Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
failure of collidable surfaces
daernur
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:30:10 AM(UTC)

We are writing with an unusual problem which we have never experienced previously in 8 years in RLC. This problem has existed from the beginning of the build a few weeks ago. In a build with a beach angled at a 7.30 degree incline, we repeatedly fall through the collidable walking surface for no apparent reason. There are no other collidable props in the vicinity, we have inspected carefully for any remnants from previously deleted items, and cannot understand his phenomenon. For walking surfaces we have used court floors, surface water and flat planes, many removed and replaced repeatedly, all experiencing the same behavior. The walking surfaces have lengths changed from as long as 20,000 clicks to as short as 6,000 clicks, and the problem persists.
At this point I have exhausted all potential solutions of which I can conceive, and am totally at a loss on how to proceed.
We would welcome and appreciate any input.
Paul_FW
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 5:47:45 AM(UTC)

Medals:
daernur;1597177 wrote:
We are writing with an unusual problem which we have never experienced previously in 8 years in RLC. This problem has existed from the beginning of the build a few weeks ago. In a build with a beach angled at a 7.30 degree incline, we repeatedly fall through the collidable walking surface for no apparent reason. There are no other collidable props in the vicinity, we have inspected carefully for any remnants from previously deleted items, and cannot understand his phenomenon. For walking surfaces we have used court floors, surface water and flat planes, many removed and replaced repeatedly, all experiencing the same behavior. The walking surfaces have lengths changed from as long as 20,000 clicks to as short as 6,000 clicks, and the problem persists.
At this point I have exhausted all potential solutions of which I can conceive, and am totally at a loss on how to proceed.
We would welcome and appreciate any input.

Have you tried keeping the scale of surface water to no more than 2 and if more space needed put more of them together, ok more difficult when angled but perfect line up will allow walking from one collide to the next.

If you have a template with a waters edge or are less than 250 clicks above the template natural collides this can also result in feeling like avatar is walking in thick mud where one of the templates colidables meet another at an angle like walking out of water and result in some case s in falling through.

Generally Stretched collides will result in a weaker platform and also be even harder to take a ramp from them leading up.

Not sure if any of this will resolve your problem but hope it helps.
daernur
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:14:13 AM(UTC)

Thank you for your input.

I have also had problems with overstretched collidable surfaces in the past. In a test case i did a surface water with a scale factor of 1.0, and even a series of court floors next to each other scaled at 1.0, but the problem persisted. Still fell through not the edges but the middle of the surfaces. I also tried adjusting the angle a bit to no avail.

SifuPeter
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 15, 2019 12:07:04 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Your request is missing a few details that might reveal the issue. Like the height you aim to build on, and the exact scale.

In general it is best to do not mix textures and structure, aka, have a collidable prop AND a prop with a texture.

Also, and your question suggest this to be the issue: scaling is rather important, especially in the direction of the stair, the part where you begin your way upward.

I believe there are some links to PDFs I wrote about the sticky topic in the zaby tag. Good lady Dusty maintains it.

Enjoy
2 users thanked SifuPeter for this useful post.
Mrs_Andi_FWF on 8/16/2019(UTC), Never_Lost on 8/16/2019(UTC)
daernur
#5 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 5:07:23 AM(UTC)

Thank you for your response.

The center of the build is at x 30,000, y 50,000 and z 70,000. The ramp runs parallel to the z axis, and is centered at x 30,000, y 49548, and z 78543.

The surface water was scaled at x 1, y, 1 z 0.36.

There are no other collidable objects in the area (other that the two surface waters at either end.

The articles to which you referred are excellent: I devoured them when I first started hear some years ago.
Loving_INTENSE
#6 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 6:32:02 AM(UTC)

SifuPeter;1597226 wrote:
Your request is missing a few details that might reveal the issue. Like the height you aim to build on, and the exact scale.

In general it is best to do not mix textures and structure, aka, have a collidable prop AND a prop with a texture.

Also, and your question suggest this to be the issue: scaling is rather important, especially in the direction of the stair, the part where you begin your way upward.

I believe there are some links to PDFs I wrote about the sticky topic in the zaby tag. Good lady Dusty maintains it.

Enjoy

Hey Peter!

good to see you in Forums!

3 users thanked Loving_INTENSE for this useful post.
SifuPeter on 8/16/2019(UTC), Never_Lost on 8/16/2019(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 8/21/2019(UTC)
SifuPeter
#7 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 6:46:47 AM(UTC)

Medals:
You seem to have the correct items.

There are two other questions that follow from reading your reply carefully. You state that there are no other collidable objects. I assume you did check for red lines while in deco mode. It could be good to iterate through all objects by looking at the performance counters. It is not that those itself are important, but they can be a quick way to check where invisible objects lurk around. You might have some very large boxes deep outside this bubble. I designed the matrix build system as performance method. Yet it is possible you might have some big object way outside. If the performance counters do not reveal any object, maybe you need to click at each object in your list.

Alternative, if you still have space in your zaby, just change the z axis or x axis by putting a minus in front of all objects you can find in that bubble. (You can also drop the y by 80000 but that requires a fast mind)
Of course you then need to redo a landing point, but it might be the quickest way to get out of trouble.

It be good if you try to see what the issue is. If you drop through an angled collider then it in general is scaling (y axis mostly).

If you are stuck at the bottom of the stair then it could be that your collider is not deep enough. That happens rarely but still. Almost always it is the horizontal floor scaling that is the problem. If the scale in z or x is more than 2 you have your issue.

If you are stuck at the top of the stair step then it might require some fine tuning in scale and dept. (sorry for those that never made a stair... the following is kinda difficult to follow). Since we are 570y tall for a scale of 1y it follows that 0.01y scale = 5.7y position. Hence if you drop the y position of a collider by 6 and increase the scale by 0.01 you are now 0.3 misaligned with another collider. (6 - 5.7). This minute change is what sometimes stops us when two dissimilar objects are made collidable. Like a court floor next to a surface water might work in one way but stop you in the reverse. So by repeating the above steps you can cycle through 0.3, 0.6, 0.9, 0.2 (drop of 5), 0.5, 0,8, 0.1 (drop of 5), 0.4, 0,7, 1. Any of those might work.

Enjoy.

PS. I seem to have a few days off. Internet is censored where I live and it requires a fair bit of routing and VPN to have a quick look here. Working takes most of my daily life.
3 users thanked SifuPeter for this useful post.
Mrs_Andi_FWF on 8/16/2019(UTC), Cougar on 8/17/2019(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 8/21/2019(UTC)
daernur
#8 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 2:01:54 PM(UTC)

Thank you for taking the time. Getting on and off is just fine: its only in the middle of the prop that one falls. Happened with court floor, surface water and flat plane. No specific location: it varies from pass to pass.

I am positive there are no other objects which I might be hitting to cause the fall. I work very neatly, everything is in one scene, and no trash gets left.

I'm curious about vertical scaling being an issue in an angled collider. I have always kept the y scaling at 1.0 to avoid any alignment issues.

I have been building for 8 years and this is the first time I ever had a problem like this. Is a defective platform possible?
1 user thanked daernur for this useful post.
Never_Lost on 8/16/2019(UTC)
SifuPeter
#9 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 10:48:04 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Hmmm, I forgot how crappy the forum post reply works... Had to write it twice.

I always have tried to avoid spoiling the forum with nonsense, so have not put some partial explored experience in "rule". But since you did mention that the angled collider fails, I might have to risk being found wrong.

There in my experience at least three more unpublished issues beyond the y scale.

Sometimes rotation over z does unexpected things. In my test zaby (which is a decent idea to have. Just another place where you can quickly pull up a few things to test with same or similar numbers) I would sometimes not have any rotation despite a non-zero number in z. Or it would move wild and uncontrolled. But while the effect was persistent between visits, it did change by location. Or by duplicating the object and deleting the first. I did have more exciting things to do so gave up on this possible rotation z bug. You might have noticed that my free stair tool does keep the rotation of z at zero.

Another issue is rounding. Try jumping into the abyss. After half an hour falling your body starts to disintegrate with eyes, mouth and body parts moving in a disturbing macabre way.

The matrix build method was partial based on the above observation. It tries to use the view horizon of 42300 for speed, aka, you can create a bubble with that max size without getting a sky bleed and without having to process objects in other bubbles. This is best done by centering around the 70k xyz distance. However the rounding showed up sometimes on the 70k y. Stairs would sometimes fail. Hence the correction to keep the max distance at 50k in y direction.

I spend a fair bit of time in the granny engine. Many of my recommendations on optimizing were based on this. I wrote a none-deco viewer that solved a number of deco theft cases. That does not make me the final answer on everything, simply that I have at least some understanding when stating that the optimization will skip certain tasks to get a better frame rate. Hence if things are busy the body animation lags. So too the collider calculation. If there is an busy emitter, or laggy TV, you might while walking go inside the object before the kick-up pushes your y position to stay on top of the surface. Hence slides and stairs sometimes fail while facing something with a high load. Your performance counter might give an indication.

The least likely issue is that of squeezing. It appears that if scaling is really extreme (like a flat plane with 300x and 0.2z) then sometimes it fails. Again this is a rare phenomena that can be solved by moving a few points. My stair calculator warns if things get too "thin". The solution is obvious to replace the collider with something that has a none square box (like a pole or rail).

So I recommend to take one of the following actions:

Swap xz rotation and scale. This would flip the object without too much work but avoids the possible z bug
or
Move the bubble over x or z by putting a minus in front of the position of all the objects in that bubble.
or
Split your surface water into multiple to smooth the scale extremities.

Enjoy and good luck.

PS. Work demands my return. It was good to see that a world I much enjoyed a decade ago is still alive.
2 users thanked SifuPeter for this useful post.
Loving_INTENSE on 8/18/2019(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 8/21/2019(UTC)
aangel_l
#10 Posted : Friday, August 16, 2019 11:01:10 PM(UTC)

Medals:
i Dont have a clue as to why this works but if you keep the horizontal piece at 1 you should have very few problems. in other words a 1 wide top with as long as you wish then the angled sand and another 1 wide at the bottom. message me ill show you.
1 user thanked aangel_l for this useful post.
The_Black_Rieder on 8/21/2019(UTC)
The_Black_Rieder
#11 Posted : Saturday, August 17, 2019 3:54:21 PM(UTC)

This is most likely not the issue here. But for later groups of people I'd like to reiterate one problem that sometimes gets created. When a lot of long timers started they read the Zaby manual as this stuff was new out and the Devs rarely gave us a clue how to do stuff. This clearly showed the green chassis of any object sat clean on the floor, not poking through it.

Later generations of people came in with no modernised Zaby manual in evidence, in fact the existing manual was hidden from sight. A lot of these people started throwing objects in and often wondered why the floors had weaknesses. I went under a lot of these floors, believe you me some were the tiniest of gaps, and pushed the objects back up level with the floor. No more weakness and no more falling through the floor. In the many properties I visited the weakness was often in a random place nowhere near the object that poked through the floor. But on fixing it that weakness vanished and the floor was sound.

Again, that may not be the problem in this case but please people, take heed. Put your objects level with the floor, not protruding through it. And listen to SifuPeter, he has a great deal of experience and knowledge.
NOTE: My nick and image are from a company. That company allows people to use them both as long as they get permission and a licence. I have that and a certificate to prove it.

"These are not the Druids you are looking for..."
2 users thanked The_Black_Rieder for this useful post.
Loving_INTENSE on 8/18/2019(UTC), SifuPeter on 8/18/2019(UTC)
daernur
#12 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 5:07:06 AM(UTC)

A report summarizing this thread.

First, I would like to thank everyone who reached out to help. I appreciate the time and effort. Helping each other is what keeps our community here strong.

The basic problem was that while running on an inclined surface, the avi would fall through the surface. This problem occurred not at the ends, where one would suspect alignment issues, but in the middle of the surface. The problem occurred most frequently not when climbing or descending, but when running at a constant elevation. The problem was not isolated to one spot, but occurred at several locations. The problem was particularly pronounced when turning quickly.

For more background, the problem occurred whether the collidable surfaces were flat planes, court floors or surface waters, whether the surfaces were scaled to cover large areas or small, and whether or not there were overlapping surfaces. The area was carefully inspected, and there were no extraneous props with collidability that could have been causing the issue. The base elevation was 50000 in the y direction, but the issue also occurred at tests done at other elevations as well.

As a result of my research, I have concluded that the problem in inherent in sloped surfaces in RLC. The problem has never surfaced in my previous work, because the vast majority of slopes were stairs or narrow ramps, where one would naturally only move up and down. In this case, the sloped surface was a large inclined beach, where the most natural motion is to run along the beach perpendicular to the waterline at a constant elevation, rather that up and down.

The only solution available at this time is to redesign the scene. The beach itself is approximately 7000 clicks wide, covering 400 clicks of fall above the water line and 400 clicks below the waterline. Option one is to add rocks, piers, and such jutting out into the water with collidable surfaces underneath at the main elevation so that on cannot walk horizontally on the beach, but restricting access to the ramp to those areas where walking up and down will naturally occur. The second option is so shorten the inclined surface so that there is considerably less fall. The flat beach would be extended and the waterline raised. This will shorten the width of the inclined section, making it less likely that one will walk horizontally on it for long periods.

Should a reader find these conclusions incorrect, we would welcome the opportunity to improve our understanding.

Again, thanks to all who read this and offered their time and talents. Peace.
2 users thanked daernur for this useful post.
Christine_x on 8/20/2019(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 8/21/2019(UTC)
The_Black_Rieder
#13 Posted : Tuesday, August 20, 2019 1:41:58 PM(UTC)

I would also ask Siren from Exquisite Designs to comment on the problem. She has a wide scope of knowledge and has built a few beach properties. She also shows, when not too busy, a keen wish to help people where possible. Marta too has a wealth of information. By speaking to a group of people you are most likely to find the best result. Good luck and I wish you well.
NOTE: My nick and image are from a company. That company allows people to use them both as long as they get permission and a licence. I have that and a certificate to prove it.

"These are not the Druids you are looking for..."
1 user thanked The_Black_Rieder for this useful post.
SifuPeter on 8/21/2019(UTC)
marta
#14 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 2:51:07 AM(UTC)

Thanks Black Rieder,
I honestly don't remember finding the problem with the fall through the collided plane if tilted a few degrees.
I can say, however, that for the beaches is preferable to create a horizontal plane with a possible inclination of the final part towards the water for the simple reason that the avatars, when they are stopped in the movement above inclined ramps, they "slide" downwards, this means that it is impossible to make seats correctly or make dance floors because everyone slips into the sea.
4 users thanked marta for this useful post.
SifuPeter on 8/21/2019(UTC), MrStevenNorth on 8/21/2019(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 8/21/2019(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 8/22/2019(UTC)
SifuPeter
#15 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 10:25:58 AM(UTC)

Medals:
It might be useful to see if you could tilt the horizon. That is, normally water would be horizontal and the beach would be angled. But nothing stops you from tilting the water and everything else, aka the sky etc. That way the illusion would be similar, but with a flat collidable.
4 users thanked SifuPeter for this useful post.
marta on 8/21/2019(UTC), MrStevenNorth on 8/21/2019(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 8/21/2019(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 8/22/2019(UTC)
marta
#16 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 12:02:07 PM(UTC)

Agree with you, it's easy to fool the human mind with simple optical effects. So just tilt the visible parts such as sand, water, etc. to have the desired effect without incurring technical problems.
Example in my old work it seems that the sea is deeper moving away from the shore, despite the collided plane is horizontal as confirmed by Y=50471 in both pics.

3 users thanked marta for this useful post.
The_Black_Rieder on 8/21/2019(UTC), SifuPeter on 8/21/2019(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 8/22/2019(UTC)
MrStevenNorth
#17 Posted : Wednesday, August 21, 2019 12:05:57 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Wow! Welcome SifiPeter and Marta! Good to see you back again.
The forums are filled with such extremest right political filth. No Forum Monitors.

Good to see some intelligent artistic deco posts - may start reading the Forums again.

Warm Regards,

Steven
'We find ourselves confronted with something that challenges our very understanding of reality.
We may be sharing this fragile blue green oasis with an unknown other. One with a mysterious relationship to
humanity & its own interest in our world'. James Fox From his award-winning Documentary 'The Phenomenon' (about UAP's UFO's)

4 users thanked MrStevenNorth for this useful post.
marta on 8/21/2019(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 8/21/2019(UTC), SifuPeter on 8/21/2019(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 8/22/2019(UTC)
Stonedwookie
#18 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 12:41:37 AM(UTC)

put a second floor underneath make invisible use different kind of panel if need
Paul_FW
#19 Posted : Thursday, August 22, 2019 1:04:07 AM(UTC)

Medals:
The other thing to check, as over the past years of head scratching problems , I have come across, have you tried what you are doing in a new template, to eliminate the problem may be a template that glitches when purchasing, I have in the past had issues with collides and some animations of fish etc, that just would not resolve.

But on acquiring a new template and building the same, or even in some cases just applying a layout of the work already done to it, the problem up and vanished like a fart in the wind Smile