Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Recommended Replacement for Granny Viewer?
Mrs_Fancy_CSF
#1 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 3:22:08 PM(UTC)

Greetings all!

I am beginning to get interested in design. To that end, I have been reading many posts that talk about a program called Granny Viewer for viewing prop maps and the like. Unfortunately, it seems that Granny viewer is no longer available for download from any reliable site that I can identify and the creator, Rad Game Tools, informs that it is no longer available (well, at least not for free).

Can anyone actively involved with design advise me of what software to use in place of the legendary Granny viewer?Grin

Thanks so much!

Fancy
Honi soit qui mal y pense

(Evil be to him that thinks evil)
lottapussygalore
#2 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 3:48:55 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Fancy_SAF Go to Quoted Post
Greetings all!

I am beginning to get interested in design. To that end, I have been reading many posts that talk about a program called Granny Viewer for viewing prop maps and the like. Unfortunately, it seems that Granny viewer is no longer available for download from any reliable site that I can identify and the creator, Rad Game Tools, informs that it is no longer available (well, at least not for free).

Can anyone actively involved with design advise me of what software to use in place of the legendary Granny viewer?Grin

Thanks so much!

Fancy

well Granny is still for sale lol for 16,000$ lol I think Maya would be best for you if you know Granny,, they will accept fbx files here and for the cheap route (( free )) yay you can use Blender,, they accept Objects from blender
“I’ve learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
3 users thanked lottapussygalore for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 4/21/2015(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 4/22/2015(UTC), Mrs_Fancy_CSF on 4/22/2015(UTC)
Loving_INTENSE
#3 Posted : Tuesday, April 21, 2015 4:31:47 PM(UTC)

Greetings all!

Thanks so much!

Fancy

I found a download link....

http://www.mediafire.com/download/ixuetv36inwx1zv/Granny+Viewer.exe

check this post:

Originally Posted by: Loving_INTENSE Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Cindy_UA Go to Quoted Post
As Rand has said above granny viewer is expensive and not really needed. the link to the files you'll likely need Rand has kindly posted for youSmile).

Granny Viewer is a standalone viewer program

to demonstrate outisde the application,

Granny 3D (full program) files.

As it says, here, in their site:

http://www.radgametools.com/granny/viewer.html

Using the Granny Viewer

Introduction

The Granny Viewer is a stand-alone application

which allows you to view Granny files and inspect their contents.

It's primary purpose is as a debugging aid to programmers and artists,

so that they can view Granny data outside of their engine for verification, analysis, and inspection.

It can also be used by people who are not Granny licensees

to view Granny files from a person or company who is,

since the Granny viewer may be freely downloaded from our website. (*)

The entire viewer interface is rendered via your 3D graphics hardware.

Since the viewer is meant to be a flexible developers tool,

no consideration was given to UI rendering speed,

since it is assumed that it will be most commonly run on modern graphics hardware.

This means that, if you have an older 3D graphics card, or you have a card

which does not have any 3D acceleration,

then it will be very difficult for you to run the Granny viewer at an acceptable framerate.

This is not a limitation of Granny, only of the viewer application.

(*) There is currently no download link, from the site

After long long search, I found a link,

here

I hope this helps!

Loving

3 users thanked Loving_INTENSE for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 4/21/2015(UTC), LazTopCat on 4/21/2015(UTC), Mrs_Fancy_CSF on 4/22/2015(UTC)
__Dusty__
#4 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:07:50 AM(UTC)

You do not even need Granny Viewer at all. Check out this earlier post from Rand and others:

http://forums.utherverse...OAD-TO-MAKE-CLOTHES.aspx

In the SUPER List there are many free tutorials as well as Rands Learning Zone in world.

http://forums.utherverse...UPDATED-AND-REVISED.aspx

Scroll to the Clothing Design/Turorial Section.
“Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart.” (Carl Sagan)

Quoted by:_Ga_Peach_
Best Forum Hugs Award goes to __Dusty__
4 users thanked __Dusty__ for this useful post.
RandyKnight on 4/22/2015(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 4/22/2015(UTC), Mrs_Fancy_CSF on 4/22/2015(UTC), WildPlay_WPT on 4/22/2015(UTC)
Mrs_Fancy_CSF
#5 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 8:51:12 AM(UTC)

Thank you all for the information you have shared with me. I appreciate it greatly! I think I should have clarified that my interest in design falls mainly in the area of props and zaby design as opposed to clothing. It seems that the Granny viewer was more geared toward the clothing design side of things here. Is that correct?

Best regards,
Fancy
Honi soit qui mal y pense

(Evil be to him that thinks evil)
Rand
#6 Posted : Wednesday, April 22, 2015 9:06:58 AM(UTC)

Thank you all for the information you have shared with me. I appreciate it greatly! I think I should have clarified that my interest in design falls mainly in the area of props and zaby design as opposed to clothing. It seems that the Granny viewer was more geared toward the clothing design side of things here. Is that correct?

Best regards,
Fancy

You don't need Granny at all.

Granny is only used in RLC1. And in RLC1 you have no ability to create or upload your own props. Thus, all you need are the 2D Mesh or UV Map files and imagination in how to combine different props.

Granny is not going to be used at all moving forward to RLC2. There models are going to be in FBX format. And there (eventually) you'll be able to create custom models and upload them into the game engine.
Rand Has Left The Building...

...but apparently The Learning Zone and RaD Catalog get to stay open! And yes the TLZ remains Free!