Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Filter Forge Experts
SatinMynx
#1 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2016 9:02:35 AM(UTC)

I have recently purchased filter forge and trying to understand the structure of the filters.
I have one particular filter, which by the creator supposed to have an option to get rid of the texture behind it and just use the stitching as a stencil.The filter is the lock stitch. Following is what the creator posted with that filter:
"obvious there is an unattached 'add' node near the result if you need to use it as a stencil without the fabric maps. probably easiest to convert it to a 'simple' and plug that in to the result"
Can anyone clue me in on this? Been searching trying to find an answer with no luck!

Click Banner for my closet!
Click-able Link to Main Showroom!
vww://utherverse.vww/@116894/@799121
__Willow__
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2016 9:52:10 AM(UTC)

I found this.. Not sure if it will help but it was worth a try

2 users thanked __Willow__ for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 3/2/2016(UTC), SatinMynx on 3/2/2016(UTC)
Tergiet
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2016 3:28:33 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I couldn't find that filter in the search, could you post a link? I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what they mean.

2 users thanked Tergiet for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 3/2/2016(UTC), SatinMynx on 3/2/2016(UTC)
Anhton_Novo
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2016 6:14:23 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Tergiet Go to Quoted Post
I couldn't find that filter in the search, could you post a link? I'll take a look and see if I can figure out what they mean.

I think that the link for that filter is:

Filter Forge Lockstitch

Description
support for single and double needle straight stitches.the 'tension' slider pulls the thread into the fabric and causes bunching - everything else should be pretty obvious. there is an unattached 'add' node near the result if you need to use it as a stencil without the fabric maps. probably easiest to convert it to a 'simple' and plug that in to the result

Keywords

lockstitch seam thread sewing fabric

Filter Controls
Thread Color
Stitch Count
Thread Diameter
Needle Spacing
Thread Tension
Stitch Quality
Seam Meander
Fabric Color
Weave Density
Nylon/Cloth
Weave Type

I hope this information is helpful.

Best,
Anhton
2 users thanked Anhton_Novo for this useful post.
Tergiet on 3/3/2016(UTC), SatinMynx on 3/3/2016(UTC)
SatinMynx
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 02, 2016 8:27:28 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Anhton_Novo Go to Quoted Post

I think that the link for that filter is:

Filter Forge Lockstitch

Description
support for single and double needle straight stitches.the 'tension' slider pulls the thread into the fabric and causes bunching - everything else should be pretty obvious. there is an unattached 'add' node near the result if you need to use it as a stencil without the fabric maps. probably easiest to convert it to a 'simple' and plug that in to the result

Keywords

lockstitch seam thread sewing fabric

Filter Controls
Thread Color
Stitch Count
Thread Diameter
Needle Spacing
Thread Tension
Stitch Quality
Seam Meander
Fabric Color
Weave Density
Nylon/Cloth
Weave Type

I hope this information is helpful.

Best,
Anhton

Yes thats the one!

1 user thanked SatinMynx for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 3/2/2016(UTC)
Tergiet
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2016 7:14:39 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Thanks, I am looking at it now. And I don't think the stencil feature does what you think it does - To make a stitch on transparent background? The stencil mode only creates the stitch without the fabric texture, there is a ~50% grey color behind it.

In PS, Gimp, etc - You could then use that "stencil" as an overlay on whatever you want. 50% grey has no effect in overlay mode, so only the stencil would show.

3 users thanked Tergiet for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 3/3/2016(UTC), __Dusty__ on 3/3/2016(UTC), LazTopCat on 3/3/2016(UTC)
SatinMynx
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2016 10:44:02 AM(UTC)

Thanks, I am looking at it now. And I don't think the stencil feature does what you think it does - To make a stitch on transparent background? The stencil mode only creates the stitch without the fabric texture, there is a ~50% grey color behind it.

In PS, Gimp, etc - You could then use that "stencil" as an overlay on whatever you want. 50% grey has no effect in overlay mode, so only the stencil would show.

Ahhhhh ok, thank you so much for taking the time and clearing that up!ThumpUp

1 user thanked SatinMynx for this useful post.
Tergiet on 3/3/2016(UTC)
SatinMynx
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2016 12:33:11 PM(UTC)

Another question.....is it possible to render a filter and then render another one on top of it without having to export the texture and bring it back in for another filter? Since i dont have photoshop and working with gimp, my filter forge is the stand alone version.
Dont know if that makes a difference or not.

Tergiet
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2016 12:39:59 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: SatinMynx_AWDeco Go to Quoted Post
Another question.....is it possible to render a filter and then render another one on top of it without having to export the texture and bring it back in for another filter? Since i dont have photoshop and working with gimp, my filter forge is the stand alone version.

As far as I know, there is not a way to do this, even with the PS version. I usually just render one, then open it back up to do another on top. I have not looked into 5.0 yet, so maybe they added that feature, I will check.

If it is something you will be doing often, you can copy filter components into another filter, and then connect where you think it should go, like what went into Result, would instead go where the external image is plugged in. Like if you wanted to combine a frame with a image effect.

SatinMynx on 3/3/2016(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 3/3/2016(UTC)
SatinMynx
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2016 3:45:10 PM(UTC)

As far as I know, there is not a way to do this, even with the PS version. I usually just render one, then open it back up to do another on top. I have not looked into 5.0 yet, so maybe they added that feature, I will check.

If it is something you will be doing often, you can copy filter components into another filter, and then connect where you think it should go, like what went into Result, would instead go where the external image is plugged in. Like if you wanted to combine a frame with a image effect.

Well i have the 5.0 version and did not find a feature in there that would even suggest to be able to do this. I take that as a no then.
Have to say tho, this is a wonderful new toy!

Tergiet
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2016 3:53:13 PM(UTC)

Medals:

Well i have the 5.0 version and did not find a feature in there that would even suggest to be able to do this. I take that as a no then.
Have to say tho, this is a wonderful new toy!

I absolutely love FF, and I use it for everything! You will never regret the purchase Smile

Anhton_Novo on 3/3/2016(UTC), SatinMynx on 3/4/2016(UTC)
The_Wraith
#12 Posted : Thursday, March 03, 2016 7:33:32 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I've been using Filter Forge since version 2 and have loved it since I got it. This last time around I went ahead and got the lifetime membership. So any new version that comes out they will send me a new key on the release day. Best way to keep it up to date.
3 users thanked The_Wraith for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 3/3/2016(UTC), SatinMynx on 3/4/2016(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 3/4/2016(UTC)
SatinMynx
#13 Posted : Friday, March 04, 2016 5:25:12 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: The_Wraith Go to Quoted Post
I've been using Filter Forge since version 2 and have loved it since I got it. This last time around I went ahead and got the lifetime membership. So any new version that comes out they will send me a new key on the release day. Best way to keep it up to date.

I cant get my head out of it!! Its kinda like christmas!!!
Btw do they update the versions frequently?

The_Wraith
#14 Posted : Friday, March 04, 2016 11:41:14 AM(UTC)

Medals:
They tend to add small updated periodically through out a version. These I think are mainly to stop any cracked versions. But major version changes usually come once a year. To be able yo use any of the newer version filters you will need to upgrade. But you would still be able to use any new filters made for the version you have and any older versions.