Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Trademarking a name
Ms_Angibaby
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2015 11:22:46 PM(UTC)

I have seen several clubs and designers who have trademarked a name. Does anyone know how they went about it?
Gwinnevere
#2 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2015 11:28:00 PM(UTC)

same way you do it in real life. apply for a trademark via u.s. patent office or trademark office. here is a link..

http://www.uspto.gov/tra...started/trademark-basics
Ms_Angibaby
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2015 11:36:51 PM(UTC)

Gwinnevere

I have a club in here that was originally my best friends club she died in March 2014. She left instructions with her rl brother for me to have it and run it. The brother quit paying the VIP on the account so I had to move it to my property and rebuild it. I am trying to keep her memory alive and the club she loved so much going. This guy just opened his club with the same name but didnt check explore to see if there was another club named it. When I talked to him he was a total jerk and iggied me. Trying to think of a way to keep the name. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Todd73NJ
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 26, 2015 11:52:07 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Ms_Angibaby Go to Quoted Post
I have seen several clubs and designers who have trademarked a name. Does anyone know how they went about it?

Believe it or not, the vast majority of the people who might put a TM or C next to something in world, and claim to have trademarked or copyrighted it... didnt.

But if you do it, for real, thats great!
1 user thanked Todd73NJ for this useful post.
SaphyreRose on 12/27/2015(UTC)
Playa_Designs
#5 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2015 1:33:57 AM(UTC)

We are playing in a fantasy world with fantasy trademarks. Nothing is real and there is little to no support and/or policing from the owners.

Do what you want
1 user thanked Playa_Designs for this useful post.
Pig_PV on 12/27/2015(UTC)
Pig_PV
#6 Posted : Sunday, December 27, 2015 6:55:49 AM(UTC)

Medals:
TM you dont have to register a TM(well the fact is you just cant or it would be the R symbol for registered) is not the same as ® and means your using a name but the name is not registered. Why ® is for Registered~

Far as copyright once you make/produce/record/write something you have copy right on that whether its registered or not and no need to register it but you can of course if you feel the need but your not any more protected but can make protecting it easier much like an ® that is registered~ Regardless if its registered or not you still are the copyright holder and you have a copyright by default on your works and nothing else is legally needed
so make a pretty pixel shirt or sing a little song or make a pretty poem and use that Circle C~

You can register your copyright by filing a simple form and depositing one or two samples of the work (depending on what it is) with the U.S. Copyright Office. There are different forms for different types of works -- for example, form TX is for literary works while form VA is for a visual art work. http://copyright.gov/eco/
Pete Buttigieg 2024!

2 users thanked Pig_PV for this useful post.
Hot_Liquor on 12/27/2015(UTC), Treas_BBLic_DRMC on 1/5/2016(UTC)
MuonGold
#7 Posted : Saturday, January 02, 2016 9:26:36 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Free SEX™

I have never had good luck trying to trademark sex
Rand
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 05, 2016 10:46:48 AM(UTC)

The other thing to keep in mind if you trademark something is that the laws are completely different than they are with copyright. The major difference is that with Copyright, you can know about an infringement and choose not to prosecute the offender, typically if they're so small time that there's no way you'd even recoup the attorney costs to go after them. With Trademark you really don't have that option. If you know about it or hear about someone using your trademark, the case law says you *have* to go after the offender, or risk losing your trademark, forever. That's one of the main reasons Disney got such a reputation for going after anything and everything. People thought all of those lawsuits were copyright infringement cases, and they were that too. But the main thing Disney was trying to protect in most cases was their Trademarks. And they really didn't have a choice in whether to go after the offenders or not. cuz no way were they going to allow their numerous Trademarks to be confiscated by whomever wanted to grab them.
Rand Has Left The Building...

...but apparently The Learning Zone and RaD Catalog get to stay open! And yes the TLZ remains Free!

1 user thanked Rand for this useful post.
Czarcasm on 1/5/2016(UTC)