Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Self hosting your stuff.
Mussentuchit
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 21, 2016 8:19:45 PM(UTC)

In light of recent in world events such as others copying your stuff and loosing designs to soon expiring accounts, the victorg chronicles.
I have looked into what it takes to host my own works. Below is a link i would like to share with all. It does not appear to be too difficult. Unless you are indeed truly self hosting.

http://lifehacker.com/ho...photos-online-1461903693

Included are ideas on hosting software some free and some not free and what may be your best avenue.
3 users thanked Mussentuchit for this useful post.
Silesa on 2/21/2016(UTC), Playa_Designs on 2/22/2016(UTC), DurtyJay on 2/23/2016(UTC)
The_Wraith
#2 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 2:30:16 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I've had my own site for 4 or 5 years now. Although I don't use it to host my in game textures. I run my map site of it. So to keep people from using up my bandwidth I have the hotlink protection enabled. I can host my own SWF files from it and other things that I've added to be able to send to people.

For my prop maps and textures that I've been hosting I used the CopperMine Gallery. Third listed on the link you gave. It's a fairly good set up. Easy to use and sort you images with. It's also offered as an install option on a lot of web site packages. So an automatic install makes things easier still.

One thing I would recommend is going with a well known web hosting company. True it might be a little more cost upfront. But your not only paying for the web site and space. Your paying for the reliability of that site and knowing your site will always be online and your files safe. Personally I use GoDaddy. It runs me about 100 bucks a year for the site. Maybe another 8 or 10 for the .com address. I started on a host that wasn't so stable. Had a lot of problems with my site dropping offline for 10 or 15 minutes at a time. Then after a while would drop for 30 minutes or an hour. Ans things would get worse from there. If you host your own textures, any time you drop offline like that you get grey boxes in world. So do a little research before you decide on just grabbing the cheapest option you can get. Another thing to check on a host it what comes with the hosting package. How much storage space. How much bandwidth your allowed. How many MySQL databases you can use. All three of these are very important. Bandwidth and storage are pretty self explanatory. The MySQL databases on the other hand are probably pretty foreign to those without any web site background. Just keep in mind that when you set up a system like coppermine all the information and structure of that set up is stored in the database. And that uses 1 MySQL database. My site allows me 25 databases. So I have the option and also running a second Coppermine gallery or some other type of CMS set up. At one time I have a full Nuke website on mine. That used 1 or 2 databases itself. So think about not only what you want to do with it now but also what you might want to do at a later time and try to pick a package that will allow you to do everything you want it to/.
8 users thanked The_Wraith for this useful post.
elmerfudddaffy on 2/22/2016(UTC), Mussentuchit on 2/22/2016(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 2/22/2016(UTC), LazTopCat on 2/22/2016(UTC), divingA_WnC on 2/22/2016(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 2/23/2016(UTC), Lucky_Strke on 2/23/2016(UTC), DurtyJay on 2/23/2016(UTC)
Silesa
#3 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 7:36:10 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Thank Wraith for all the years of being dedicated to others here hosting the map templates

for Everyone here

Thanks also for reminding me to do what we all should and send you some ray love

Some on it's way to ya Thanks again Wraith
CALL CONGRESS reps/senators
GET Citizens United v. FEC OVERTURNED.END CORPORATE CONTROL
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

DON'T PLAY THE FORUM GAME WE ARE ALL BETTER THAN THAT

SUPPORT UV ARTIST/VENDORS/ENTERTAINERS AVI IMAGE BY Mizaki_Tanaka
REGISTER TO VOTE OR CHECK IF REGISTERED @ https://www.usa.gov/election-office
1 user thanked Silesa for this useful post.
The_Wraith on 2/22/2016(UTC)
The_Wraith
#4 Posted : Monday, February 22, 2016 10:49:22 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Thank you Silesa. It's very much appreciated. And I'm happy I've been able to keep it up and running for everybody.

Don't really mean to derail the thread to much here but have been meaning to mention this for a while now.

UV hasn't been very helpful at giving us anything new for me to add to the site in a while. So at the suggestion of somebody that wanted to contribute to the site I've started doing some custom textures and made a section for them. If anybody has anything they would like to add also gimmie a shout on my profile and I'll get it added. Keep in mind it's only for stuff you created yourself and not just something you found and like. I don't want any issues with somebody telling me i have something of theirs they didn't want added.

Standard rules of the game apply here.
Textures are free for people to use in their personal properties.

Textures are free to use in layouts you create to sell.

Textures are not to be sold as any texture pack or hosted on any other site or in world store without express permission from the creator. In short. Don't be a douche bag and steal somebodies shit.

Anybody that wishes to add any textures will have their name and profile link added in the image description to give credit for their work. Those that like the textures and use them, while not mandatory, please consider sending a few rays to the creator. They work hard on these maps and it's always nice to let them know they are appreciated.

Ok please continue with your normal forum viewing.
6 users thanked The_Wraith for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 2/22/2016(UTC), Silesa on 2/23/2016(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 2/23/2016(UTC), Tergiet on 2/23/2016(UTC), DurtyJay on 2/23/2016(UTC), LazTopCat on 2/23/2016(UTC)
1_Despicable_Me
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 23, 2016 12:45:13 PM(UTC)

You may wanna look into Hostgator.con Wraith. No limits like godady. I've used them for about 6 years now.

My only complaint is after your initial signup, they arnt as cheap as other places can be. But service is excellent.
Has Biden The Coward agreed to a live discussion with Putin Yet? Of course not, He's hiding in the Whitehouse Bunker getting his diaper changed still feeling humiliated by Putin.

1 user thanked 1_Despicable_Me for this useful post.
DurtyJay on 2/23/2016(UTC)