Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Using Dropbox to host textures?
Cougar
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 5:29:59 PM(UTC)

So...I have a license for unlimited space on Dropbox and was told I could host my texture files from there and dump Photobucket.

I can't seem to figure out how to do it, if I chose Copy Dropbox link, I get ye olde checkerboard.

Is it possible to use Dropbox? Does anyone else do this? Will someone please share the secret code???

Thanks

Coug
Don't shop, just adopt. Support your local animal rescue, if you can't adopt, foster, if you can't foster, sponsor, if you can't sponsor, volunteer, if you can't volunteer, donate, if you can't donate educate! Give old blankets and towels! And PLEASE, ALWAYS spay or neuter your pet!!

Hot_Liquor
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 6:07:34 PM(UTC)

It's not completely clear but I found these public access instructions below.

Create a shared link if you want anyone to be able to click a link to access your file—people don't need a Dropbox account to view your file.

People can:

view files
comment on files
download a copy of files

But, people can't edit the original files in your Dropbox.

To share a link

If you haven't already, install the Dropbox desktop app on your computer.
Right-click the file and hover over More…
Choose Copy Dropbox link.
The link will be copied to your clipboard. You can then paste it to an email, message, or wherever people can access it.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/167
1 user thanked Hot_Liquor for this useful post.
Cougar on 9/6/2016(UTC)
Cougar
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 6:21:32 PM(UTC)

Thanks Kesha,

I tried that, it seemed pretty obvious to me, but I get the checkerboard...I can put it in a browser and it looks great.

I was REALLY hoping this would workSad

Coub
Don't shop, just adopt. Support your local animal rescue, if you can't adopt, foster, if you can't foster, sponsor, if you can't sponsor, volunteer, if you can't volunteer, donate, if you can't donate educate! Give old blankets and towels! And PLEASE, ALWAYS spay or neuter your pet!!

Hot_Liquor
#4 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 6:30:35 PM(UTC)

Can you paste a sample link?
1 user thanked Hot_Liquor for this useful post.
Cougar on 9/6/2016(UTC)
Cougar
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 8:02:52 PM(UTC)

https://www.dropbox.com/...2336639458642_n.jpg?dl=0

1 user thanked Cougar for this useful post.
Loving_INTENSE on 9/6/2016(UTC)
lightsenshi6
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 8:09:21 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Unless policy has changed, dropbox tends to change or even delete links at times. Had that problem when I used it.
Hot_Liquor
#7 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 8:37:28 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Cougar Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Kesha,

I tried that, it seemed pretty obvious to me, but I get the checkerboard...I can put it in a browser and it looks great.

I was REALLY hoping this would workSad

Coub

If you open your link in a browser then right click depending on your browser Firefox is right click "Copy Image Location" you get a working in game URL.

Example:
Yes it's huge but it works Smile

https://photos-6.dropbox.com/t/2/AAANrHkPZjF9kpuCSOFjYUcGcsCkpTZB9TnMoJFqf37p8g/12/242922844/jpeg/32x32/3/1473235200/0/2/13254192_1092546704152817_641512336639458642_n.jpg/ELaVkNkBGPDWHyAHKAc/LbiDlGJCLitgGxhv1xnnrgrmHbyA1PBe-94jbZt5BRA?size_mode=3&dl=0&size=1280x960
3 users thanked Hot_Liquor for this useful post.
Cougar on 9/6/2016(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 9/6/2016(UTC), LazTopCat on 9/7/2016(UTC)
Cougar
#8 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 9:19:24 PM(UTC)

Thanks Kesha!

That does work...it does not work in Chrome, but when I tried Firefox it worked greatSmile

Now I have to decide if that is a better way to goSmile

Coug

PS and light, I am sorry you had that experience, I have been using Dropbox for over 2 years now and never had an issue.

1 user thanked Cougar for this useful post.
Loving_INTENSE on 9/6/2016(UTC)
Loving_INTENSE
#9 Posted : Tuesday, September 06, 2016 9:43:47 PM(UTC)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/9m9qlhngnkrzore/13254192_1092546704152817_641512336639458642_n.jpg?dl=0

I see Kesha's way works perfect!

1 user thanked Loving_INTENSE for this useful post.
Cougar on 9/6/2016(UTC)
The_Black_Rieder
#10 Posted : Wednesday, September 07, 2016 12:23:47 AM(UTC)

The shortened link from Cougar works even in Chrome. But needs a login, I suspect UV is not setup for the login system they use. The longer version works but fails in Chrome because it suspects the file type and it is not a registered one. Just a FYI....
NOTE: My nick and image are from a company. That company allows people to use them both as long as they get permission and a licence. I have that and a certificate to prove it.

"These are not the Druids you are looking for..."
1 user thanked The_Black_Rieder for this useful post.
Cougar on 9/9/2016(UTC)
Cougar
#11 Posted : Friday, September 09, 2016 4:39:07 PM(UTC)

...And the texture disappears after the browser is closedSad

I see another threat with other suggestions...thanks so much to those that tried to help!

Coug

Cougar
#12 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2016 2:16:10 PM(UTC)

Ok, some of us refuse to give upSmile

I found this, tested it and it works.

https://ryanmo.co/2013/11/03/dropboxsharedlinks/

There is an additional step, but I think I can do it, especially on files the pb finds questionable!

But I am really intrigued by the suggestion in the other thread about setting up my own server...the Dropbox is unlimited, but is paid for by my company (which I own) and should I decide that Dropbox is no longer beneficial to the company I don't want to be scrambling!

Coug

2 users thanked Cougar for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 9/13/2016(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 9/13/2016(UTC)
Loving_INTENSE
#13 Posted : Tuesday, September 13, 2016 10:11:41 PM(UTC)

Ok, some of us refuse to give upSmile

I found this, tested it and it works.

https://ryanmo.co/2013/11/03/dropboxsharedlinks/

There is an additional step, but I think I can do it, especially on files the pb finds questionable!

But I am really intrigued by the suggestion in the other thread about setting up my own server...the Dropbox is unlimited, but is paid for by my company (which I own) and should I decide that Dropbox is no longer beneficial to the company I don't want to be scrambling!

Coug

Great post, Coug!

Let me expand it, maybe Dusty wants to add it!

Quote:

www.dropbox.com/u/<number>/<name of file>

To add a level of security to the shared links, Dropbox now has a hashed value so that someone
would then need to know the unique hash as well as the file name.
The chances that someone is able to guess both of these within the next 10,000 years is pretty low.
The second thing that was added was a preview to your shared links.
If you have images, you see a nice gallery in your links and Office documents now have a preview.
The downside here is that simple file hosting doesn't work by pasting in the link.

To solve this, you just need to change the actual shared link
with the link to the file itself.

To do this, you just need to replace www.dropbox.com with dl.dropboxusercontent.com.

This will serve the true file instead of the file wrapped in a preview.
For those of you using snippet software like TextExpander,
you can make this a lot faster by making a shell script snippet with the following:

Code:

#!/bin/bash

url=$(echo %clipboard | sed 's/www.dropbox.com/dl.dropboxusercontent.com/g' | tr -d '\n')

echo "$url"

Now an image like

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kyjm1pr79g2irfj/Guinness%20Storehouse%20top.jpg

turns into this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/kyjm1pr79g2irfj/Guinness%20Storehouse%20top.jpg

You can use that now, in the cached web image script!!

L

3 users thanked Loving_INTENSE for this useful post.
Cougar on 9/14/2016(UTC), The_Black_Rieder on 9/14/2016(UTC), LazTopCat on 9/14/2016(UTC)