Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Need Help Creating Website and Associated Tasks..
BB_Licious
#1 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 6:53:49 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Alright.. first off, I am NOT technologically inclined.

So.. what I am trying to do is create my own website to store my textures. I have purchased some web space online, have a domain name and all that jazz.

I need someone who is patient and doesn't mind walking me through fixing this up, step by miserable step. You'll probably have to go back to the beginning with me, to make sure I have the domain set up right, lol.

Let me make this very clear---I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. So, I am appealing to all you peeps out there who are into this sort of thing and it's a cake walk for you.. YOU, yes.. I need YOU!

I don't need comments, I don't need advice, what I NEED is someone who will get on Skype with me so I can screenshare and they can teach me what to do.

So, if there is anyone who is patient and knows what I need, then PLEASE contact me so we can set up a time to work together. I am at the point where every word is a curse and I'm ready to throw the whole computer out of the window...which would be a waste, since it's only a year old. Help me, please!

THANKS!! BB
Damn you, Addamant, for turning me into a forum whore! *shakes fist*

_Monk_: What does BB stand for?
_Monk_: Ball busting? hehehehe

LazTopCat
#2 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 7:51:41 PM(UTC)

The_Black_Rieder runs a photo club webpage using Coppermine. He might be a good source for info.
in the meantime, here are a few tutorials on coppermine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCiy1JOkc9I
http://documentation.cop...y.net/en/quickstart.htm
http://documentation.cop...allery.net/en/start.htm
http://coppermine-gallery.net/tutorial/

3 users thanked LazTopCat for this useful post.
Loving_INTENSE on 12/17/2017(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 12/17/2017(UTC), BB_Licious on 12/17/2017(UTC)
BB_Licious
#3 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 7:53:59 PM(UTC)

Medals:
LazTopCat;1512713 wrote:
The_Black_Rieder runs a photo club webpage using Coppermine. He might be a good source for info.
in the meantime, here are a few tutorials on coppermine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCiy1JOkc9I
http://documentation.cop...y.net/en/quickstart.htm
http://documentation.cop...allery.net/en/start.htm
http://coppermine-gallery.net/tutorial/

Thanks, but that's exactly what I DON'T need. I need somebody to sit with me and walk me through it, step by step... this is ALL GREEK to me!

LazTopCat
#4 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 7:57:09 PM(UTC)

Sorry, I was just trying to help... Still... I would talk to The_Black_Rieder. Undecided

2 users thanked LazTopCat for this useful post.
BB_Licious on 12/15/2017(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 12/17/2017(UTC)
BB_Licious
#5 Posted : Friday, December 15, 2017 8:21:49 PM(UTC)

Medals:
LazTopCat;1512715 wrote:
Sorry, I was just trying to help... Still... I would talk to The_Black_Rieder. Undecided

I'm not fussing at ya.. I appreciate it. I am just at the point where I am cussing the whole situation and stressed to the gills over it. Been trying to figure it out on my own and those %^$#@# bastardos that are supposed to be customer service for those sites ain't worth 2 cents! Worthless..and useless.

I'm extremely frustrated, lol.

BB_Licious
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 1:59:55 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Kesha;1512795 wrote:
BB_4Bad_Boy;1512707 wrote:

So.. what I am trying to do is create my own website to store my textures. I have purchased some web space online, have a domain name and all that jazz.

The bad new is web sites don't store texture. The good is you have me to point this out but we know what you mean we think. You purchase a web server or portion of one and have a domain name (basic requirement).

server - stores files

web sites - html files also stored on your server

Domain name points typed words to your servers root or main folder

the web page file named index.html will automatically open for the visiting guest

and you can create whatever web page you want them to see.

Back to storing textures. You need filezilla an ftp transfer program allows you to drop and drag files to your server just as if it were just another drive letter.
To do this you need your ftp log in info, Your welcome message may contain it or contain log in to your servers control panel and then i can be found there

Sighs.. I am not stupid by any means and I managed to follow most of what you said until you got to Filezilla, lol.. I think I have that on my computer, but the rest means zilch to me.

Seriously..it is all Greek to me. When it comes to the technical side of computer stuff, I am dumb as a brick. This is why I need somebody to hold my hand and walk me through it, lol.

So are you telling me I wasted my money buying the space? I really dislike using UB (Utherbucket) due to not being able to separate textures into folders. I am reluctant to transfer 27k textures to another photo storage site just for them to pull the same crap PB did and I'm certainly not gonna pay the outlandish fee that PB wants for premium services.

The_Black_Rieder
#7 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:39:55 AM(UTC)

Coppermine is Open source, belongs to the public and programmed by the public so it's free. You got a domain so you're part way there. Look at the problem as I have to do A-B not A-Z, one step at a time. First off check your login to your domain name host. I use Freedomnames so I log in there, that's your A-B done. Now B-C is a bigger step, you look for your login to your C-Panel, you did get a C-Panel host? Don't worry if not, I added one to my account for £6 a year and £17 a year for the base account including the Domain.

C-Panel is a basic looking Windows User Interface with the same click to open principles and it usually allows at least one database. The big advantage being a built in Semi Automatic Coppermine installer as well as lots of other things. Mostly you set it installing and all is done, but read what details it puts in the boxes and amend to suit! If you have to try it 4-5 times then so be it. That's B-C done as long as you found your site address which is your domain anyway so if you got www.meathome.com then your Coppermine is installed there! Now C-D to do, go inside Coppermine and set it up so you are Admin, then allow yourself as an account. Set it as Private, not a public program anyone can peruse. You are not trying to do A-D, you are starting with A-B and any step along the way is a step nearer your overall objective, lots of small steps make one big step. So you join the army and learn the drill, you learn to shoot, you learn to map, at the end of it all hey you're a soldier! All skills you may not have fully had before that.

So now you got a domain, you got C-Panel, you know how to log into your account and your Coppermine. You have Admin rights and an account. Add another one for your other half too. Next, not everyone wants folders so you set up the folders yourself. Once you get to this stage shout me and we'll walk through it. Once you get the right selection in there it's basic looking but real easy. I set up one folder for each property and Coppermine is not big on sub folders so I appended 1 to the end of every file in the first room and 2 for the next room and so on. Makes it easier to locate them. Once you try to upload it will not do it unless you point to a folder first. So you point to the property folder, show it where on your puter it is and it's done, single or multiple picture uploads. Instantly those pictures are available. But you need to know the address first.

This is where Filezilla is handy as FTP-File Transfer Protocol. Hey it transfers files, a Protocol is like a Japanese man and an English man having different ways to say hello. One bows and the other shakes hands so they both say hello but not in the same way. They learn to get along and say hello to each other, that's a Protocol. Get the most up to date Filzezilla or suffer, cos it will keep nagging you to update anyway. everything I have used is free apart from the hosting, domain, C-Panel and Coppermine is likely to stay free as it has been publically owned since 2003/4, I should say it has no owner. If changes are proposed they are vetted and tested, they also have their own Forum. I think Wraith uses Coppermine also.

Finally, sadly I am not the man I once was. I cannot do the things I used to as I have short term memory problems and confusion due to severe pain meds, especially the ones aimed at the brain. I get highly embarrassed by this and it feels like I have a brick wall in my head now. This means I don't do Skype, but Wraith may do so. In the meantime I will fill in any gaps for as long as it takes and I'm not a money grabber either so it's free and always will be. I learned all of this whilst suffering from this illness but admittedly I do have that kind of interest and background anyway. Sorry for this being a long winded post.
NOTE: My nick and image are from a company. That company allows people to use them both as long as they get permission and a licence. I have that and a certificate to prove it.

"These are not the Druids you are looking for..."
6 users thanked The_Black_Rieder for this useful post.
Loving_INTENSE on 12/17/2017(UTC), Brianna on 12/17/2017(UTC), BB_Licious on 12/17/2017(UTC), __Dusty__ on 12/17/2017(UTC), Silesa on 12/18/2017(UTC), LazTopCat on 4/30/2020(UTC)
BB_Licious
#8 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 11:57:40 AM(UTC)

Medals:
The_Black_Rieder;1512800 wrote:
Coppermine is Open source, belongs to the public and programmed by the public so it's free. You got a domain so you're part way there. Look at the problem as I have to do A-B not A-Z, one step at a time. First off check your login to your domain name host. I use Freedomnames so I log in there, that's your A-B done. Now B-C is a bigger step, you look for your login to your C-Panel, you did get a C-Panel host? Don't worry if not, I added one to my account for £6 a year and £17 a year for the base account including the Domain.

C-Panel is a basic looking Windows User Interface with the same click to open principles and it usually allows at least one database. The big advantage being a built in Semi Automatic Coppermine installer as well as lots of other things. Mostly you set it installing and all is done, but read what details it puts in the boxes and amend to suit! If you have to try it 4-5 times then so be it. That's B-C done as long as you found your site address which is your domain anyway so if you got www.meathome.com then your Coppermine is installed there! Now C-D to do, go inside Coppermine and set it up so you are Admin, then allow yourself as an account. Set it as Private, not a public program anyone can peruse. You are not trying to do A-D, you are starting with A-B and any step along the way is a step nearer your overall objective, lots of small steps make one big step. So you join the army and learn the drill, you learn to shoot, you learn to map, at the end of it all hey you're a soldier! All skills you may not have fully had before that.

So now you got a domain, you got C-Panel, you know how to log into your account and your Coppermine. You have Admin rights and an account. Add another one for your other half too. Next, not everyone wants folders so you set up the folders yourself. Once you get to this stage shout me and we'll walk through it. Once you get the right selection in there it's basic looking but real easy. I set up one folder for each property and Coppermine is not big on sub folders so I appended 1 to the end of every file in the first room and 2 for the next room and so on. Makes it easier to locate them. Once you try to upload it will not do it unless you point to a folder first. So you point to the property folder, show it where on your puter it is and it's done, single or multiple picture uploads. Instantly those pictures are available. But you need to know the address first.

This is where Filezilla is handy as FTP-File Transfer Protocol. Hey it transfers files, a Protocol is like a Japanese man and an English man having different ways to say hello. One bows and the other shakes hands so they both say hello but not in the same way. They learn to get along and say hello to each other, that's a Protocol. Get the most up to date Filzezilla or suffer, cos it will keep nagging you to update anyway. everything I have used is free apart from the hosting, domain, C-Panel and Coppermine is likely to stay free as it has been publically owned since 2003/4, I should say it has no owner. If changes are proposed they are vetted and tested, they also have their own Forum. I think Wraith uses Coppermine also.

Finally, sadly I am not the man I once was. I cannot do the things I used to as I have short term memory problems and confusion due to severe pain meds, especially the ones aimed at the brain. I get highly embarrassed by this and it feels like I have a brick wall in my head now. This means I don't do Skype, but Wraith may do so. In the meantime I will fill in any gaps for as long as it takes and I'm not a money grabber either so it's free and always will be. I learned all of this whilst suffering from this illness but admittedly I do have that kind of interest and background anyway. Sorry for this being a long winded post.

Okay, I understood most of that.. thank you!

I tried to muddle through it by myself, which led to me pleading in Forums, lol. I did see where I could download Coppermine on the site I'm using and tried to do so, but twice it said that it failed. I got a free domain name and followed instructions to pasting the IP address in boxes but I have no idea if that's done correctly..the site gave me 4 IP addresses (from the website space I bought) but the domain site had only 2 boxes to insert IPs. I just used the first two.. I have no idea if I did it right or wrong. FRUSTRATION TO THE MAX!!

The web space I purchased is from Hostinger and I got the free domain name at Freenom, which was recommended by someone at Hostinger. I think I did see a C-Panel option on the Hostinger site.

Let me point out that I am VERY short of patience and have no use for "book learning"..I learn by "doing". This is why written instructions frustrate the %8#& outta me and this is why I need someone to show me step-by-step.

Rieder, we all change as we age. I am also not the same person I was five years ago. My memory isn't half as good and I don't even have the stamina anymore to even sit in RLC and work like I used to, so..don't be ashamed to admit you're human. More times than I care to admit, I'll be about to type a message to someone then have to sit and think for two minutes of the specific word I want to use..like, I know the word, it's *right there* but right out of my grasp..I have to wait til it comes to me to finish my message or find an alternative word, lol. So..we all have our problems but we muddle through and do the best we can! Thank you for your advice, it is appreciated.

1 user thanked BB_Licious for this useful post.
__Dusty__ on 12/17/2017(UTC)
Brianna
#9 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 12:20:10 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Thank you Black Rieder, your post will be helpful to EVERYONE looking for this information.

Thank you for your generosity in responding to a fellow member on this site as you have.

It is very kind of you to offer up your experience and help.

It costs nothing to be kind, generous, helpful and positive; as you demonstrate unequivocally.

Coppermine is Open source, belongs to the public and programmed by the public so it's free....

(Full post amended for this reply. See original post by The_Black_Rieder in this thread for complete content.)

...Sorry for this being a long winded post.
If technology was perfect, ...it wouldn't need US....

Brianna(SM) (a.k.a. DJ_Brianna(SM)) Owns WDGN_db_RADIO(TM) and the Club_Drakon(TM) franchise.
2 users thanked Brianna for this useful post.
BB_Licious on 12/17/2017(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 12/18/2017(UTC)
__Dusty__
#10 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 1:28:40 PM(UTC)

Thank you Reider. Added to the SUPER List in the Prop Map and Texture Section:

Texture Storage - Coppermine
http://forums7.uthervers...nd-Associated-Tasks.aspx
“Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart.” (Carl Sagan)

Quoted by:_Ga_Peach_
Best Forum Hugs Award goes to __Dusty__
4 users thanked __Dusty__ for this useful post.
BB_Licious on 12/17/2017(UTC), Silesa on 12/18/2017(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 12/18/2017(UTC), LazTopCat on 4/30/2020(UTC)
BB_Licious
#11 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 4:13:51 PM(UTC)

Medals:
This is what I"ve got when I log into my CPanel:

Your domain is not pointing to our name servers
Therefore most features (website, e-mail, FTP) will not work. You need to navigate to your domain registrar (the company where you registered your domain) and edit DNS details of your domain. Here are new name servers:

Then it lists 4 servers.

So I log into the site where I got my domain name, and there's only room to put 2 server addresses in it.

So wtf do I do now?

BB_Licious
#12 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 5:03:23 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Kesha;1512862 wrote:
BB_4Bad_Boy;1512858 wrote:
This is what I"ve got when I log into my CPanel:

Your domain is not pointing to our name servers
Therefore most features (website, e-mail, FTP) will not work. You need to navigate to your domain registrar (the company where you registered your domain) and edit DNS details of your domain. Here are new name servers:

Then it lists 4 servers.

So I log into the site where I got my domain name, and there's only room to put 2 server addresses in it.

So wtf do I do now?

Deep breaths and just think of the progress your making. We may as well understand domain names and what their for. Nobody can remember yur servers real IP address (123.456.789.012) but they can remember BB4BadBoy.com

I'll look for info on it meanwhile just open a ticket and tell them to do it.
That's their job anyways Hostinger.com

What progress? Lol..the only thing I've accomplished is a shit load of cursing and my stress level going through the roof. I don't understand all this crap, it's gibberish to me. I'm absolutely dumb when it comes to this crap.. my brain just does not process it AT ALL.

They're useless. I've emailed them twice. It takes DAYS for customer service to get back to me.

BB_Licious
#13 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 5:11:54 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Thanks for all the help, but it's useless.

Fuck this shit, I'm done.

Silesa
#14 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 7:35:33 PM(UTC)

Medals:
BB_4Bad_Boy;1512707 wrote:

I need someone who is patient and doesn't mind walking me through fixing this up, step by miserable step. You'll probably have to go back to the beginning with me, to make sure I have the domain set up right, lol.

Let me make this very clear---I have no idea what the fuck I'm doing. So, I am appealing to all you peeps out there who are into this sort of thing and it's a cake walk for you.. YOU, yes.. I need YOU!

I don't need comments, I don't need advice, what I NEED is someone who will get on Skype with me so I can screenshare and they can teach me what to do.

So, if there is anyone who is patient and knows what I need, then PLEASE contact me so we can set up a time to work together. I am at the point where every word is a curse and I'm ready to throw the whole computer out of the window...which would be a waste, since it's only a year old. Help me, please!

THANKS!! BB

"what I am trying to do is create my own website to store my textures"

"I have purchased some web space online, have a domain name and all that jazz."

If it is just for your own use you really do not need a "website"

Also who did you get hosting from? It sounds like you got a package that included the domain name.

Most packages and web hosting sites offer Cpanel. Tech support will help you that much on how to get into Cpanel

OR they may have sent you an email on how to do so. BB, Cpanel is very intuitive and easy for a non-techy person

to use. The options available in Cpanel will vary from hosting providers. Some will include a website wizard

and any computer users that is adept enough to do deco in RLC should be able to catch on quickly to most that is

available in Cpanel. Cpanel almost always includes a file manager and you should have no trouble uploading images

to your host that way (works very much like windows file explorer) create directories to store your images in.

Don't be quick to give up OR do not let it intimidate you either, Cpanel is a user-friendly interface i am sure you

can catch on to easily. Holler here all you want and i am also sure others and myself will do what they can to help.

Peace

Edit to add

Silly me i seen the F U all before i seen Kesha having you going in the right direction.

Kesha and i often consult with each other to lessen our frustrations on providing here.

Mutual and appreciated help along with some healthy competition on how best to do things.

Count on me also if you need BB and VERY sure you can handle this.
CALL CONGRESS reps/senators
GET Citizens United v. FEC OVERTURNED.END CORPORATE CONTROL
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

DON'T PLAY THE FORUM GAME WE ARE ALL BETTER THAN THAT

SUPPORT UV ARTIST/VENDORS/ENTERTAINERS AVI IMAGE BY Mizaki_Tanaka
REGISTER TO VOTE OR CHECK IF REGISTERED @ https://www.usa.gov/election-office
BB_Licious
#15 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 7:52:36 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I said I'm done, and I'm done. I've already mailed the company and requested a refund. As I already said, I am not one to comprehend the written word when it comes to computer technical crap--because that's what it is to me, crap. I don't understand a freakin word of it. I'm dumb as a brick when it comes to this sort of thing. If there is no one who can SHOW me what I need to do to get going instead of TELLING me, then I say fuckit--I'm done.

Silesa
#16 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 8:05:09 PM(UTC)

Medals:
BB_4Bad_Boy;1512889 wrote:
I said I'm done, and I'm done. I've already mailed the company and requested a refund. As I already said, I am not one to comprehend the written word when it comes to computer technical crap--because that's what it is to me, crap. I don't understand a freakin word of it. I'm dumb as a brick when it comes to this sort of thing. If there is no one who can SHOW me what I need to do to get going instead of TELLING me, then I say fuckit--I'm done.

If that does not work out and you are willing to PM me here and use/exchange regular email to get me what they

provided you.... i can set you up on a word press site in about a hour that is no harder than using facebook

for you to maintain your own website. (NO TECHNICAL TERMS needed doing a site on Wordpress once it is set up).

i can do my own HTML and sometimes have to. BUT with Wordpress being so easy why ?

Peace
CALL CONGRESS reps/senators
GET Citizens United v. FEC OVERTURNED.END CORPORATE CONTROL
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

DON'T PLAY THE FORUM GAME WE ARE ALL BETTER THAN THAT

SUPPORT UV ARTIST/VENDORS/ENTERTAINERS AVI IMAGE BY Mizaki_Tanaka
REGISTER TO VOTE OR CHECK IF REGISTERED @ https://www.usa.gov/election-office
BB_Licious
#17 Posted : Sunday, December 17, 2017 11:45:07 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Thank you to everyone who has responded and given advice for the community.

I have washed my hands of it and walked away, so curse words are back to zero and stress levels are way down.

I apologize for cursing but that's what happens when I'm frustrated to the max and extremely stressed. I'm sure someone out there can use this info, so thanks again for the input.

1 user thanked BB_Licious for this useful post.
Silesa on 12/18/2017(UTC)
The_Black_Rieder
#18 Posted : Monday, December 18, 2017 4:45:34 AM(UTC)

For anyone following this please please please do not judge anyone in this thread. I too swore, albeit in private, and gave up on all of this. A few days later, after I calmed down I returned and had another go. It may not happen this time but as we have already seen people often refer to these posts 6-8 years after they are placed. So I'd like to offer a short note and a video link for those who do follow. If anyone wishes to reproduce any of this info feel free, as long as it helps people.

When you use an IP it's like a zip code or here in the UK a Postcode. So you give out the address separated by dots (the numbers between dots are termed Octets) and this represents your web address, not your home address. www.mysite.com may be 123.456.789 and it automatically reads as that example number even though you put in a textual entry seperated by dots. You don't do anything to make it do that, it's all automatic. You're simply looking to place a gallery on a site IP that you own. Coppermine is but one type of gallery but has some history that remains the same from 2003/4 so it can be relied on more. To use it you need a database, just like a Forum needs a database. When using CPanel all it contains is a Windows type GUI which reminds me of the old Windows 3.1 GUI, very basic looking. Towards the bottom may be Fantastico, Deluxe Fantastico or Softaculous, they all do the same thing in very slightly different ways and are semi auto installers only. I used Softaculous and have located a YouTube clip to show how to install it, I did not produce this myself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gome0xaTys

One thing, it may ask for the Admin user name and password in the installer within CPanel, I tried several times and it never passed on the info when it generated the site. Now this did make me swear, something I am trying to give up now as well as bible reading but that's a whole different story-I say "Strike 1" when I swear now instead. I had to go to the Coppermine site and use search to find the default login then change it from within. Luckily you can delete the installation if you have 4-5 bad attempts. Set it up again, use the login from the Coppermine forum temporarily and set up your own inside immediately, if not sooner.

I hope this helps someone following in our footsteps, please do not judge folk. At the turn of a coin we all can end up the same way or worse, illness often strikes overnight and we are no longer in control of our destiny. Some folk are short tempered anyway, without illness, and no real harm intended. Take one day at a time and if you get mad go chill out then come back and go at it with a vengeance.
NOTE: My nick and image are from a company. That company allows people to use them both as long as they get permission and a licence. I have that and a certificate to prove it.

"These are not the Druids you are looking for..."
6 users thanked The_Black_Rieder for this useful post.
Mrs_Andi_FWF on 12/18/2017(UTC), BB_Licious on 12/18/2017(UTC), Silesa on 12/18/2017(UTC), elmerfudddaffy on 12/18/2017(UTC), Stormy_temptress on 3/27/2018(UTC), LazTopCat on 4/30/2020(UTC)