Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
3 Pages<123
Curio/Flash - Important Information for all WEB3000/Q users/licensees
Ceka_Cianci
#41 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:17:09 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Viegoth Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Ceka_Cianci Go to Quoted Post
wouldn't the client work like a browser would on the internet..
that was the impression i was getting from brian..

if we look at the client as the browser and the world as the net..

we download the client not the net..

some sites are set up to use flash and some are not..
but the browser would be able to see all those sites..

so basically what i am understanding is you have old uthervers with all it's stuff and all those little sites in those sections of it that are like older websites..
a zabay is a virtual world or considered a site on the 3d internet..
it has it's own url..

all those older utherverse sites should be able to be seen with the new client..

where the client we have now would not be able to see the new curio sites..

the new curio sites may not be set up for flash, but that doesn't mean the new client won't be able to see flash from the older sites..

from a lot of what i've heard it is for the most part back ported to support the old world..

if that is the case it should be able to see anything in it..

from what i am gathering,with curio it will be more uploading content to a server than it will be having to link things to other sites for them to work..

sort of like it is done in second life..

you upload your textures and mesh and animations to an asset server rather than say textures sitting on photo bucket..

i could be way off,but a lot of what i have heard so far sounds pretty similar to other content creation worlds i'm part of that have content uploaded rather than linked through scripts..although they allow scripts to still do that in the others..

flash and textures in the current utherverse are more or less just linked from the url they are sitting on through the client to our system ..
if our flash player is not up to par we can't see flash..
if the server our textures are sitting on crashes and kills off the link..it kills off our being able to see the textures in world..
because we are actually linked through the client to those outside sites..

curio sounds to me like it will be eliminating a lot of the outside linking and handling more of the asset load itself..

again this is just me picking up pieces along the way like everyone else..but just seeing similarities in a many things..things that i think will be very nice for creators and users in the new world..
if i am close in my assumptions anyways hehehe

i could be 10 miles off and just spinning tires here as well lol

Curio is your browser. That much is right. But here's the snag. If your browser isn't capable of supporting the necessary plugins (Flash, WMP, etc) then if you load a URL for that type of content, you get nothing. And from what the devs are saying, this new browser (Curio) won't support the Flash plugin. Therefore if you try to view Flash with it, you won't see anything.

oh ok..
i thought it was in the new sections of the world that we would not be seeing it,at least for now..but could still see everything from the old world..

with the net the way it is now..who would build a browser that doesn't support flash? hehe

the internet lags to death because of all the flash on it..
just an avg blog gets bogged down from flash..

i miss the days of paying attention to load times of a web site..but that rule seems to have gone out the window nowadays..

Aaanyways.. i started to watch that town hall meeting video, but there was some crashing going on and some things that i was wanting to know got missed hehehe..so i just started to look around at other videos to see the direction brian was wanting to go in..

maybe by the time everything gets ported over from the old servers and network ,there will be flash in the curio client..

it could just be that it's not there right now.
Mr_Rasa_MM
#42 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 7:55:30 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Mr_Rasa_MM Go to Quoted Post
The optimist in me says that if they ARE relying on chrome (which thank friggin goodness if they are because its open source) then they could at least make it compatible on SOME platforms. Others wont be so lucky (iOS for instance.)

They aren't actually relying on Chrome. They are relying on Awesomium, which is a port of Chromium. Chrome is also a port of Chromium which Google took and made into something decent. Awesomium was developed by someone else (not nearly to the extent of what Google did with Chrome) as a browser module to be used in game development. Unfortunately, it is severely lacking in much of the compatibility that we find in Chrome.

It's kinda like saying they are relying on Ubuntu(Linux), when in reality they are relying on WebOS (a derivative of Linux). What it really comes down to is how far along Awesomium is when Curio is released, and whether or not Curio is using the latest version of it. Because at present, Awesomium doesn't support a lot of the cool things we will be depending on HTML5 for.

To put things into perspective... the current Utherverse client uses Internet Explorer (IE) to display web content in-world. But it's programmattically tied to the IE7 core. Which means that even if you have IE9, 10 or 11 installed on your computer, props in Utherverse are still using IE7. So it's not capable of displaying a lot of the cool stuff that IE11 can.

All I gotta say this for "Cutting-edge" technology -> Whistle

Links: My Tutorials | My Profile

Asteria Creations Website!

Asteria Creations on Facebook!

A wise man wrote:
Man I have seen some shit.

_Indis_ wrote:
Y U MAD BRO????
Candy4love_C2
#43 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 8:28:29 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Using flash in curio is like trying to put your 8 track tape into a blue ray player. Not gonna work.

PZWUMP_GJMC_Temp
#44 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:04:15 AM(UTC)

So that's why i cant play music on my blue ray lmao Cheesy Cheesy

Ceka_Cianci
#45 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 11:11:58 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Candy4love_C2 Go to Quoted Post
Using flash in curio is like trying to put your 8 track tape into a blue ray player. Not gonna work.

are you talking about the client or the engine?

i was talking about the client being able to see the flash in utherverse not the new area..
i mean if not then they won't be seeing a lot of content on the net from links in world anymore..
Viegoth
#46 Posted : Tuesday, December 24, 2013 2:00:02 PM(UTC)

Medals:

i was talking about the client being able to see the flash in utherverse not the new area..
i mean if not then they won't be seeing a lot of content on the net from links in world anymore..

Flash will not be available in Curio. Curio is both the client, and the system it is connected to. The 'engine' would be Unity3D, which isn't part of this discussion so we'll forget about that.

Regardless of where you go in Curio or what you do (legacy places, new places, etc.), you will be in Curio, using the Curio client. And Flash will not be available in the Curio client.

It's like this. Imagine if Firefox decided to stop supporting the Adobe Flash plugin. As long as you used Firefox, regardless where you went on the internet, you couldn't see any Flash on websites.

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein

VC Designs (Viegoth Customs)

Profile Message

-
2 users thanked Viegoth for this useful post.
Cretox on 12/24/2013(UTC), Ceka_Cianci on 12/25/2013(UTC)
Ceka_Cianci
#47 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 2:18:43 AM(UTC)

Flash will not be available in Curio. Curio is both the client, and the system it is connected to. The 'engine' would be Unity3D, which isn't part of this discussion so we'll forget about that.

Regardless of where you go in Curio or what you do (legacy places, new places, etc.), you will be in Curio, using the Curio client. And Flash will not be available in the Curio client.

It's like this. Imagine if Firefox decided to stop supporting the Adobe Flash plugin. As long as you used Firefox, regardless where you went on the internet, you couldn't see any Flash on websites.

ahh ok..that was part of what was confusing between the meeting and threads ive seen..
it to me sounded like there would be legacy servers side and curio servers..
hearing things like,"Once you enter into a curio area from a legacy, that even your avatar would change"..

like the client would be dealing with both and back ported support for the legacy..

i believe brians words were..Curios will give us what we have now and so much more.

the reason i had mentioned unity is because it supports flash and a lot more..so anything using it has the possibility rather than ,it just won't work..
i guess that is kind of why i didn't understand the 8 track,blueray scenario..

i guess i'm just wondering if the devs are saying it isn't going to be supported or it's just not being supported right now..
where when i hear brian talking it sounds like things are being supported by back porting.

Alpha stages in anything is always major confusions for me at first..hehehe

i think i'm just gonna do more reading than posting for a little bit on this..
i don't want to be adding to the confusion anymore than i have without having a more clear picture myself.. hehehehe
time for me to hit the net and dive into more specific research..

To the net mobile!! \o/
Smile

Naken_Draugr
#48 Posted : Wednesday, December 25, 2013 3:46:29 AM(UTC)

I remembered a UNews article from way back where the depth of scripting was described by Brian (note: he mentions video in that interview). It will be interesting to see how far in the last 2.5 years this has come along.
1 user thanked Naken_Draugr for this useful post.
Ceka_Cianci on 12/25/2013(UTC)
WEB3000
#49 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 10:27:33 AM(UTC)

Quick Update to our opening post:

After some intense brainstorming with our developers during the Christmas holidays, we think we have found a solution that will suit most of our current and future W3K/Q users, no matter what how the Unity3D/Curio environment will end up.

In addition we will take the systems to a level that they will be usable on several platforms, which includes: if you are also using other third party 3D world environment, you will end up with a system, that will stay usable without to run in additional (license) fee's.

We will provide hopefully more detailed and accurate information at a later time.

Until that date we will DO NOT provide any longer any systems to the current Utherverse platform / Prototerra engine, since the systems probably won´t be in any way supported that the systems stay functional.

If you like to transform your system in a windows desktop software, so you can keep it, contact [cm] support at http://support.crocon-media.com

After taking most systems now to a stand-alone application that runs inside your web browser or on your windows desktop, we currently see no reason to offer systems within UV.

Disclaimer: This release contains forward-looking statements, which address a variety of subjects including expectations. All statements other than statements of historical fact, including without limitation, those with respect to plans, expectations and strategies set forth herein are forward-looking statements. Several factors and uncertainties, among others, could cause actual results to differ from those described in the above forward-looking statements.
We do not undertake any obligation to update forward-looking statements made by us.