Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Is the Caps Lock Key on Your PC's Keyboard Making You Crazy?
Mrs_Fancy_CSF
#1 Posted : Friday, March 06, 2015 3:01:42 PM(UTC)

Greetings to All,

Is the Caps Lock key on your PC's keyboard making you crazy?

I know mine was driving to the edge of distraction. It makes me wonder why the manufacturers of keyboards continue to include such a worthless key, but such things are not for small minds (like mine) to ponder.Grin

Since brevity is the soul of wit, to the point: I have stumbled across a solution to disable the Caps Lock key and ONLY the Caps Lock key on any PC running Windows XP, 7 or 8. It comes from an extremely reliable source (PC World) and can be downloaded from the following link:

http://www.pcworld.com/a...e-the-caps-lock-key.html

The zip file which you download contains 4 automatic registry edit files, all of which impact on the performance of the Caps Lock key. I concerned myself only with the one that disables the Caps Lock key altogether and the file that will reverse the registry edit should you change your mind (for some bizarre reason). My security software (AVAST) discovered no malicious code of any type in either the zip file or the individual registry edit files. I ran the appropriate registry edit file to disable the Caps Lock Key after setting a Restore Point (as recommended), rebooted my computer and lo! The Caps Lock key no longer did anything at all!

I thought to myself: "This is such a wonderful discovery, I really would like to share it with my friends in the Utherverse!" Angel And so here it is. Use it in good health, but PLEASE, follow the directions provided by the author! Thank you!

Hugs,
Fancy
Honi soit qui mal y pense

(Evil be to him that thinks evil)
4 users thanked Mrs_Fancy_CSF for this useful post.
__Dusty__ on 3/6/2015(UTC), DJ_ANGELLUS_ on 3/6/2015(UTC), Kacey_SWD on 3/7/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 3/7/2015(UTC)
__Dusty__
#2 Posted : Friday, March 06, 2015 6:48:19 PM(UTC)

Thanks for the helpful info. There is another way to disable the caps lock key though without downloading another program and that is by adding Scancode Mapping to the Registry.

This is how I have mine disabled on my keyboard. There is no default key to disable in Windows, so it must be mapped to nowhere to not work.

Go to REGEDIT and find the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Keyboard Layout

the Binary value to be added is:

Scancode Map REG_BINARY 00000000 00000000 02000000 00003A00 00000000

Restart your computer and the caps lock is useless.

You can also change the caps lock key to a shift key or scroll key or ctrl key as well or just keep it disabled.

You can find what you want to do with it here: http://johnhaller.com/us...-stuff/disable-caps-lock

To activate your caps lock key again, just remove the Scancode Map and string value (above) then restart your computer.

Anyway, thank you for your post and helpful info Fancy.
“Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart.” (Carl Sagan)

Quoted by:_Ga_Peach_
Best Forum Hugs Award goes to __Dusty__
6 users thanked __Dusty__ for this useful post.
Pryss_2 on 3/6/2015(UTC), DJ_ANGELLUS_ on 3/6/2015(UTC), Kacey_SWD on 3/7/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 3/7/2015(UTC), RandyKnight on 3/15/2015(UTC), WildPlay_WPT on 4/24/2015(UTC)
Kacey_SWD
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015 12:37:33 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Good posts. . .very helpful. . .^5s

2 users thanked Kacey_SWD for this useful post.
__Dusty__ on 3/7/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 3/7/2015(UTC)
Pluush_Puussy
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015 4:27:49 AM(UTC)

Some people have poor eyesight. I was always fussed at on Star wars Galaxies for using it, because my friend had an eye disease (we would hunt ship parts in space and reverse-engineer them once on ground again, so we were around each other a lot). They never complained in the PVP zones, however Razz

Some serials in games are easier using caps lock, also, when searching for duped items, ie. cheating players.

It's the only key in probably 100 that people bitch about. This says a lot.

It's used heavily in writing COBOL and FORTRAN.

It can be re-mapped to other keys like CNTRL. Some people map the Windows Key here as they don't have one on their keyboard.

It's used for typing may constants.

Law Enforcement uses it, as well as its use in many legal documents, especially in the names involved in the documents. One reason is so that the name is completely and irrevocably understood.

It's used for typing Headlines.

It's useful for accented letters, like like À É È Ç ..

There are many uses a normal everyday person won't comprehend. Why? Because we're not in the position to understand. And, because we don't understand, that doesn't mean it's true that it's not useful and even necessary. Maybe we should each say 'it's not necessary for me'.

24-Hours Merengue, Reggaetón, and Latin Pop
Karol G, Plan B, Natti Natasha, Daddy Yankee, Wisin Y Yandel

http://stream.zeno.fm/rce1tqt68f8uv
http://stream.zeno.fm/uz78uguksp8uv
With no commercials, no fee, no sign-up, and no rules!
2 users thanked Pluush_Puussy for this useful post.
Mrs_Fancy_CSF on 3/7/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 3/7/2015(UTC)
Mrs_Fancy_CSF
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015 6:26:41 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Pluush_Puussy Go to Quoted Post
Some people have poor eyesight. I was always fussed at on Star wars Galaxies for using it, because my friend had an eye disease (we would hunt ship parts in space and reverse-engineer them once on ground again, so we were around each other a lot). They never complained in the PVP zones, however Razz

Some serials in games are easier using caps lock, also, when searching for duped items, ie. cheating players.

It's the only key in probably 100 that people bitch about. This says a lot.

It's used heavily in writing COBOL and FORTRAN.

It can be re-mapped to other keys like CNTRL. Some people map the Windows Key here as they don't have one on their keyboard.

It's used for typing may constants.

Law Enforcement uses it, as well as its use in many legal documents, especially in the names involved in the documents. One reason is so that the name is completely and irrevocably understood.

It's used for typing Headlines.

It's useful for accented letters, like like À É È Ç ..

There are many uses a normal everyday person won't comprehend. Why? Because we're not in the position to understand. And, because we don't understand, that doesn't mean it's true that it's not useful and even necessary. Maybe we should each say 'it's not necessary for me'.

Interesting information. Thank you for sharing with the rest of us!

Fancy
Honi soit qui mal y pense

(Evil be to him that thinks evil)
1 user thanked Mrs_Fancy_CSF for this useful post.
__Dusty__ on 3/7/2015(UTC)
The_Black_Rieder
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015 7:14:12 AM(UTC)

Thanks to Dusty and Fancy. The last time I used anything to stop the CTRL key it worked for about an hour and then refused to remap or even work again. This one from Fancy has kept going through several restarts and lots of programs. I sit in the dark at night and that is where it is most useful to lock it out. I use a USB light but it's fixed in position and doesn't reach as far as the CTRL key. I like geeky stuff so the answer from Dusty intrigued me too. I've saved the addy to this post incase I need it again and to point anyone else here who asks for the info.
NOTE: My nick and image are from a company. That company allows people to use them both as long as they get permission and a licence. I have that and a certificate to prove it.

"These are not the Druids you are looking for..."
1 user thanked The_Black_Rieder for this useful post.
__Dusty__ on 3/7/2015(UTC)
__Dusty__
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 07, 2015 12:02:23 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: The_Black_Rieder Go to Quoted Post
Thanks to Dusty and Fancy. The last time I used anything to stop the CTRL key it worked for about an hour and then refused to remap or even work again. This one from Fancy has kept going through several restarts and lots of programs. I sit in the dark at night and that is where it is most useful to lock it out. I use a USB light but it's fixed in position and doesn't reach as far as the CTRL key. I like geeky stuff so the answer from Dusty intrigued me too. I've saved the addy to this post incase I need it again and to point anyone else here who asks for the info.

Using the method I showed above, I have had mine disabled for 3 years now using the Scancode Map string. Either Fancy's download or my Registry addition will continue to keep the key void or used as something other than intended. Enjoy.
“Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart.” (Carl Sagan)

Quoted by:_Ga_Peach_
Best Forum Hugs Award goes to __Dusty__
Doc_B
#8 Posted : Saturday, March 14, 2015 7:12:34 AM(UTC)

Medals:
A lot of us have problems with typos and hitting the caps lock by accident is really nothing more than a typo. It is especially hard for someone like me who has little control and no feeling in the little finger of my left hand.

However I do use the caps lock frequently so it would be counter productive for me to disable it. I just watch what I'm doing and use the backspace a lot. Lol

You would think that if so many people have problems with the caps lock key that keyboard manufacturers would redesign that part of the keyboard.
Aleks_VGF
#9 Posted : Friday, April 24, 2015 10:18:46 AM(UTC)

Why bother with software when sheer force does the same job? - Yes, I wish capslock keys came with a safety lock. Since they don't, they got torn out or get blocked by appropriate sized paper wedge or hot glue below them. - There are multiple ways to skin that rabbit...
The_Black_Rieder
#10 Posted : Saturday, May 02, 2015 8:08:30 AM(UTC)

Thanks people, I am semi invalid and this has made a huge experience to my day to day computer usage. Thanks heaps to all of you..... Smile Smile
NOTE: My nick and image are from a company. That company allows people to use them both as long as they get permission and a licence. I have that and a certificate to prove it.

"These are not the Druids you are looking for..."