Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Clothing question
LP_Designs
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 1:17:43 AM(UTC)

Hello

:-) this has probably been asked many times before, but can't find answer via search of forum.

I am really keen to start creating my own clothing line, and have downloaded the Designer kit and sample texture kit... but in the designer kit I only see the prop maps for Legacy clothing hence the map for T-Shirt for example gives tearing along arms and other small sections of body.
Where do I find the maps for New Style from?

:-) or am I merely overlooking it inside the packs?
divingA_WnC
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 1:53:38 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: _Monica_Hot Go to Quoted Post
Hello

:-) this has probably been asked many times before, but can't find answer via search of forum.

I am really keen to start creating my own clothing line, and have downloaded the Designer kit and sample texture kit... but in the designer kit I only see the prop maps for Legacy clothing hence the map for T-Shirt for example gives tearing along arms and other small sections of body.
Where do I find the maps for New Style from?

:-) or am I merely overlooking it inside the packs?

Hello there Monica,

have a look into the folder as shown with the screen shot.

I also copied you the read-me text file.

Quote:
In this package you will find a number of resources for clothing designers in the Utherverse.

Inside you will find:

1. UV Maps:
These are texture maps showing how the meshes are made and how a texture is applied to a given mesh.

2. Obj Files:
These are mesh files that you can load into a 3D program such as Blender or Maya, to see the clothing that you will be applying your textures to. Note than many of the meshes will contain TWO materials. One for the skin, and a separate one for the clothing. Therefore if you look at the UVs in a 3D modeling program you'll see a lot of overlap in the UV viewer.

3. GR2 Files:
These are the files that are used in the client for all props and clothing. They can be viewed in a program such as Granny Viewer. All GR2 files are named the same as the GML files that reference them.

4. Example Textures:
These are some of the default textures used in the client, for example and comparison purposes.

Texture naming conventions:

Female Upper Body:
HFUT_

Female Lower Body:
HFUL_

Male Upper Body:
HMUT_

Male Lower Body:
HMUL_

Note about Old Style Avatars:

When the "New Style Avatar" button is NOT clicked inside the client, you will default to the medium poly versions of the Upperbody_Nude, Lowerbody_Nude and Lowerbody_Genitals meshes, and you will be locked to only using the base Head model instead of any of the Head_01 etc models. The relevant midpoly meshes and UV maps are also available in this kit.

When mixing and matching between "Old" and "New" styles, you will be using the high poly meshes, will be applying your textures as decals overtop of the skin layer, instead of on a separate layer as with the new style models.

Kind regards, divingA

He who does not submit to the laws, must leave the area where they apply. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
2 users thanked divingA_WnC for this useful post.
LP_Designs on 6/7/2015(UTC), RandyKnight on 6/7/2015(UTC)
LP_Designs
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 2:11:46 AM(UTC)

So have used the correct map as overlay to see how to apply my actual texture.
Is clipping or holes appearing in T-Shirt then normal?
I have clipping at under right arm and on shoulders, plus at bottom of T-Shirt map I see the belly protruding occasionally.
Is this all normal due to the mesh not fitting quite properly, and more importantly does anyone have suggestion on how to minimise this clipping in RLC or to make to less obvious so that a high quality product can be produced?
divingA_WnC
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 2:24:15 AM(UTC)

Medals:

So have used the correct map as overlay to see how to apply my actual texture.
Is clipping or holes appearing in T-Shirt then normal?
I have clipping at under right arm and on shoulders, plus at bottom of T-Shirt map I see the belly protruding occasionally.
Is this all normal due to the mesh not fitting quite properly, and more importantly does anyone have suggestion on how to minimise this clipping in RLC or to make to less obvious so that a high quality product can be produced?

Hello again Monica,

well, some users call it the "flash-effect" ... some speak of the "bleed-through" effect, I can assure you, you havent done anything wrong, this happens more or less with almost every mesh. What I do to avoid is, make underwear having on these certain spots the exact same texture on the mesh called: HF_Upperbody_Nude and apply that too.

But i am definitely a non-professional regarding clothes design, there are 100s if not 1000s, that are certainly the way much better advisors than I am.

Kind regards, divingA

He who does not submit to the laws, must leave the area where they apply. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
4 users thanked divingA_WnC for this useful post.
Loving_INTENSE on 6/7/2015(UTC), LP_Designs on 6/7/2015(UTC), WildPlay_WPT on 6/7/2015(UTC), RandyKnight on 6/7/2015(UTC)
LP_Designs
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 2:38:49 AM(UTC)

:-) thanks

Yeah so basically sme technique is applied as used in other 3D worlds.
Place underwear underneath to avoid tearing - as called in IMVU.

Thanks for help
ThumpUp
LP_Designs
#6 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 3:01:41 AM(UTC)

:-) am I doing something wrong?

Am applying upperbody_nude as underwear but it not changing in world on the outfit I'm testing??

I do have underwear ticked in closet
divingA_WnC
#7 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 3:20:04 AM(UTC)

Medals:
:-) am I doing something wrong?

Am applying upperbody_nude as underwear but it not changing in world on the outfit I'm testing??

I do have underwear ticked in closet

As for the highlightened part: LOL like I knew, I havent been with you. But have this as yet another helpful advic from newbie to newbie Wink

Pay attention to the parts highlightened with a red arrow. Sex Clothing as decal is, what you want if it should be underwear.

From what and how i understood you, you uploadd the texture already. So choose "Existing (Current Group)" from the drop down menu of your texture library.

Good luck, divingA

3 users thanked divingA_WnC for this useful post.
WildPlay_WPT on 6/7/2015(UTC), LP_Designs on 6/7/2015(UTC), RandyKnight on 6/7/2015(UTC)
LP_Designs
#8 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 5:42:22 AM(UTC)

Wink Knew it must of been something simple.

Thanks from one newbie to the other....
Rand
#9 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 6:03:35 AM(UTC)

Monica you may want to pop by the TLZ (see my signature for the VWW URL) while you still can. It's open for another few weeks.

Along the left wall, down towards the opposite end of where you enter, are two videos that cover pretty much all of the tips and tricks of working with the New Style avatars. Including the use of Coverage layers to control bleed-thru, among other things.
Rand Has Left The Building...

...but apparently The Learning Zone and RaD Catalog get to stay open! And yes the TLZ remains Free!

3 users thanked Rand for this useful post.
RandyKnight on 6/7/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 6/7/2015(UTC), LP_Designs on 6/8/2015(UTC)
LazTopCat
#10 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 1:20:32 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Rand Go to Quoted Post
Monica you may want to pop by the TLZ (see my signature for the VWW URL) while you still can. It's open for another few weeks.

Along the left wall, down towards the opposite end of where you enter, are two videos that cover pretty much all of the tips and tricks of working with the New Style avatars. Including the use of Coverage layers to control bleed-thru, among other things.

Yer Closing It?????Scared But where will I refer ppl that wanna learn stuff???Undecided

1 user thanked LazTopCat for this useful post.
Valli222 on 6/9/2015(UTC)
Rand
#11 Posted : Sunday, June 07, 2015 5:08:50 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: LazTopCat Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Rand Go to Quoted Post

Yer Closing It?????Scared But where will I refer ppl that wanna learn stuff???Undecided

UtherAcademy? Utherverse Support? Dunno. lol

Technically, I'm not closing it. The videos will still be there on the server, and in the same place. In fact there is a TLZ in 3DS that will still function just fine. It's closing because I think it'll close all on its own when accounts here start going green. If the venue stays available when that happens, it'll still be there, but I don't think that's the way it works. Whistle
Rand Has Left The Building...

...but apparently The Learning Zone and RaD Catalog get to stay open! And yes the TLZ remains Free!

2 users thanked Rand for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 6/7/2015(UTC), divingA_WnC on 6/8/2015(UTC)
LP_Designs
#12 Posted : Monday, June 08, 2015 11:38:38 PM(UTC)

Thanks RAD....

Smile I hope there is tips on how to line up the back of the outfit with the front as that is what I want to ask now ....

I am used to working with maps that wrap from the front of the av around to the back, hence the join line is in middle of avi's back.
I like it that the jon line is down the sides, but finding it a b.1.t.c.h to get it lined up Lipsrsealed

I will go look, but if anyone has tips on that I would appreciate.

Thanks
Loving_INTENSE
#13 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 12:20:39 AM(UTC)

Thanks RAD....

Smile I hope there is tips on how to line up the back of the outfit with the front as that is what I want to ask now ....

I am used to working with maps that wrap from the front of the av around to the back, hence the join line is in middle of avi's back.
I like it that the jon line is down the sides, but finding it a b.1.t.c.h to get it lined up Lipsrsealed

I will go look, but if anyone has tips on that I would appreciate.

Thanks

See if this older post is of any help!

Loving

Originally Posted by: Loving_INTENSE Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Aquatic_lover Go to Quoted Post
Im having issues with clothing when I take a map alter it such as long sleeve tshirt for new style legacy mens the skin textures I have no clue where to get skin texture to add cause when i male a top sleevless and v necked and add to avi the arms and chest is in visible so I am assuming I need to add some sort of skin texture as well and Im having a devil of a time trying figure out where these skin textures are or even how to make one please any designers how are you able to do this?

Here, see all this post,

it has so many tutorials and ways to align outfits to avatars

(after this quoted post i will add some skin making video tutorials, too)

Originally Posted by: Loving_INTENSE Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jane_Ashby Go to Quoted Post
Sinn, I'm just starting out too and agree that getting the lighting right on textures is not easy but I am finding lining things up on the meshes a bigger hassle. You've done a really nice job there.

Jane
x

I hope my little post will give you

some good info about lining up and clothing design..

collected from some amazing posts, mostly from MalevolentBeauty,

a great Designer and Tutor (who left game, 8 months ago,

I wish her every success and Happiness in all her future life!)

Originally Posted by: MalevolentBeauty Go to Quoted Post

Hope these help Smile

Originally Posted by: Liaria Go to Quoted Post
Oh so I'm a guru now? Grin

But anyway, I whipped up a quick and dirty tut on an easy way i use to line up patterns sometimes. It's not perfect, but you could say it's a step in the right direction?

Ok I hope for any tools that I mention using, that they're in PSP7. I have PSP8, so hopefully not too many changes between the two.

Ok step one, create your pattern. I didn't find out until the end of making this tut, that this pattern didn't really lend itself well to showing that it lined up with itself. Anyway, I created this pattern at 512 x 512. And I usually work at the same resolution with the meshes too.

Next step, copying and applying your texture to your mesh. Obviously as a new layer. Grin But what I do is bring it about half way down so that the pattern actually hangs off the working area. That will become clear in the next few steps.

Now for easy deleting of extraneous areas around the mesh, I have a separate layer set up that I usually keep invisible. It's filled with black that only covers the mesh itself, and about 3-5 pixels outside the mesh boundaries. On this layer, I use the magic wand to select the blank area around the mesh and...

Then while the selection is active, I click on the layer that I have my pattern on, and press delete.

Now because my deletion layer actually extends to the very bottom of the working area, the pattern doesn't get cut off from the bit that's hanging outside that area. So selecting the deform tool while I'm on that layer...

I can easily copy and paste the entire pattern sans deleted area, onto the legs mesh.

Whereby I can then start moving the pattern layer up, and stretch it with the deform tool so that the edges of teh shirt line up with the proper lines on the leg mesh.

Then a quick upload to UVD shows...

Not ideal results. But like I said, the pattern I created didn't lend itself well to showing that it was lined up. And of course this only covers the front, the back is a little harder with that curve to the mesh at the base of the back. Also, I still go by trial and error a lot. Sometimes uploading up to six test versions until I have it just right.

I havent done these for a while but here is Zippers in 2 parts.

I get so many of you asking how to do stitching, here is how I like to do it. Layer it with some layerstyles and shapes to make awesome denim.

I have a new one...Ruffles!

will look forward for amazing new outfits!!

Loving

(If you need any, copy these images to your hosting site!

Because some of them may be unavailable later, if

some PB accounts close)

Loving

3 users thanked Loving_INTENSE for this useful post.
WildPlay_WPT on 6/9/2015(UTC), divingA_WnC on 6/9/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 6/9/2015(UTC)
LP_Designs
#14 Posted : Tuesday, June 09, 2015 2:32:54 AM(UTC)

AWESOME...... Just what I ws looking for a mesh with indicators to show where the front lines up with the back :D
2 users thanked LP_Designs for this useful post.
Loving_INTENSE on 6/9/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 6/9/2015(UTC)