Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
2 Pages12>
Stairway Ramp Construction, the Easy (Tom & Indis) Way
B_Joe
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 6:56:14 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I'm learning prop editing, and I really struggled with stairway ramp construction. I googled the forum, and googled some more, running lots of experiments between googlings. After two weeks, I was unsuccessful trying to build a working single flight stairway to the second floor level (approximately 1000 y units above ground floor level.) Then I ran across Tom_H_Decorator and his partner _Indis_, of the Visual Identity deco firm. They straightened me out and showed me how to build perfect stairway ramps quickly, no muss, no fuss, and working the first time, every time.

First, Tom's blog:

Tom_H_Decorator's Profile

He's posted a 5-part installment covering some of his deco techniques. He covers stairway construction in part 2, I believe.

Indis furnished an alignment tool (below) that makes alignment ridiculously easy and completely goof proof.

In summary, based on Tom's method and _Indis_' alignment tool, here's the procedure I worked out to build multi-flight stairways.

1. Use the Court Floor prop, texture double-sided, collidable on.

2. Start with a sloped ramp starting with the court floor's collision zone (NOT the court floor itself!) just beneath floor level. Set the length of the court floor section to whatever's appropriate to get to your desired level. (I build and place my horizontal landiing, just to use as a target, and adjust the length of the sloping court floor to match. A bit of cut-and-try is required but you can slightly vary the amount you sink the sloping section's collision zone beneath the floor to ease the task.

For a 1-story ramp that meets a horizontal landing y=1000 above the floor level, I used a Court Floor section scaled on the X dimension at 2.50, sloped upward at 30 degrees, and placed 328 y units above floor level.

3. Proper alignment requires you to see the collision zones for both the slope and the landing at the same time.

Here's Tom's method:

a. Lock all open prop editor objects.

b. Right-click the landing, select Properties, then CLICK ON THE PROP EDITOR WINDOW. Don't click on the Properties choice itself; just hover the mouse over it. If you've done it right, you'll see the landing's red collision zone outlines. Those outlines will continue to be visible as you select and work with other props. In fact, you must close the prop editor to make them go away.

2. Attach _Indis_' tool to a Sign 01 prop. Move it so the landing's TOP red collision zone outline is exactly at the center of the tool.

3. Select the sloping section, then click Place. Watching the alignment tool, move the sloping section until it's TOP collision zone outline is also exactly at the center of the alignment tool.

That's it! You've built a single flight stairway ramp as easy as that. Test it by walking up and down a few times just to ensure that there are no glitches you need to jump over, or holes you fall through.

Building a ramp that slopes up from the landing requires a slightly different alignment. Here's the method I worked out:

1. Select the landing again, as you did before. Move the alignment tool until the landing's BOTTOM collision zone outline is centered.

2. Select the sloping section that will continue your stairway upward from the landing. Move it until the edge of the court floor, NOT ITS COLLISION ZONE, is centered in the alignment tool.

That completes the riser from the first landing.

For my own stairway ramp, my second flight sloping section consisted of another court floor prop scaled 2.00 on the x dimension, tilted upward at 30 degrees, and placed 1478 y units above the ground floor level.

Finally, you want to place another landing at the top of the second flight riser. Use the same procedure you did to connect the first riser to the first flight; align the TOP red collison zone outlines using _Indis_' tool.

Test your stairway ramp by walking up and down both flights to assure yourself that your stairway will work perfectly. Once it is, you can skin the stairway with pretty stairs and railings, then set the court floor props to Invisible.

Notice that your two-flight structure contains all the pieces you need to build any conceivable staircase. With nothing more than cloning, changing y-axis angles by 90 degrees and alignment with Indis' tool using the mehods above, you can build anything from a grand balustrade for your mansion's entryway to a many-story stairway with a central well for an apartment building, hotel, club, or other building.

Hope this procedure helps you build any stairway ramp structure you need. No more elevators! Smile

Many, many thanks to Tom_H_Decorator and _Indis_. They have been a tremendous help, not only with the development of this procedure, but helping me to solve many other prop editing problems. They have been incredibly kind and patient with this newcomer.

Have fun!

Joe

11 users thanked B_Joe for this useful post.
_Indis_ on 3/22/2012(UTC), Yuufa on 3/22/2012(UTC), EleanorSCT on 3/22/2012(UTC), Madam_Silence on 3/22/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 3/24/2012(UTC), Julea_Dream on 4/5/2013(UTC), RheaLynn on 12/18/2013(UTC), Fina_Tina on 12/21/2013(UTC), DurtyJay on 10/19/2015(UTC), divingA_WnC on 3/27/2016(UTC), Mike_Kas on 4/3/2021(UTC)
SLUZETTE_AP
#2 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:24:56 AM(UTC)

There is an easier way than that to do it Smile
mysterylilac
#3 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:31:27 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: SLUZETTE_AP Go to Quoted Post

And what is it if you don't mind to tell?
mysterylilac
#4 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:34:29 AM(UTC)

I am using a similar method as Tom and Indis just instead of alligment tool I am using a simple wall prop as a ruler to allign the joints .
2 users thanked mysterylilac for this useful post.
_Indis_ on 3/22/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 3/24/2012(UTC)
Heru_Gothmog_DTF
#5 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:37:05 AM(UTC)

And?????
SLUZETTE_AP
#6 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:49:00 AM(UTC)

I only use flat planes. I set the upper plane first. then if make the angled one. then you will need to close prop edit and reopen. next on the upper plane arrnge it it in your screen so you can clide your cursor over it and end up on edit window. this will keep red lasers on. next click the angled one and match top red lasers exactly.
1 user thanked SLUZETTE_AP for this useful post.
__Autumn__ on 3/24/2012(UTC)
Flybyebye
#7 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:52:51 AM(UTC)

There are various ways and indeed different props that different people find best for them to use for both floors and ramps. I don't find that I need to use any alignment tool or prop to simply achieve the correct result but others may.

I think that the system that Tom and Indis have supplied should help members greatly. Then they may go on to develop their own systems from it based on the experience gained using this method.

Well done.

Click the banner for more deails
5 users thanked Flybyebye for this useful post.
_Indis_ on 3/22/2012(UTC), EleanorSCT on 3/22/2012(UTC), Massus on 3/22/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 3/24/2012(UTC), DurtyJay on 1/28/2016(UTC)
Candy4love_C2
#8 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:59:18 AM(UTC)

Medals:
I also use the method sluzettet described. I learned this in a class from sifupeter. It is very fast and efficient without the need for additional props.

1 user thanked Candy4love_C2 for this useful post.
SifuPeter on 4/14/2013(UTC)
_Indis_
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:00:29 AM(UTC)

Neither Tom nor I use the tool ourselves. But we have found that for newcomers and people just learning stairs it's invaluable and makes things simple for them until they don't need it anymore.

Thanks Joe Embarassed

Smile
5 users thanked _Indis_ for this useful post.
EleanorSCT on 3/22/2012(UTC), Flybyebye on 3/22/2012(UTC), Madam_Silence on 3/22/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 3/24/2012(UTC), SifuPeter on 4/14/2013(UTC)
EleanorSCT
#10 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:05:06 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: _Indis_ Go to Quoted Post

Neither Tom nor I use the tool ourselves. But we have found that for newcomers and people just learning stairs it's invaluable and makes things simple for them until they don't need it anymore.

Thanks Joe Embarassed

Smile

Blushing oh my, unexpected Joe. As Indis said, we don't use the extra props ourselves, but hope the blog helps and all that.
3 users thanked EleanorSCT for this useful post.
_Indis_ on 3/22/2012(UTC), Madam_Silence on 3/22/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 3/24/2012(UTC)
Lady_K_PH
#11 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 8:07:28 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: _Candy4love Go to Quoted Post
I also use the method sluzettet described. I learned this in a class from sifupeter. It is very fast and efficient without the need for additional props.

Ahhhhh so did I Candy, a lil over 2 years ago....great way!!
vww://utherverse.vww/@7822/kdesignsinc
"When your sense of pleasure & satisfaction r derived from opinions of other ppl, you r no longer the master of ur own happiness"

1 user thanked Lady_K_PH for this useful post.
SifuPeter on 4/14/2013(UTC)
Anna7
#12 Posted : Friday, March 23, 2012 1:22:01 PM(UTC)

i just use my eye, tools a good idea for newbees and oldies for that matter

and you can use planes and even fishtankglass(not recommended but possible) top instead of court room sure there others you can use

maybe would be useful for some one to post tips on seating on planes and floors in this thread as well as seating on an elevated floor generally next head ach after getting the stairs working
Photobucket can go and get F#$%#D i dont deal with extortionists

4 users thanked Anna7 for this useful post.
Flybyebye on 3/23/2012(UTC), _Indis_ on 3/23/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 3/24/2012(UTC), EleanorSCT on 12/14/2013(UTC)
Heru_Gothmog_DTF
#13 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 1:41:07 AM(UTC)

On an elevated floor you need to use the "2 seat" script and make sure that your avatar rises up when you go to sit. This will not work with all chairs however, If you still have trouble with falling through the floor then place a Seat panel on the seat of the chair and put the "2 seat" script on this. Check that you will sit facing the correct way. If needed rotate the panel.
2 users thanked Heru_Gothmog_DTF for this useful post.
__Autumn__ on 3/24/2012(UTC), Anna7 on 4/14/2012(UTC)
Christine_x
#14 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 1:56:13 AM(UTC)

I have always used the hotel chair as it works every time and simply adjusted scale etc of those chairs that don't function, then made invisible, the seat panel is fine but not quite so easy to line up first go every time.
3 users thanked Christine_x for this useful post.
_Indis_ on 3/24/2012(UTC), __Autumn__ on 3/24/2012(UTC), Heru_Gothmog_DTF on 3/25/2012(UTC)
Flybyebye
#15 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:12:21 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Christine_x Go to Quoted Post
I have always used the hotel chair as it works every time and simply adjusted scale etc of those chairs that don't function, then made invisible, the seat panel is fine but not quite so easy to line up first go every time.

I was always told that a seat panel was best to use because it created less lag than using a prop like the hotel chair but really I don't know if that is true or just an old wives tale.

Click the banner for more deails
__Autumn__
#16 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:21:39 AM(UTC)

Medals:
On the chair be sure that the legs of the chair (that takes the seat 2 script) are not inside the plane or it will not work. Lower to just above it.

Click to go to profile
Click to go to showroom

Click banner to go to site.
2 users thanked __Autumn__ for this useful post.
B_Joe on 3/24/2012(UTC), Heru_Gothmog_DTF on 3/25/2012(UTC)
Christine_x
#17 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 3:47:05 AM(UTC)

Originally Posted by: Flybyebye Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Christine_x Go to Quoted Post

I was always told that a seat panel was best to use because it created less lag than using a prop like the hotel chair but really I don't know if that is true or just an old wives tale.

Personally I don't think there is any difference what ever you use whilst the prop is in its basic state, I have used both and it never made the slightest difference.

Also the hotel chair makes setting up seating for stools a simple exercise for lining up your court floor or plane below its legs.
Mr_dwskwared_Mad
#18 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 4:44:58 AM(UTC)

Great thread. This should be a great help. I know that peter helped us a lot when it came to stairs and planes, but the protractor is a great method.
3 users thanked Mr_dwskwared_Mad for this useful post.
_Indis_ on 3/24/2012(UTC), SifuPeter on 4/14/2013(UTC), EleanorSCT on 7/24/2013(UTC)
Todd73NJ
#19 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 7:22:17 AM(UTC)

I am using even a simpler method to do this than all of you!

Just send rays to someone to do it for me Smile
1 user thanked Todd73NJ for this useful post.
Sigmilla on 11/26/2012(UTC)
Blazen_Beauty
#20 Posted : Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:37:52 AM(UTC)

good tutorial but when your making stairs in unbounded properties and not using rlc coded floors things get trickier thanks to rlc problems