Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Appropriate Application of JPEG and PNG Image Files in RLC
Mrs_Fancy_CSF
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:18:25 AM(UTC)

Hello again everyone,

I have been trying to find information about which image file type is best for specific applications in RLC. The best piece of information that I have found in my searching so far is the following:

Texture resolution
In order to optimize the system's memory usage, we use texture maps that have "power of 2" dimensions for both width and height. Some "power of 2" values are 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, and so on.
For Red Light Center's objects, we use a maximum texture resolution of 256 (width, in pixels) x 256 (height, in pixels).
We encourage you to test reducing gradually the object's texture resolution to check how much of the quality is lost. If the object uses just a simple tileable texture map, it could be reduced to 64 x 64 or lower. On the other hand, if it has something written on it, it might be necessary to raise the resolution to 128 x 128, or even 256 x 256.
The lower the texture map's resolution, the better (performance-wise).
File formats
The current game engine supports only JPEG and PNG image formats.
If the texture map doesn't contain any kind of transparency or translucency, such as wooden, plaster or plastic textures, then the recommended format is JPEG (uncompressed/maximum quality).
If the texture map does contain transparency or translucency, then use the PNG format.

I am still somewhat confused. For example, can someone help me understand what is meant by "texture map doesn't contain any kind of transparency or translucency, such as wooden, plaster or plastic textures, then the recommended format is JPEG"?

Also, I seem to remember reading somewhere that images that will require scaling are better used as .JPEG files and images that require a high degree of realism are best saved as .PNG files. Is that information essentially correct?

I'm sorry if I am asking the same questions that have been asked 1000's of times before, but the search function for the forum (or perhaps my mind) leaves something to be desired.

Best regards,
Fancy
Honi soit qui mal y pense

(Evil be to him that thinks evil)
RandyKnight
#2 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 10:32:40 AM(UTC)

You seem to have a good handle on it..............

Use PNG when you need to fade out (state Tab) the prop for a see thru effect..........

But to me as to sizing jpeg.....if it messes up the texture for the look (if I am building a zaby layout) I dont mess with changing it...
Zaby will only have a population of 5 people max....(the point of re-sizing is to prevent lag)

If you are building for 100 avatars it is best to go by the book as you stated above.........
(people count as many as 5 props in a layout) so with 100 folks at a party you have added like 500 props to the build.

The key is to just start building and see what works best for you and you will learn as you go.

EDIT:....LOL...I see you are selling ICE WARE TVs..............Lion swears by PNG
3 users thanked RandyKnight for this useful post.
Xaoz on 4/22/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 4/22/2015(UTC), Mrs_Fancy_CSF on 4/23/2015(UTC)
Czarcasm
#3 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 10:55:30 AM(UTC)

if you're making anything with cutouts..... ie, fencing or gates etc..then png is a must.
For solid objects like a wall (unless you're going to cut out a window), then use jpg.

Go with as small a resolution as you can get away with. Your images maybe lag free, but unfortunately Utherverse has clothing designers who insist on using huge ass files for jewelry etc.

They are actually using images of 2048x2048 and up for a simple necklace. Insisting that its necessary to have the quality.

Bullshit is my answer to that.

If you have 50 avatars in your region and each has 5 textures on that are 2048 or more...no matter what you do to your images, that place will lag so bad you wont be able to move.

Sometimes you can do all you can but others have to take some responsibility too.

Signature Rotation Powered By rotasig
Want a cool forum sig? Contact me for details.
6 users thanked Czarcasm for this useful post.
RandyKnight on 4/22/2015(UTC), Xaoz on 4/22/2015(UTC), Lucky_Strke on 4/22/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 4/22/2015(UTC), Mrs_Fancy_CSF on 4/23/2015(UTC), DJ_Hyporis_EXC on 4/23/2015(UTC)
SweetGuy
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 12:44:17 PM(UTC)

Medals:
JPG files are what is considered "lossy". This means that when compressing or resizing, data will be lost. This generally results in lower quality images than the start product.

PNG files are what is considered "lossless". This means the final product is the same as the start. This allows you to create a huge file with great detail, then resize to a more reasonable file size with no loss of quality. This works great for clothing or other uses where the start file dimensions may be way too large for practical use in world. Finishing the image, then resizing to a proper dimension will retain the quality unlike JPG.
10 users thanked SweetGuy for this useful post.
RandyKnight on 4/22/2015(UTC), Xaoz on 4/22/2015(UTC), Czarcasm on 4/22/2015(UTC), Lucky_Strke on 4/22/2015(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 4/22/2015(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 4/22/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 4/22/2015(UTC), Niki_Deus_PCD on 4/23/2015(UTC), Mrs_Fancy_CSF on 4/23/2015(UTC), DJ_Hyporis_EXC on 4/23/2015(UTC)
Lucky_Strke
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 1:46:01 PM(UTC)

pretty much myself made it habit to always use png images always been using this program called riot makes images little crisper cleaner too

vww://utherverse.vww/@86540/@558478
1 user thanked Lucky_Strke for this useful post.
Mrs_Fancy_CSF on 4/23/2015(UTC)
Playa_Designs
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 2:15:02 PM(UTC)

Hi,

Very good question and all that I can offer is a little tid-bit of advice. As your skill as a decorator grows, so will your inventory of texture files grow. It is likely also that the sheer "size" of your projects will grow too...involving the use of more and more props. It is at this point that you will certainly appreciate optimized file sizes and image dimensions.

Unfortunately for me...it was only after some months that I realized this and was left with a photobucket account filled with images that were practically useless to me now. The long process of re-sizing and optimizing each image was begun and took again some months again to complete.

Do yourself a favor and look after the above from the get go...you'll be much happier for it.

Finest regards,

Playa
5 users thanked Playa_Designs for this useful post.
RandyKnight on 4/22/2015(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 4/22/2015(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 4/22/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 4/22/2015(UTC), Mrs_Fancy_CSF on 4/23/2015(UTC)
Loving_INTENSE
#7 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:41:21 PM(UTC)

I was wondering, why my skies looked so dull...

I always tried to use 2048x2048 png images, for them,

but all images resize to 1024x1024, when used outside PB!

So, I had to make a site to host these larger files...

(same file PB: )

(They may seem same, as Forum resizes them too, but

if you click to see my last posts

on the link below,

you can see the full version!)

http://forums.utherverse.com/yaf_search.aspx?postedby=Loving_INTENSE

Grin

Loving

1 user thanked Loving_INTENSE for this useful post.
Mrs_Fancy_CSF on 4/23/2015(UTC)
Mrs_Fancy_CSF
#8 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2015 5:17:26 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: RandyKnight Go to Quoted Post
You seem to have a good handle on it..............

Use PNG when you need to fade out (state Tab) the prop for a see thru effect..........

But to me as to sizing jpeg.....if it messes up the texture for the look (if I am building a zaby layout) I dont mess with changing it...
Zaby will only have a population of 5 people max....(the point of re-sizing is to prevent lag)

If you are building for 100 avatars it is best to go by the book as you stated above.........
(people count as many as 5 props in a layout) so with 100 folks at a party you have added like 500 props to the build.

The key is to just start building and see what works best for you and you will learn as you go.

EDIT:....LOL...I see you are selling ICE WARE TVs..............Lion swears by PNG

Giggles - So do I, most of the time Randy. Just looking for other informed opinions Cheesy

1 user thanked Mrs_Fancy_CSF for this useful post.
RandyKnight on 4/23/2015(UTC)
Mrs_Fancy_CSF
#9 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2015 5:24:06 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Playa_BFPDesigns Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Very good question and all that I can offer is a little tid-bit of advice. As your skill as a decorator grows, so will your inventory of texture files grow. It is likely also that the sheer "size" of your projects will grow too...involving the use of more and more props. It is at this point that you will certainly appreciate optimized file sizes and image dimensions.

Unfortunately for me...it was only after some months that I realized this and was left with a photobucket account filled with images that were practically useless to me now. The long process of re-sizing and optimizing each image was begun and took again some months again to complete.

Do yourself a favor and look after the above from the get go...you'll be much happier for it.

Finest regards,

Playa

I have received similar advice from others too Playa. That is why I am going as far out of my way as necessary to ensure what I build in my Photo Bucket account will be a useful tool and not just collection of crap (pardon my French!). Cheesy

Mrs_Fancy_CSF
#10 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2015 5:30:07 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Loving_INTENSE Go to Quoted Post

I was wondering, why my skies looked so dull...

I always tried to use 2048x2048 png images, for them,

but all images resize to 1024x1024, when used outside PB!

So, I had to make a site to host these larger files...

(same file PB: )

(They may seem same, as Forum resizes them too, but

if you click to see my last posts

on the link below,

you can see the full version!)

http://forums.utherverse.com/yaf_search.aspx?postedby=Loving_INTENSE

Grin

Loving

Yes Loving, I've discovered that too. I suppose PB had to make a decision to limit file size or let things get completely out of control, but still....

Perhaps as I get deeper into design, I will want a website of my own where I can store files with virtually unlimited dimensions, but I would imagine that such a site would be fairly pricey to maintain (disk space, bandwidth, and so on). Cheesy

DJ_Hyporis_EXC
#11 Posted : Thursday, April 23, 2015 7:12:13 AM(UTC)

For anything related to RLC, be it prop editor textures or be it clothing, JPG is good enough in 99.9 percent of any cases.
The only exception is when you need to apply any kind of transparency.

"The theoretical higher detail resolution" on PNG does not matter once a texture finalized and applied to a prop or avatar.
Or people do stand with their nose always 2cm away from a wall/avatar and search for differences with a magnifying glass?

The difference in file size can be huge and the visual effect is barely noticeable .. if at all when converted to JPG with a Quality setting <90.

It's kinda the same "nerd discussion" like when people belive that their ears hear a difference between an 192 kbps and a 320 kbps encoded mp3

If you still need to work with a file, then of course always go with a loose less uncompressed file.
But it's waste of resources on the finalized file (ready to hear or view).

Stream- or storage provider will of course always tell you fairy tales as they want to sell you their shit and charge some bucks extra for "quality" that average human senses are not able to differentiate by default.

Listen to my DJ sets on SOUNDCLOUD
3 users thanked DJ_Hyporis_EXC for this useful post.
RandyKnight on 4/23/2015(UTC), Mrs_Fancy_CSF on 4/30/2015(UTC), HONEY_ALWYS_RnS on 5/24/2015(UTC)