Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
matching up collidible
Andi
#1 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 11:53:35 AM(UTC)

I'm having a terrible time with a new project, matching up collidibles. I've tried variations of each, surface water / plane_01 / Flat Plane / court floor / court ceiling. Nothing is oversized, I need suggestions please?

Ok never-mind, I lowered the height of both planes and for some reason it works now.
Quote:
"If only our eyes saw souls instead of bodies, how very different our ideals of beauty would be."

3 users thanked Andi for this useful post.
Loving_INTENSE on 6/29/2015(UTC), SaphyreRose on 6/30/2015(UTC), DurtyJay on 2/2/2016(UTC)
SaphyreRose
#2 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 12:57:20 PM(UTC)

Medals:

For a large area I use a surface water 02 for the collide floor. For smaller floors I use night candy stage

I use also a flat plane 01 for ramps / stairs (it has a invisible top til you tick 2 sided textures in the state tab. Also it has a blue bottom texture and top when 2 sided is ticked).

I reserve court floors for texturing large areas as it has a nice large repeat for seamless textures.

I was taught to take a floor you wish to use a collidable surface never larger than a 2.0 in the x and z and of course keep the Y at scale of 1.0.

If you are wishing to use a wall collide and have it meet with a floor - I use a fish tank glass for most and have the bottom collidable line ( in red) line up even with my avatar mid calf ( half way between bottom of foot and knee).

Yes the bottom of the wall collide is above the floor collide but this avoids "holes" whereas one can fall through.

R
To bring your relationshipto the forums? Go ahead skip along behind a Roman soldier to the Arena; tie on your neck a steak & lay next to starving lion! Better luck!~SR There is no marvel in a woman learning to speak, but there would be in teaching her to hold her tongue~ER I won because I actually made a float - and didn't leave it as a truck.
6 users thanked SaphyreRose for this useful post.
Loving_INTENSE on 6/29/2015(UTC), divingA_WnC on 6/29/2015(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 6/29/2015(UTC), Andi on 6/29/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 6/29/2015(UTC), DurtyJay on 2/2/2016(UTC)
Loving_INTENSE
#3 Posted : Monday, June 29, 2015 1:03:59 PM(UTC)

A collection of posts,

about resizing and collide alignment:

Quote:
X = WIDTH
Z= DEPTH
Y= HEIGHT

Y props/avis collidable height (boundary above prop): 570

-Y props collidable underneath: 25
RESIZING IS FROM CENTER OF MOST PROPS (center of rotation indicates the
resizing center, too)
X,Z HORIZONTAL props original collide: 100
increasing by 100 steps... as props resize

1.0 100
2.0 200
3.0 300
4.0 400

Vertical TOP collide RESIZE is 570 x prop resize! (top red box from top green box)
1.0 1x570 570
2.0 2x570 1140
3.0 3x570 1710
4.0 4x570 2280
Vertical BOTTOM collide is 25 x prop resize
1.0 1x25 25
2.0 2x25 50
3.0 3x25 75
4.0 4x25 100

{decimal points are rounded UP, in RLC
1.2 is 2
32.1 is 33}

STAIR STEPS: You can walk, up to 199 height, without need of stairs or steps.

when you have a landing area and a ramp area.. the collides, must overlap by a factor +0.04:
If ramps length should be 1400 long, (1400x700), {flat plane01} Z scale is 2.00 you add 0.04,
so the length goes to scale 2.04 (1428) to overlap landing.

THE PATH an AVI FOLLOWS, is ONLY THE TOP RED LINE OF COLLIDE BOUNDARIES!!

Originally Posted by: B_Joe Go to Quoted Post
I'm learning prop editing, and I really struggled with stairway ramp construction. I googled the forum, and googled some more, running lots of experiments between googlings. After two weeks, I was unsuccessful trying to build a working single flight stairway to the second floor level (approximately 1000 y units above ground floor level.) Then I ran across Tom_H_Decorator and his partner _Indis_, of the Visual Identity deco firm. They straightened me out and showed me how to build perfect stairway ramps quickly, no muss, no fuss, and working the first time, every time.

First, Tom's blog:

Tom_H_Decorator's Profile

He's posted a 5-part installment covering some of his deco techniques. He covers stairway construction in part 2, I believe.

Indis furnished an alignment tool (below) that makes alignment ridiculously easy and completely goof proof.

In summary, based on Tom's method and _Indis_' alignment tool, here's the procedure I worked out to build multi-flight stairways.

1. Use the Court Floor prop, texture double-sided, collidable on.

2. Start with a sloped ramp starting with the court floor's collision zone (NOT the court floor itself!) just beneath floor level. Set the length of the court floor section to whatever's appropriate to get to your desired level. (I build and place my horizontal landiing, just to use as a target, and adjust the length of the sloping court floor to match. A bit of cut-and-try is required but you can slightly vary the amount you sink the sloping section's collision zone beneath the floor to ease the task.

For a 1-story ramp that meets a horizontal landing y=1000 above the floor level, I used a Court Floor section scaled on the X dimension at 2.50, sloped upward at 30 degrees, and placed 328 y units above floor level.

3. Proper alignment requires you to see the collision zones for both the slope and the landing at the same time.

Here's Tom's method:

a. Lock all open prop editor objects.

b. Right-click the landing, select Properties, then CLICK ON THE PROP EDITOR WINDOW. Don't click on the Properties choice itself; just hover the mouse over it. If you've done it right, you'll see the landing's red collision zone outlines. Those outlines will continue to be visible as you select and work with other props. In fact, you must close the prop editor to make them go away.

2. Attach _Indis_' tool to a Sign 01 prop. Move it so the landing's TOP red collision zone outline is exactly at the center of the tool.

3. Select the sloping section, then click Place. Watching the alignment tool, move the sloping section until it's TOP collision zone outline is also exactly at the center of the alignment tool.

That's it! You've built a single flight stairway ramp as easy as that. Test it by walking up and down a few times just to ensure that there are no glitches you need to jump over, or holes you fall through.

Building a ramp that slopes up from the landing requires a slightly different alignment. Here's the method I worked out:

1. Select the landing again, as you did before. Move the alignment tool until the landing's BOTTOM collision zone outline is centered.

2. Select the sloping section that will continue your stairway upward from the landing. Move it until the edge of the court floor, NOT ITS COLLISION ZONE, is centered in the alignment tool.

That completes the riser from the first landing.

For my own stairway ramp, my second flight sloping section consisted of another court floor prop scaled 2.00 on the x dimension, tilted upward at 30 degrees, and placed 1478 y units above the ground floor level.

Finally, you want to place another landing at the top of the second flight riser. Use the same procedure you did to connect the first riser to the first flight; align the TOP red collison zone outlines using _Indis_' tool.

Test your stairway ramp by walking up and down both flights to assure yourself that your stairway will work perfectly. Once it is, you can skin the stairway with pretty stairs and railings, then set the court floor props to Invisible.

Notice that your two-flight structure contains all the pieces you need to build any conceivable staircase. With nothing more than cloning, changing y-axis angles by 90 degrees and alignment with Indis' tool using the mehods above, you can build anything from a grand balustrade for your mansion's entryway to a many-story stairway with a central well for an apartment building, hotel, club, or other building.

Hope this procedure helps you build any stairway ramp structure you need. No more elevators! Smile

Many, many thanks to Tom_H_Decorator and _Indis_. They have been a tremendous help, not only with the development of this procedure, but helping me to solve many other prop editing problems. They have been incredibly kind and patient with this newcomer.

Have fun!

Joe

Originally Posted by: Evelyn Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Blazen_Beauty Go to Quoted Post
good tutorial but when your making stairs in unbounded properties and not using rlc coded floors things get trickier thanks to rlc problems

Haven't had a problem with stairs themselves in unbounded, but collides in general? Yes. Falling through the middle randomly or having clones bump do happen occasionally, happily not often enough to cause a real problem though.

Originally Posted by: SifuPeter Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: OnWatch Go to Quoted Post

How would you join two walls with collision state set into making a corner which you cannot sneak through?

There is a short and long explanation. For the long one best attend to a free class on collidables mondays 15EST ... or go there yourself. Feel free to experiment, landmark, i reset the space weekly. Click on the book for a free PDF on collidables.

The short answer is like this.

You might know that the original prop is not involved in the collision. It is a separate hidden prop that gets its origin, scale and rotation from the prop you made collidable. This hidden prop has 6 sides. Top is well known since we walk often on top of floors. It stops gravity from acting on the avatar. The bottom is lesser known however might be experienced in slides original invented by Rebel_RNS and a fair amount of zabies with similar thrill rides. The bottom behaves like a top however has a kick. This kick is required... since if it would act like a top then people jumping by mistake in a ceiling would hang on the ceiling. Which is great if you want your genitals checked and fondled, but hurts the neck. Try this: Invert a collider and this kick is upward. Jump on it and watch your F2 to convince yourself.

The side behaves like a mix between bottom and top. In that we can walk on it (stairs are made that way) however it also has a down force component. Try this: put a wall under say 30degrees angle and try to run up the side. You will see that you gradual slow down and start to slide back exactly like it does on the bottom however much slower. If the side you walk on is not too long you may be fast enough to get to the edge and continue on the top of the collidable.

So... what does the above tests tell us?

That sides have a kick if we get too close. This kick is downward unless you turned the prop upside down. I doubt you did that with the walls. So rubbing against the wall does more than just relieve the itch at your sunburned back... it also smacks you straight through the floor which is bad for the population density of the zaby.

To avoid this there are several possibilities. One can be to change the FPS from unlimited to say 30 or 60 (the loooong answer will tell you why) however that does not help visitors. The easiest way is NOT to make walls collidable. (Besides you best avoid walls all together in favor of signs as is well documented and argued in other posts) Best is to use props that by nature are horizontal, like flat plane, court floor, flr_dance, surface_water. Then to tilt them vertical towards the people you want to contain and make them hidden. If then then rub against it they really touch the top. Which works just fine and dandy as intended.

Enjoy

Originally Posted by: __Autumn__ Go to Quoted Post
I do not know what the difference is, but on another same type property connected to this build I used the fish tank glass as my collidable wall and there is no falling through. I hit the wall and slam to a stop. YAY!!
But, I tried that on the property I spoke of earlier in this thread and still fall through. So, I was wondering if there is a glitch with some properties and not others, even same type properties.
Or is it due to the height of the work on the property. It seems that the higher I go outside a property the more chance of the collide causing me to drop through.
On the first level of the property I spoke of in my last post, the ground level is at 36571 on the y, the collides work fine, on another level at 136561 on the y the collides work fine also when I went to 303891 on the y the wall collides will not work. I fall through every time with any prop I use. This last level is also the one the stairs were a pain to put in.
Then again, I have another of the exact same type property that I had no issues with.
Level 1: 36110
Level 2: 136179
Level 3: 236402
Level 4: 336119
Level 5: 436503
Level 6: (moved to the side so on the x 197791) (same on the y as level 5)
Level 7: 520571
Collides work on all these levels

Originally Posted by: SaphyreRose Go to Quoted Post

Best to avoid the use of collide on the visual prop holding the texture. Get your visual textured walls in place. Then for the collide effect use another prop. Reason being if you are making a free stand build and set all visual wall props to collide and have a collide floor you could have avatars falling through.

How to make a collide walls - one way is to use a fishtank glass - set it to appropriate size width, depth, and height. This may require making the rotation on the X at 180 and Y depending on the build you are doing.

When pulling the fishtank glass out of the editor note how huge it is - will need sizing down on X Y and Z. The actual red lines collide extends out of the visual fishtank glass - make note of this. .

There is a main benefit to using the fishtank collide as a wall barrier; you will not get visual wall beed through on camera angle swing around. Important to note should you ever like to apply to become a Advanced Virtual Deco or a Licensed Deco to avoid visual wall bleed through.

Another prop some use is the black metal railing - others use other props. The fishtank glass is handy as it is rarely a prop used. If you have to go in and edit collides or the build later, it is easy to find in the prop editor.

Keep the red collide lines on the fish tank glass above the floor collide on free stand builds. Visually about mid calf height should do.

PS: Great post, Rose!

Loving

4 users thanked Loving_INTENSE for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 6/29/2015(UTC), Andi on 6/29/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 6/29/2015(UTC), SaphyreRose on 6/30/2015(UTC)