Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
How to create skin textures?
Qtie_Heartache
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2014 1:51:19 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I'm really interested in texture creation, mostly skin right now and clothing later. People say it's hard and quite time consuming, but I'm willing to put in the effort to learn. Question is though, where do I start? I've tried searching for tutorials and information, but I don't know how to scratch that all together to find a starting point. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Czarcasm
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 09, 2014 3:36:56 AM(UTC)

I would recommend starting with clothing, and then, making skins.

Make sure you are familiar with all aspects of your graphics editing prog.

There are lots of tutorials in the stickies at the top of this section. Also check out youtube for tuts about the particular graphics prog you will be using.

Also make things for the fun of it. Dont go into it with the thought of doing it to make cash, as you'll soon find it becomes a chore.

Signature Rotation Powered By rotasig
Want a cool forum sig? Contact me for details.
1 user thanked Czarcasm for this useful post.
EleanorSCT on 8/9/2014(UTC)
KittyKat_Designs
#3 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 5:36:47 AM(UTC)

I've tried starting with hair - not a good idea.
Then I went to skin - Also not a good idea.
Now what I'd recommend is trying to start with clothes. Something easy first like skinny tops, skinny jeans then skirts etc.
Qtie_Heartache
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 12:18:57 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Thank you for the replies, now I want to ask is... are there any tutorials up to date or at least some help discussions that are up to date that could answer any problems that I should run into while learning?
1 user thanked Qtie_Heartache for this useful post.
EleanorSCT on 8/11/2014(UTC)
Rand
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 1:04:52 PM(UTC)

My personal recommendations for newer folks has always been...

• Stay away from Skins until you've got some time under your belt and have a good grasp on incorporating subtle shading and highlights into your designs.

• Stay away from Denim in the beginning. (Everybody seems to want to do Denim out of the box!) When you do start working with Denim pay particular attention to how the ridges and valley of the fabric stretch as the avatar moves. This stretch is more exaggerated on the "Skinny" meshes.

• Have a decent understanding of your graphic software, its capabilities and its tools. If you don't, start there before trying to make anything For Sale.

As for the rest and more general stuff, there are all sorts of video rebroadcasts of past clothing design classes in The Learning Zone. The VWW URL for that is in my forum signature. Those aren't exactly current, but things haven't changed much since they were made either.
Rand Has Left The Building...

...but apparently The Learning Zone and RaD Catalog get to stay open! And yes the TLZ remains Free!

2 users thanked Rand for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 8/12/2014(UTC), Cougar on 11/8/2014(UTC)
__Dusty__
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 1:16:42 PM(UTC)

Look in the clothing section of the Super How To List:

http://forums.utherverse...UPDATED-AND-REVISED.aspx
“Knowing a great deal is not the same as being smart.” (Carl Sagan)

Quoted by:_Ga_Peach_
Best Forum Hugs Award goes to __Dusty__
1 user thanked __Dusty__ for this useful post.
LazTopCat on 8/12/2014(UTC)
Qtie_Heartache
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:31:48 PM(UTC)

Medals:
In the future, I do hope to get a little bit of business with this work, but I'm far from that right now and I really just want to learn how to make these things for myself, kind of the learn by doing process. I really appreciate the guidance with the links which brings me to another distress call. I followed one of the basic t-shirt tutorials in the given links and it being my first time, ran into a couple problems that I could fix except for this bleeding problem.
Xaoz
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:48:23 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Arishaa Go to Quoted Post
In the future, I do hope to get a little bit of business with this work, but I'm far from that right now and I really just want to learn how to make these things for myself, kind of the learn by doing process. I really appreciate the guidance with the links which brings me to another distress call. I followed one of the basic t-shirt tutorials in the given links and it being my first time, ran into a couple problems that I could fix except for this bleeding problem.

Looks like you made a texture using the nude torso UV-Map and then instead of applying to the Torso skinny top, you applied it to the T-shirt mesh.

Please Shop responsibly and try before you buy
2 users thanked Xaoz for this useful post.
__Dusty__ on 8/10/2014(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 8/10/2014(UTC)
Rand
#9 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:53:40 PM(UTC)

Edit: X beat me to it. He's seeing the same thing I am.

Taking a stab here...

But it looks like you made the texture to fit the HF_Upperbody_Nude mesh, but have applied it to the Female T-Shirt when building your outfit. I think that's what we're seeing in the side being MIA.

A shirt made on that particular mesh would be attached to the Skinny Top. (use Layer: SKIN and Decal: Clothing for Skinny Tops) You don't need to upload the texture again to do that, just delete the T-Shirt entry, select Torso again and attach it to Skinny Top.

If there is only one texture so far, attach it to the Head as a temporary thing so that you can X out the Tshirt one. You can X out the Head one after you put it on Skinny Top

...but apparently The Learning Zone and RaD Catalog get to stay open! And yes the TLZ remains Free!

3 users thanked Rand for this useful post.
__Dusty__ on 8/10/2014(UTC), Loving_INTENSE on 8/10/2014(UTC), LazTopCat on 8/12/2014(UTC)
Qtie_Heartache
#10 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 8:57:35 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Hm, well I was just trying to replicate the instructions by looking for a mesh that looked the same. Just to clarify, I should have used the HF_UpperBody_Tshirt mesh and then upload the texture under t-shirt w/ skin? The answer should set me on my next course of research hehe.
Rand
#11 Posted : Sunday, August 10, 2014 9:03:13 PM(UTC)

Hm, well I was just trying to replicate the instructions by looking for a mesh that looked the same. Just to clarify, I should have used the HF_UpperBody_Tshirt mesh and then upload the texture under t-shirt w/ skin? The answer should set me on my next course of research hehe.

Essentially, yes.

If you're covering the whole Tshirt wireframe you can use just T-Shirt for your attachment. T-shirt w/ Skin is really made if you wanted to cut away part of the fabric of the tshirt to change the form.

And you'll still have bleed-through on the shoulders and other places no matter which you use. So you'll have to learn about what I call Coverage layers.

If you hit the TLZ (addy in my signature) there are 2 videos about 3/4's down the left wall from where you enter that concentrate only on how to attach different things to the new style avatar. Those include introduction to the concept of Coverage Layers. That'll be faster than trying to explain it here honestly.

Loving_INTENSE on 8/10/2014(UTC), LazTopCat on 8/12/2014(UTC)
EleanorSCT
#12 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 4:57:22 AM(UTC)

Would also be interested if there are any skin making tutorials, I always wondered.
Xaoz
#13 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 7:03:32 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Evelyn Go to Quoted Post
Would also be interested if there are any skin making tutorials, I always wondered.

One was made a few years back, but it has since been removed. Other than that one I can't think of any others that are specific to RLC/Utherverse Avatars.

Qtie_Heartache
#14 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 8:08:17 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Rand Go to Quoted Post

Essentially, yes.

If you're covering the whole Tshirt wireframe you can use just T-Shirt for your attachment. T-shirt w/ Skin is really made if you wanted to cut away part of the fabric of the tshirt to change the form.

And you'll still have bleed-through on the shoulders and other places no matter which you use. So you'll have to learn about what I call Coverage layers.

If you hit the TLZ (addy in my signature) there are 2 videos about 3/4's down the left wall from where you enter that concentrate only on how to attach different things to the new style avatar. Those include introduction to the concept of Coverage Layers. That'll be faster than trying to explain it here honestly.

Thanks for the advice, I got the chance to check it out and the coverage layer fixed it up completely. So now, I've been using the outfit creator and used the "test on avatar" button. My question is, do other people see it? Can you create an outfit to wear with other people seeing it without really publishing it?
Xaoz
#15 Posted : Monday, August 11, 2014 8:27:38 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Rand Go to Quoted Post

Essentially, yes.

Thanks for the advice, I got the chance to check it out and the coverage layer fixed it up completely. So now, I've been using the outfit creator and used the "test on avatar" button. My question is, do other people see it? Can you create an outfit to wear with other people seeing it without really publishing it?

Yes the do see it and yes you can wear it without publishing it.

_Gigglessmm_
#16 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 1:40:48 PM(UTC)

Im having issues with clothing when I take a map alter it such as long sleeve tshirt for new style legacy mens the skin textures I have no clue where to get skin texture to add cause when i male a top sleevless and v necked and add to avi the arms and chest is in visible so I am assuming I need to add some sort of skin texture as well and Im having a devil of a time trying figure out where these skin textures are or even how to make one please any designers how are you able to do this?
Loving_INTENSE
#17 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 2:42:47 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Aquatic_lover Go to Quoted Post
Im having issues with clothing when I take a map alter it such as long sleeve tshirt for new style legacy mens the skin textures I have no clue where to get skin texture to add cause when i male a top sleevless and v necked and add to avi the arms and chest is in visible so I am assuming I need to add some sort of skin texture as well and Im having a devil of a time trying figure out where these skin textures are or even how to make one please any designers how are you able to do this?

Here, see all this post,

it has so many tutorials and ways to align outfits to avatars

(after this quoted post i will add some skin making video tutorials, too)

Originally Posted by: Loving_INTENSE Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Jane_Ashby Go to Quoted Post
Sinn, I'm just starting out too and agree that getting the lighting right on textures is not easy but I am finding lining things up on the meshes a bigger hassle. You've done a really nice job there.

Jane
x

I hope my little post will give you

some good info about lining up and clothing design..

collected from some amazing posts, mostly from MalevolentBeauty,

a great Designer and Tutor (who left game, 8 months ago,

I wish her every success and Happiness in all her future life!)

Originally Posted by: MalevolentBeauty Go to Quoted Post

Hope these help Smile

Originally Posted by: Liaria Go to Quoted Post
Oh so I'm a guru now? Grin

But anyway, I whipped up a quick and dirty tut on an easy way i use to line up patterns sometimes. It's not perfect, but you could say it's a step in the right direction?

Ok I hope for any tools that I mention using, that they're in PSP7. I have PSP8, so hopefully not too many changes between the two.

Ok step one, create your pattern. I didn't find out until the end of making this tut, that this pattern didn't really lend itself well to showing that it lined up with itself. Anyway, I created this pattern at 512 x 512. And I usually work at the same resolution with the meshes too.

Next step, copying and applying your texture to your mesh. Obviously as a new layer. Grin But what I do is bring it about half way down so that the pattern actually hangs off the working area. That will become clear in the next few steps.

Now for easy deleting of extraneous areas around the mesh, I have a separate layer set up that I usually keep invisible. It's filled with black that only covers the mesh itself, and about 3-5 pixels outside the mesh boundaries. On this layer, I use the magic wand to select the blank area around the mesh and...

Then while the selection is active, I click on the layer that I have my pattern on, and press delete.

Now because my deletion layer actually extends to the very bottom of the working area, the pattern doesn't get cut off from the bit that's hanging outside that area. So selecting the deform tool while I'm on that layer...

I can easily copy and paste the entire pattern sans deleted area, onto the legs mesh.

Whereby I can then start moving the pattern layer up, and stretch it with the deform tool so that the edges of teh shirt line up with the proper lines on the leg mesh.

Then a quick upload to UVD shows...

Not ideal results. But like I said, the pattern I created didn't lend itself well to showing that it was lined up. And of course this only covers the front, the back is a little harder with that curve to the mesh at the base of the back. Also, I still go by trial and error a lot. Sometimes uploading up to six test versions until I have it just right.

I havent done these for a while but here is Zippers in 2 parts.

I get so many of you asking how to do stitching, here is how I like to do it. Layer it with some layerstyles and shapes to make awesome denim.

I have a new one...Ruffles!

will look forward for amazing new outfits!!

Loving

1 user thanked Loving_INTENSE for this useful post.
Cerezzaa on 4/7/2015(UTC)
Rand
#18 Posted : Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:29:03 PM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Aquatic_lover Go to Quoted Post

No, you don't want to add skin. Everybody's skin tone is different, so that simply won't work.

Since you mentioned the mens NS Long Sleeve TShirt... For men's New Style stuff there is essentially no transparency available for you to use. Stuff has to be the same shape as it is on the mesh/map. You can add more to it by using a coverage layer, but you can't take away texture.

For men's stuff especially, it becomes a process of using the meshes as they are, figuring out which little parts you can cut away to create a different form/lines, then incorporating Coverage Layers where needed.

Teaching yourself that is a long, drawn out learning process. That's why you'll here even established designers railing on about how much the male meshes suck. lmao

LazTopCat on 1/14/2015(UTC), _Gigglessmm_ on 3/22/2015(UTC)
_Gigglessmm_
#19 Posted : Sunday, March 22, 2015 7:25:09 PM(UTC)

Thank you so very much for the helpful replies now that I am back and ready to get designing again your help I am definetely appreciate huggss