Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Testing new streaming setup
Viegoth
#1 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 4:51:27 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I'm testing a new music stream setup that I just configured on a spare Mac I had laying around.

This thing isn't running on a major stream provider, so I don't know how the quality will be (I'm hosting it locally). Also, I'm currently using a hacked-together configuration, so you won't get to see song titles or anything like that.

For this testing, I'm going to be streaming 46 tracks of Nightwish on auto-random-repeat at 128kbps for the remainder of the night.

So if you like Nightwish (or even if you don't know who they are and want to check out something new), click the link below to open the player.

Nightwish Radio Test

-Vie

EDIT: Feel free to leave comments and let me know if you experience any problems with the stream. I'm trying to decide which route I want to go with this, so feedback is appreciated.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

VC Designs (Viegoth Customs)

Profile Message

-
1 user thanked Viegoth for this useful post.
Caty_Edenflower_ on 5/11/2015(UTC)
PixelJim
#2 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 5:03:29 AM(UTC)

constructive criticism if it helps: can't move the volume slider. setings button may have a use in the future, but for now, bleh.

still shit tons better than anything I can do, and the music ain't bad.
I dress like a woman because I like to stare at a woman’s ass for hours when I’m on here.
Why do you stare at a man’s cartoon ass when you claim to be straight and have a choice?
1 user thanked PixelJim for this useful post.
Viegoth on 5/11/2015(UTC)
Viegoth
#3 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 5:05:04 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: PixelJim Go to Quoted Post
constructive criticism if it helps: can't move the volume slider. setings button may have a use in the future, but for now, bleh.

still shit tons better than anything I can do, and the music ain't bad.

Heh that's because it's not so much a slider as it is a clicker. Tongue

Just click along the volume bar to adjust the volume. I made it that way intentionally so that it would be easier to use in-world where mouse controls are finicky.

Oh, and yeah... the settings button is really just there so I can get some debug info while it's running.
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

Profile Message

-
PixelJim on 5/11/2015(UTC)
__KittenGirl__
#4 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 5:50:46 AM(UTC)

works super great for me Mister Viegoth! Great job. Nightwish isnt a favourite of mine but the player thingie works GREAT!
2 users thanked __KittenGirl__ for this useful post.
Loving_INTENSE on 5/11/2015(UTC), Caty_Edenflower_ on 5/11/2015(UTC)
Caty_Edenflower_
#5 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 6:03:02 AM(UTC)

Medals:
When using IE it works but no volume control I will try it on FireFox. Oh Kitten Nightwhish is a great group they kinda grow on ya>Smile

FireFox is a no go for the volume control as well. Chrome was a bust for me that's all I have to test with. With Chrome I not only couldn't move the control slider but had no sound as well just to clarify.
Love ya Caty

The _Ga_Peach_ awards The Best Bewbies in an Avi Pic Award goes to Caty_EdenFlower

I am the typo Queen so deal with it.Smile
Forum Whore and all around Pest
Politics is a contact sport with no rules.GAME ON!
'Second star to the right, and straight on till morning.'
Loving_INTENSE
#6 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 6:18:01 AM(UTC)

It worked great,

in Chrome browser Smile

1 user thanked Loving_INTENSE for this useful post.
Caty_Edenflower_ on 5/11/2015(UTC)
Loving_INTENSE
#7 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 6:23:05 AM(UTC)

Ohh sorry, we can't post here!!!

A browser player is not part of Utherverse...

Quote:
Utherverse General Discussion and Suggestions

Discuss Red Light Center, Virtual Vancouver and other parts of the Utherverse!

(For Cher)

Ivan_Samuels
#8 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 8:35:32 AM(UTC)

I got it to work on IE, FireFox, and Chrome. The volume does work by left clicking on the volume bar as does the start stop. ThumpUp
1 user thanked Ivan_Samuels for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo
#9 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 8:40:00 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Nice music stream. Was very clear to me. I opened it with Firefox and the clickable volume control worked fine for me. Great work as usual Viegoth.

Anthon
SweetGuy
#10 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 9:07:45 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Could only keep stream open for a minute or so, but sounded good while I had it open.
Czarcasm
#11 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 9:20:45 AM(UTC)

Worked fine on chrome and on dolphin browser for android.

Signature Rotation Powered By rotasig
Want a cool forum sig? Contact me for details.
Viegoth
#12 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 12:43:46 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I appreciate the feedback everyone. But just to clarify, I'm not actually testing the player. The player is something I created years ago and for the most part it's been working fine for quite a while.

What I'm testing is the stream setup itself. I'm using 3 different pieces of free software plus the ShoutCast server to get it working and I want to see how well it's going to work. Plus I'm a little curious to know how well it runs on my own server in regards to sound quality.

Profile Message

-
PixelJim
#13 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 1:44:06 PM(UTC)

sounds better than what I should be pushing tough PC speakers Wink
I dress like a woman because I like to stare at a woman’s ass for hours when I’m on here.
Why do you stare at a man’s cartoon ass when you claim to be straight and have a choice?
Silesa
#14 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 2:09:58 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Viegoth Go to Quoted Post
I appreciate the feedback everyone. But just to clarify, I'm not actually testing the player. The player is something I created years ago and for the most part it's been working fine for quite a while.

What I'm testing is the stream setup itself. I'm using 3 different pieces of free software plus the ShoutCast server to get it working and I want to see how well it's going to work. Plus I'm a little curious to know how well it runs on my own server in regards to sound quality.

Stream sounds fine to me. Had it open for 20 to 30 minutes with no problems.

CALL CONGRESS reps/senators
GET Citizens United v. FEC OVERTURNED.END CORPORATE CONTROL
https://www.house.gov/representatives/find/

DON'T PLAY THE FORUM GAME WE ARE ALL BETTER THAN THAT

SUPPORT UV ARTIST/VENDORS/ENTERTAINERS AVI IMAGE BY Mizaki_Tanaka
REGISTER TO VOTE OR CHECK IF REGISTERED @ https://www.usa.gov/election-office
DJ_ANGELLUS_
#15 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 2:19:03 PM(UTC)

Sounds good Vie. Volume bar works by clicking before and after the button. Start and stop work without issue.

Another masterpiece to your credit Vie.
DJ_Hyporis_EXC
#16 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 2:20:49 PM(UTC)

For the sound quality you have not that much influence on the server side, aside of setting a bitrate and sample rate.

If you use SHOUTcast DNAS 2.4.7, for example you are able to define some parameters through the ini file(s). If you use the centrova panel, then more comfortable through that.
I personally use a Icecast server on localhost of my machine for transcoding file formats (oog --> mp3).

What I heard on yours was fine, but you literally can't do much wrong on server side.
Important is the source audio file, and if you are a DJ, your encoder settings.
Many streams here in RLC already get "destroyed" by the streaming DJ self, because they don't know how to setup their encoders, or enforce AGC regulations for their output.
Any form of AGC is bad, as it destroys the sinus waves on the audio signal and clipping it to rectangles (causes distortions) or adding noise.

Listen to my DJ sets on SOUNDCLOUD
1 user thanked DJ_Hyporis_EXC for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 5/11/2015(UTC)
Viegoth
#17 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 2:34:22 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: DJ_Hyporis_EXC Go to Quoted Post

Any form of AGC is bad, as it destroys the sinus waves on the audio signal and clipping it to rectangles (causes distortions) or adding noise.

Clipping and rectangles in my sinuses sounds painful. Think I'll try to avoid that if I can. Tongue

Profile Message

-
2 users thanked Viegoth for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 5/11/2015(UTC), __Dusty__ on 5/11/2015(UTC)
DJ_Hyporis_EXC
#18 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 2:37:17 PM(UTC)

Clipping and rectangles in my sinuses sounds painful. Think I'll try to avoid that if I can. Tongue

Tongue just keep the output volume below 0db and you dont need any AGC Smile

Listen to my DJ sets on SOUNDCLOUD
1 user thanked DJ_Hyporis_EXC for this useful post.
Viegoth
#19 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 2:48:14 PM(UTC)

Medals:

Tongue just keep the output volume below 0db and you dont need any AGC Smile

I believe it's actually set right at 0dB. So far I haven't noticed any distortion at that level.

I'm using a piece of software called Cross DJ by MixVibes. It's a pretty decent program, but it doesn't have any broadcast capabilities. So I'm piping it through a virtual audio device using something called SoundFlower, then using Broadcast Using This Tool (BUTT) to send it to my SHOUTcast DNAS. MixVibes is actually a really nice piece of DJ software, but I think it's really intended for Live DJ sessions, not internet streaming.

The combo seems to work rather well, but it would be nice if I could find some way to import the song META data. I might have to whip up something that will send data to the DNAS.

But even without the META data, I'm thinking this setup just might work. I'm attempting to put all this together in preparation of our next forum gathering party (whenever that happens again). I was thinking I might get back in to DJing again to give the other DJs a break. Two days of constant streaming with only 2 DJs had to be a bit taxing for both DJ_Angellus_ and DJ_SweetGuy, so I want another option to give those guys a break.

Profile Message

-
5 users thanked Viegoth for this useful post.
__Dusty__ on 5/11/2015(UTC), DJ_Hyporis_EXC on 5/11/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 5/11/2015(UTC), PixelJim on 5/11/2015(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 5/11/2015(UTC)
__Dusty__
#20 Posted : Monday, May 11, 2015 2:56:34 PM(UTC)

I believe it's actually set right at 0dB. So far I haven't noticed any distortion at that level.

I'm using a piece of software called Cross DJ by MixVibes. It's a pretty decent program, but it doesn't have any broadcast capabilities. So I'm piping it through a virtual audio device using something called SoundFlower, then using Broadcast Using This Tool (BUTT) to send it to my SHOUTcast DNAS. MixVibes is actually a really nice piece of DJ software, but I think it's really intended for Live DJ sessions, not internet streaming.

The combo seems to work rather well, but it would be nice if I could find some way to import the song META data. I might have to whip up something that will send data to the DNAS.

But even without the META data, I'm thinking this setup just might work. I'm attempting to put all this together in preparation of our next forum gathering party (whenever that happens again). I was thinking I might get back in to DJing again to give the other DJs a break. Two days of constant streaming with only 2 DJs had to be a bit taxing for both DJ_Angellus_ and DJ_SweetGuy, so I want another option to give those guys a break.

Way to go Vie. . .we would love having the threesome at the next party. . .smiles!!!
“Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart.” (Carl Sagan)

Quoted by:_Ga_Peach_
Best Forum Hugs Award goes to __Dusty__
1 user thanked __Dusty__ for this useful post.