTC), Pytch on 3/22/2020(UTC)
A_Seddy
#40 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2020 5:30:45 AM(UTC)

Medals:
First of all I wish to thank you @Red_Queen for all your very valuable thoughts! It's great to see that UV/RLC staff and volunteers are taking the time to evaluate our proposals and are looking for ways forward. ThumpUp This afternoon I shall further elaborate on all the questions you have raised here above and I am convinced now that something valuable for all members can emerge of this process. Thank you very much indeed!
4 users thanked A_Seddy for this useful post.
Xo_Mj_oX on 3/22/2020(UTC), LazTopCat on 3/22/2020(UTC), Paul_FW on 3/22/2020(UTC), Sandra_SD_SoF on 3/23/2020(UTC)