Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Need help with stairs....
Trinity_T
#1 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 10:36:02 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Why is it possible to build stairs on some properties and impossible on others......

Making stairs the same way... but some properties wont work .. Sad

Can someone please explain why?

Thanks,

Trinity

elmerfudddaffy
#2 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:20:35 PM(UTC)

Medals:
building stairs should work in all properties. I am not aware of any property that one cannot build stairs on. you could be missing something in the construction but if u have been building stairs for a while and building them the same way each time then there really shouldn't be an issue.

Having said all that are all the collides correctly set? Is it a hard coded floor to a soft coded floor?(i.e. template floor to made second floor) Or are we talking about a soft coded floor to soft coded floor? (made floor to made floor) What are the scales of the made floors? What Props are being used for floors and stairs?

I'll be in world for most of the rest of the day showing offline for most of it. contact me if u are still having issues.

vww://utherverse.vww/@129967/@829894
3 users thanked elmerfudddaffy for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 8/17/2017(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 8/17/2017(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 8/27/2017(UTC)
Trinity_T
#3 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 12:27:55 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Hello

I am talking about a purchased layout I have no idea what the original floor is ...... I assume court floor..... Some of my purchased layouts I can makr stairs just fine and some I can not .... I am looking for why this is .... Is there a difference on how the original floor is made .. and of what its made of...? I would appreciate any help I can fet.

Thanks
elmerfudddaffy
#4 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 1:01:40 PM(UTC)

Medals:
ok so we are talking about a purchased layout which means you are more than likely going made floor to made floor.

Please describe what happens when u try to make a stair. Also from whom did u purchase the property the designer may see this and be able to tell u more directly why it is that u are having trouble making stairs on a particular property. Check you're clearances you may be running into a collide that you were not aware of

vww://utherverse.vww/@129967/@829894
1 user thanked elmerfudddaffy for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 8/17/2017(UTC)
LazTopCat
#5 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 2:45:48 PM(UTC)

It also depends on WHAT type of property, and WHERE you are trying to build the stairs... Some "Breakout" properties have dead spaces that can effect collides.

3 users thanked LazTopCat for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 8/17/2017(UTC), Mrs_Andi_FWF on 8/19/2017(UTC), SaphyreRose on 9/11/2017(UTC)
Niki_Deus_PCD
#6 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 4:50:06 PM(UTC)

Medals:
There may also be the possibility that there are other, unseen props that are collidable, which are interfering
2 users thanked Niki_Deus_PCD for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 8/17/2017(UTC), LazTopCat on 8/17/2017(UTC)
The_Wraith
#7 Posted : Thursday, August 17, 2017 8:59:16 PM(UTC)

Medals:
If your having issues walking onto the ramp your using for your stairs check the scale of the collide under you. I find the optimal size for the collide your ramping off of is 2x2 on the X and Z. You can push it to 4x4 if need be. But over 4 and you'll start getting issues when trying to walk onto the ramp. If your adding stars to a property somebody else built they might not have set their collides with stairs in mind.
4 users thanked The_Wraith for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 8/18/2017(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 8/27/2017(UTC), SaphyreRose on 9/11/2017(UTC), HONEY_ALWYS_RnS on 9/17/2017(UTC)
The_Black_Rieder
#8 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 2:29:31 AM(UTC)

Basically, as long as you're not propping a ramp inside a trigger it will work off any system floor with no fuss as long as (reference Wraiths' post above) the angle is not too acute and also bear in mind the more acute then generally the slower the avatar moves.

If you were to make a flat platform and from this an angled ramp you could throw the angle in any old how on the lower flat platform and it would just work if it roughly crosses through the flat section end. The trouble is always the 2nd connection ie top of the angled piece. The red collider lines must meet that of the angle and the top flat ramp or have a very slight gap. To do this you need to see both sets of colliders at the same time. Select the properties of the one you don't want to move, first. In this case the ramp, then hover the mouse cursor over the top flat prop, sliding the cursor to the right of "Properties" on the 2nd prop should leave both red colliders showing and leaving you able to move the second prop (the flat top) toward the angled ramp. The two red colliders must be the top most collide lines of each prop and no doubt someone will post an image soon. I am moving mine from PB at the moment.

Once you have this set of 3 props you would add the steps themselves and make this scaffold as I call it invisible. The bottom flat prop may be the system floor instead. Many use Court Floor for the stair props (as they can be textured) but due to the thickness of the prop it occasionally fails but is generally to be relied on. I myself use Flat Plane, as I was taught by the great Peter. One other area that causes or can cause problems is some ramps will not work off a full size floor and need a few size 1.00 x 1.00 pieces at the top/bottom before adding the rest of the floor. I personally would, unless a system generated floor, make all individual props from the same material. ie Floor, ceiling and ramps would be Flat Plane with a textured non collidable floor over the top of the Flat Plane and the Flat Plane made invisible in the State Tab once all testing is complete. Mix props and you are asking for trouble.

Give me a shout any time in world and I will freely take you around my tutorial course I made. It is similar to Peters and I freely give away the info but not on spiral stairs. However Peter has now made this info freely available too so it should no longer be a problem hopefully. Stairs are possible in all properties.... I went to a place where they had not been fixed in 2 years. Many experts tried and as it was in a corner butting up to multiple walls I think they found great problem. Some 20 minutes later I was out of there and the stairs worked perfectly for the first time in 2 years, thanks to Peter, not me as without the knowledge he passed on I would have very little to help people with.
NOTE: My nick and image are from a company. That company allows people to use them both as long as they get permission and a licence. I have that and a certificate to prove it.

"These are not the Druids you are looking for..."
1 user thanked The_Black_Rieder for this useful post.
HONEY_ALWYS_RnS on 9/17/2017(UTC)
The_Black_Rieder
#9 Posted : Friday, August 18, 2017 2:48:11 AM(UTC)

I found some descriptive pics in my archive and will now upload them to my own server rather than PB. Also included is a free tool one of the users made to align the two red colliders. Feel free to grab it. We all try to help here.

and here is the free alignment tool;

When you look to line up the two red lines you must get into the habit of looking from several different angles as they may look to meet but be far apart from another angle, it is deceptive. Also, if you have a prop at a higher height than you are then you are promoting gaps. Get a collide set cube or something to jump up on or set the Fly Mode so you are level with the prop/s. Line up by the TOP Colliders, not the bottom, even if this leaves a gap between two props. The collide extends past the end of the props and covers the gap anyway. You do not put them prop to prop but top collide line to top collide line. this is because we do not walk, it is simply an animation. we are actually carried at height 500+1, 501 from the top of the prop and the topmost red collider line sets this 501 figure.

If you think of the collide line traversing the floor it hits a small angle and carries on at 501 both across the floor and up the ramp. The avatar being carried like a piece of meat on a hook. You do not walk across the floor, you only look like you do. The angle at the top is far greater than at the bottom and the magical 501 must be maintained, hence meeting the two top most red colliders so the piece of meat maintains 501 above the ramp and onto the top flat section, still at 501 above it. Note: Thanks and reference again to Peter...
NOTE: My nick and image are from a company. That company allows people to use them both as long as they get permission and a licence. I have that and a certificate to prove it.

2 users thanked The_Black_Rieder for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 8/18/2017(UTC), HONEY_ALWYS_RnS on 9/17/2017(UTC)
Mrs_Andi_FWF
#10 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 2:31:49 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Revisiting this thread.....

I have no problem making stairs. BUT (argh) trying to add a stage to a purchased layout, on top of a court floor which is 19.02 x 1 x 22.44
I tried a variety of collidibles for the ramp, it's like I hit a road block, I have to zig zag to get up the steps. Could it be because of the large court floor?
The_Wraith
#11 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 3:35:05 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I'd say its probably caused by the court floor. It's sized way to large to ramp stairs off of. Go in the editor and write down the X, Y and Z coordinates on the position tab. Then create a Surface Water prop and place it using the same numbers. Scale it to the size you need and make it collidable. Uncheck the collide on the court floor and see if it works then.
5 users thanked The_Wraith for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 8/25/2017(UTC), Mrs_Andi_FWF on 8/25/2017(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 8/25/2017(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 8/27/2017(UTC), SaphyreRose on 9/11/2017(UTC)
Mrs_Andi_FWF
#12 Posted : Friday, August 25, 2017 4:34:45 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: The_Wraith Go to Quoted Post
I'd say its probably caused by the court floor. It's sized way to large to ramp stairs off of. Go in the editor and write down the X, Y and Z coordinates on the position tab. Then create a Surface Water prop and place it using the same numbers. Scale it to the size you need and make it collidable. Uncheck the collide on the court floor and see if it works then.

I'll give that a try, there are four sets of stairs unfortunately, that lead to this oversized court floor, I'm hoping it's a smooth transition.
The_Black_Rieder
#13 Posted : Saturday, August 26, 2017 1:34:55 AM(UTC)

If all else fails and for others reading this later I offer this information too;

Reference the above rough sketch in Paint Shop Pro. The top image is the existing too large floor (too large for the stairs), ignore all rounded corners as I did say rough. The bottom image represents the same too large floor but split in 3 pieces. Because they are all the same material, they all butt up to each other, they are all the same height the avatar walks across them with no problems whatsoever and just like it was the full floor in the first rectangle, albeit in this image with rounded corners. But the stairs use this marked stair strip as just the single strip, not counting it as the earlier large floor. Even better is it is counted as within tolerance and the large floor to stair problem no longer exists. Flat Plane (set collide-able) to Flat Plane (set collide-able) works, mix it with other props and it may or may not work (though non collide props are aok), it may even work sometimes and not others.

It does not matter in tests how long it is as long as it is only 1.00 to 2.00 but can go a bit bigger. I use it on all big floors where I find the stair to large floor problem. I have tested in Flat Plane only as that is the material I much prefer to work with and was shown by Peter as the preferred prop to use. But this should work for all props. It does not matter where in the large floor the strip is as long as it is only 1.00 wide though 2.00 may work. You could test bigger, I just use 1.00 to 2.00 as my reference mark or guideline. Trial and error will tell you what works and what does not if all other stair conditions are met and it is only a floor perimeter size problem to stair ramp. So you may get away with it near the edge if that is where the stairs are then you only use 2 props. If the texture comes out all wrong for the whole floor then use a Flat Plane with collide in and any other full 1 piece size floor over the top that takes a texture, but add no collide to it. I then call the Flat Plane in this case a scaffolding and set it invisible in the State Tab after testing.

3 users thanked The_Black_Rieder for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 9/10/2017(UTC), SaphyreRose on 9/11/2017(UTC), HONEY_ALWYS_RnS on 9/17/2017(UTC)
Mussentuchit
#14 Posted : Sunday, September 10, 2017 12:41:46 PM(UTC)

is the tool a .png file?? if not can we make it one and post it so it could be used in a cube to get multiple views at once. ?? thanks
The_Black_Rieder
#15 Posted : Monday, September 11, 2017 1:49:28 AM(UTC)

I take it you mean the Stair Alignment Tool and just the background? Here it is, make sure you download and store it some place that hosts transparent .png files. UV used to just display them like a .jpg with no transparency values, though they have changed it in the new picture storage setup.

2 users thanked The_Black_Rieder for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 9/11/2017(UTC), HONEY_ALWYS_RnS on 9/17/2017(UTC)
_Mr_Christian
#16 Posted : Friday, September 15, 2017 11:58:46 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I am by no means a deco expert, but I was taught to create the absolute bottom of any layout by covering the entire usable area with 3x3, 4x4, or 5x5 court floors. This does create additional props of course, but I have had no problems with ramping from that type of floor. I am not entirely sure if that is necessary, but it works.

I have also noticed that in some cases the difference in gait between the male and female avatars can affect the performance of a ramp. The alignment tool is very useful. The idea as far as I can tell, is to get the top edges of the two planes you wish to join to occupy the same spot in all three meridians.

I have also seen that many people opt. to use a "door" to move to a location on the stage rather than a ramp.
1 user thanked _Mr_Christian for this useful post.
HONEY_ALWYS_RnS on 9/17/2017(UTC)
The_Wraith
#17 Posted : Saturday, September 16, 2017 2:09:46 AM(UTC)

Medals:
The problem with using multiple court floors like that is the amount of seems it creates. If you've ever been walking across what looks like a flat area and suddenly get stuck for no reason it's most likely a seem between two collides. There are several flat surfaces you can use and I find it's better to use one that is closest to the size of the space your using it on.

These are all scaled 1x1x1 and centered on a basic vacant street.

If I were starting a new build in an open area I'd start with the surface water as my base. From that I's use the plane 01 or court floor for levels above it. As long as you line up your ramps correctly there is no problem ramping off a surface water with a flat plane and connecting to a plane 01 or court floor at the top. Using different props for different levels also makes things easier when you go back later to adjust things. You don't try and grab a prop and have to pick between 4 different court floors to find the one you need.
3 users thanked The_Wraith for this useful post.
_Mr_Christian on 9/16/2017(UTC), LazTopCat on 9/16/2017(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 9/16/2017(UTC)