Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Tips on Matcing Tops and Bottoms
xSaphyre
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 08, 2010 3:39:21 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I noticed that all the tops and bottoms on My outfits (UFUT & UFUL) textures aren't lining up like they should. I thought I was lining it up right but apparently not. I always start with the first layer of the Torso Mesh on top of the Legs Mesh, lined up and add another layer and go from there, thinking it's lined up.

In any case, I was wondering if any of the other designers that have been doing this for a long time can give any tips on how they make sure the two textures line up properly.

**Shame on you Shame on you ATTENTION: THIS IS A DRAMA-FREE THREAD. PLEASE RESPECT THAT. ANY DRAMA WILL BE IGNORED!Shame on you Shame on you **

vww://utherverse.vww/@23211/@221894

Click for my shop's list of usable images.
Moon_OCFF
#2 Posted : Saturday, May 08, 2010 3:41:14 PM(UTC)

Saphyre,

You are lining up your leg texture from your torso texture, instead of using the lines on the meshes?

xSaphyre
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 08, 2010 3:49:44 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Here's an example of what I start with before beginning My design.

OH and both are 512x512

Ms_Tigresss_SUN
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 08, 2010 4:28:21 PM(UTC)

Medals:
The stretch on the leg mesh is a lil different from the stretch on the torso mesh. Unless I'm really feeling OCD, I line up the front and call it a day. For me it's trial and error, several loads onto the UVD testing server and crossing my fingers. A lucky rabbit's foot can't hurt either.

Also I noticed that you matched up the center line, but not the others. You'd have to shrink and stretch the leg mesh so that the lines ALL match up with the torso mesh to have a true match there.

One thing that helps... like you have the triangles on the sides... I believe it was Grandpa X (Xaoz) who released female torso and leg meshes with similar match-up points between the torso and legs. I don't know if they're still in the forums anywhere. If Xaoz said it were OK, I would post them here or send them to you. (I noticed X deleted some of the things he'd posted in the past and I don't know his reason; that's why I wouldn't give them to you unless he said it was OK.)

...Also, how did I manage to post 500 times? Shut up already, Tigs, ffs!

MalevolentBeauty
#5 Posted : Saturday, May 08, 2010 4:34:00 PM(UTC)

to make this easier for myself i have colored the lines on my textures so i dont have to count them. So the center line on both the pants and the top is blue and the next line over on both is pink and so on. It really really helps. gimme a minute and i'll put them up here for you.
MalevolentBeauty
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 08, 2010 4:38:05 PM(UTC)

Hope these help Smile
Ms_Tigresss_SUN
#7 Posted : Saturday, May 08, 2010 4:42:20 PM(UTC)

Medals:
MalevolentBeauty wrote:

Hope these help Smile

*steals those* Love them, Mal.

Note that these are 1000x1000. Make sure you resize to a power of 2 for your final texture. (As in 512x512)
...Also, how did I manage to post 500 times? Shut up already, Tigs, ffs!

MalevolentBeauty
#8 Posted : Saturday, May 08, 2010 4:43:49 PM(UTC)

Ms_Tigresss_SUN wrote:
MalevolentBeauty wrote:

Hope these help Smile

*steals those* Love them, Mal.

Note that these are 1000x1000. Make sure you resize to a power of 2 for your final texture. (As in 512x512)

Right right i blew them up so i wouldnt go nuts when i colored them.
kelstan
#9 Posted : Saturday, May 08, 2010 9:53:29 PM(UTC)

Medals:
to make it very easy without changing your way of doing.... first do your torso texture, the front part of the waist line is made of 10 dots. Select the lower front part of your texture, from edge to edge of the waist line, and copy it on your leg file.
You'll notice it needs a little stretching to cover the 10 dots of your waist line... you need to believe blindly in those guidelines, for every part of a texture...

For example arms... even if it looks ten times smaller, the vertical length of the shoulder on the torso area, is virtually equal to the width of the arm area... it gives you an idea of the needed resizing to have a matching pattern from shoulder down to arm...
HP_SIMI_AH_HBK
#10 Posted : Sunday, May 09, 2010 3:03:07 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Thank you all for the info! Thank you Mal for the templates. You guys rock!! now to go squirrel myself over in a corner and play in Gimp until Ego Practice
And I shaved my legs for THIS?????
MrsTLdarkechylde
#11 Posted : Sunday, May 09, 2010 3:29:42 AM(UTC)

ty Mal! that' a great idea with the colored lines.
Perve Me! I dare ya!

Love your haters...their your biggest fans!

They are scarred for the simple fact that no one explained to them that they were supposed to burn their bras AFTER they took them off....~Fuck Wad Tongue

Trblmkr
#12 Posted : Sunday, May 09, 2010 12:30:56 PM(UTC)

Medals:
MalevolentBeauty wrote:

Hope these help Smile

Gee Mal. Considering I gave you those meshes when you got started. Nice to see that you can tell as good a lie as anyone. Don't even have the courtesy to give me credit for me giving them to you. But what else should I expect.
__Gypsy__
#13 Posted : Sunday, May 09, 2010 12:35:08 PM(UTC)

Medals:
PRCS_SIMI_AH_ALC wrote:
Thank you all for the info! Thank you Mal for the templates. You guys rock!! now to go squirrel myself over in a corner and play in Gimp until Ego Practice

SIMI hun, Mal didnt color those lines, her ex did, shes just taking credit.. if u want templates have Ash give u my skype or yim Smile luv ya
MalevolentBeauty
#14 Posted : Sunday, May 09, 2010 4:24:26 PM(UTC)

TrblMkr_CI wrote:
MalevolentBeauty wrote:

Hope these help Smile

Gee Mal. Considering I gave you those meshes when you got started. Nice to see that you can tell as good a lie as anyone. Don't even have the courtesy to give me credit for me giving them to you. But what else should I expect.

oh ffs trbl really? I believe you did tops and I did bottom or something of the nature but we did do them together its ok to pretend we never helped each other out though and i have the males if you want them hun. But yes you do get credit for part of it and you are a fantastic tat designer hope you're well. Hugs kisses and happy designing.
xSaphyre
#15 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2010 3:29:15 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I'm reviving this thread because I still can't figure out how the hell to get the pants to match the shirt correctly. I don't know what the right resizing is so it lines up properly. I use PSP7 if anyone's curious.

bi_bi_love
#16 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2010 8:47:20 AM(UTC)

Location: FBOTA V6.66 - Please feel free to bypass my posts, I tend to ramble ;)
SaphyreBliss wrote:
I'm reviving this thread because I still can't figure out how the hell to get the pants to match the shirt correctly. I don't know what the right resizing is so it lines up properly. I use PSP7 if anyone's curious.

Liara...is she our PSP guru?

Anyway, without looking, I think the torso is about 75% the width of the legs, so a 10 pixel line going through the purples line on the torso front would match to a 7.5 pixel on the appropriate purple lines on the leg mesh...does that make sense?
I try to intersect so the side of a line or edge or a pattern intersects hard against a mesh line rather than through it.

Pictures and words...I'll see if I can get something sorted tomorrow Smile

Qbag or cnenabvq
Vg vf nobhg lbh
Liaria
#17 Posted : Sunday, July 25, 2010 10:26:42 AM(UTC)

Oh so I'm a guru now? Grin

But anyway, I whipped up a quick and dirty tut on an easy way i use to line up patterns sometimes. It's not perfect, but you could say it's a step in the right direction?

Ok I hope for any tools that I mention using, that they're in PSP7. I have PSP8, so hopefully not too many changes between the two.

Ok step one, create your pattern. I didn't find out until the end of making this tut, that this pattern didn't really lend itself well to showing that it lined up with itself. Anyway, I created this pattern at 512 x 512. And I usually work at the same resolution with the meshes too.

Next step, copying and applying your texture to your mesh. Obviously as a new layer. Grin But what I do is bring it about half way down so that the pattern actually hangs off the working area. That will become clear in the next few steps.

Now for easy deleting of extraneous areas around the mesh, I have a separate layer set up that I usually keep invisible. It's filled with black that only covers the mesh itself, and about 3-5 pixels outside the mesh boundaries. On this layer, I use the magic wand to select the blank area around the mesh and...

Then while the selection is active, I click on the layer that I have my pattern on, and press delete.

Now because my deletion layer actually extends to the very bottom of the working area, the pattern doesn't get cut off from the bit that's hanging outside that area. So selecting the deform tool while I'm on that layer...

I can easily copy and paste the entire pattern sans deleted area, onto the legs mesh.

Whereby I can then start moving the pattern layer up, and stretch it with the deform tool so that the edges of teh shirt line up with the proper lines on the leg mesh.

Then a quick upload to UVD shows...

Not ideal results. But like I said, the pattern I created didn't lend itself well to showing that it was lined up. And of course this only covers the front, the back is a little harder with that curve to the mesh at the base of the back. Also, I still go by trial and error a lot. Sometimes uploading up to six test versions until I have it just right.

Now in UVC, too! Click Here

“Non-violence is not inaction. It is not discussion. It is not for the timid or weak...
Non-violence is hard work. It is the willingness to sacrifice. It is the patience to win.”
- Cesar Chavez
xSaphyre
#18 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 3:07:55 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Thanks more for the help. I have a more understanding on how to probably get them all lined up right. ^^

bi_bi_love
#19 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 7:40:50 AM(UTC)

Location: FBOTA V6.66 - Please feel free to bypass my posts, I tend to ramble ;)
Liaria wrote:
Oh so I'm a guru now? Grin
<snip>

I said Liara, not you Tongue
But seeing as you're volunteering... Grin Grin Grin

Glad to see this forum is still not helping people Undecided

1 other thing, Saphyre, in not too long, you'll be doing it almost without thinking Smile

Qbag or cnenabvq
Vg vf nobhg lbh
Liaria
#20 Posted : Monday, July 26, 2010 9:17:12 AM(UTC)

I just looked up Liara. She hasn't logged in since May. Grin

Now in UVC, too! Click Here

“Non-violence is not inaction. It is not discussion. It is not for the timid or weak...
Non-violence is hard work. It is the willingness to sacrifice. It is the patience to win.”
- Cesar Chavez