Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Private Messaging
CloverHoney
#1 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 9:32:10 PM(UTC)

I would like a question answered that has been on a few of our minds. Let's put rumors to rest and talk truth.  Is it true that some of the RLC staff can read all our PM's (PRIVATE messages) and do so frequently?
Intervader
#2 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 9:59:24 PM(UTC)

Medals:
This is not true.

We DO NOT have the ability to read messages. We rely on talking with users, hints, tips and screenshots.

CloverHoney
#3 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 10:01:41 PM(UTC)

Thanks for replying so quickly...rumors spread fast
bobarcher
#4 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 11:12:55 PM(UTC)

...but wouldn't you like to?...lol
cyberian
#5 Posted : Monday, September 18, 2006 11:30:44 PM(UTC)

[quote author=Intervader link=1158640331/0#1 date=1158641964]This is not true.

We DO NOT have the ability to read messages. We rely on talking with users, hints, tips and screenshots.
[/quote]

Actually, not to say anyone is lying per se, but the 'ability' is there, as it is with ANY chat board...It is the nature of the beast...Same way that God hears all prayers, ya know...

If you doubt, any user, VIP or basic, can prove it for themselves.

Assuming you've installed to the C: drive, default install, on XP go to Program Files\RedLightCenter\RedLightCenter, and open your 'debug.log' file...(Everyone has one, regardless of 'rank')

Now scroll through it, and you will find every line, not only what YOU typed in PM, but also what your recipient replied as well. The RLC servers have similar logs...

This is worth remembering though, when staff asks you to send in your debug logs...

So the 'rumors' as far as having the 'ability' are true CH...whether that ability is exploited and/or abused, I guess we just have to rely on the 'honor' system, eh?
SithDave
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 19, 2006 11:01:01 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Cyberian... you crack me up lol

under Technical Problems/Bugs �I too asked a question as to why that debug file saves that info...about our private chats etc.. and why they want us to send it to them when this crashes.. �Are we allowed to delete our pm and text from it before sending it off? �cus thats a bit of a privacy issue with me and im assuming ALOT of other people as well
Georgia_guy
#7 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2006 1:39:37 PM(UTC)

Like Cyberian said, doesn't matter, the data is on the server at some point. Easy to hit the "print" button. Smile
SithDave
#8 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2006 3:18:37 PM(UTC)

Medals:
guess we should make up code language then Smile

Blam
#9 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2006 7:15:11 PM(UTC)

Personally, I do not care if they can read my converstion, pm or not. If i have the want to say it, I will say it and it mostly does not matter who reads it. If I want it to be secure, MSN, Yahoo and other programs will do the job.
bobarcher
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2006 7:58:16 PM(UTC)

I don't care if they read my pm's either...no biggie...no state secrets
Brian
#11 Posted : Wednesday, September 20, 2006 8:50:34 PM(UTC)

Medals:
There was internal discussion about this issue a long time ago.  I personally demanded that the logs of private chats were never to be accessed.

There was an incident where someone of the staff nonetheless accessed a private user's message, and I then instructed our engineers to cease logging private chat on the servers.

I want to make sure that people feel free to say what they want in private.  I believe that RLC users must feel completely safe in talking about what they want, without concern that their private chat will ever be looked at or seen by anyone other than the intended recipient.

So, although the internet has security issues, and your computer may store things in it's logs files, I can say that there is mandate from the top that no one over here can access your private messages.  (Obviously, this refers to private chat within RLC.  PM's made on the chat board or in the social center must, by their nature, be stored on the servers...)

--Brian
bigmike
#12 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2006 1:35:40 PM(UTC)

good to know. as long as what i say in PVT stays in PVT im happy Smile good to know that our private convo's are not kept anywhere and we are always at the forefront of considerations :D
Highluv
#13 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2006 4:54:22 PM(UTC)

That is not a good thing to hear exspecialy when your new hear prvt is supposed to be prvt and i hope its not true an give em the benift of the doubt logic . we all need it sometimes
Highluv
#14 Posted : Thursday, September 21, 2006 5:12:36 PM(UTC)

I think there's nothing to worry about. I happen to believe Brian if for no other reason than the fact that I doubt the staff even has time to waste looking at our chat logs. The experience I've had from the staff members I've came in contact with lead me to believe that this is true.
cyberian
#15 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 9:29:24 PM(UTC)

Naivet� is cute...Not smart, but cute...

A word to the wise should suffice. The FACT remains, that the PMs ARE logged...Whether they are accessed or not is another matter, and one, like I said, that will remain on the 'honor' system.

But as anyone who works in a coporate environment will tell you, there is NO such thing as 'privacy' in cyberspace! RLC PM chat is no more, nor less secure than e-mail...IS there anyone out there who still believes your e-mail is 'private'? If so, I have a bridge I'd like to sell ya...

So be forewarned, regardless of what the so-called 'corporate policy' happens to be at present, in RLC, should any sort of 'actionable offense' ever involve RLC in ANY way, they will be compelled (by federal law, yes, even in Canada!) to turn over those logged chats if the court feels there is something of value to be found there.

It's just common sense...The 'illusion' of privacy, whether in e-mail, or in a beachroom, is exactly that...an ILLUSION! � � �Rant ended...'nuff said!
bobarcher
#16 Posted : Saturday, September 23, 2006 9:37:13 PM(UTC)

I want to buy a bridge...