Welcome Guest! To enable all features please try to register or login.
Saving during deco work
divingA_WnC
#1 Posted : Friday, May 05, 2023 7:42:08 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Hello dear community members,

Today I have a question for you, especially for those of you who are really good at all the processes involved in deco work.

Let's assume for a moment that you have a lot of time, a whole day, and you want to work on a new project all day. The work goes well for you because you are rested, but you eventually get to the point where you think:

"Damn, I've been working here for XX hours, so damn much has been done now, I should really save everything now, just to be sure. After that I can continue with ... whatever".

How do you proceed then? How do you save your work in the meantime so that you are always on the safe side?

Thank you in advance for any helpful answers,

Have a good weekend, savour the spring,

divingA

He who does not submit to the laws, must leave the area where they apply. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
Channy
#2 Posted : Friday, May 05, 2023 8:43:17 AM(UTC)

Medals:
Always make a habbit of closing your prop, then reopen it, this saves the work you done so far...if you crash you can loose all your work since you opened prop editor if you have it open..closing and opening makes this less of a pain.
Our showroom:

vww://utherverse.vww/@141443/showroom
3 users thanked Channy for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 5/5/2023(UTC), BB_Licious on 5/7/2023(UTC), Anhton_Novo on 10/27/2023(UTC)
ByPerseus_Design
#3 Posted : Friday, May 05, 2023 12:37:52 PM(UTC)

Medals:
I have the habit of closing the editor every half hour to make sure I don't have any problems. And when I close the deco for the day, I save a version of the layout with the date.

LINK TO SHOWROOM (LAYOUT) ===>>>>> vww://utherverse.vww/@1711585
LINK TO STORE (FURNITURE) ===>>>>> vww://utherverse.vww/@181491/furniture_showroom
LINK TO HOUSE OF PERSEUS (FASHION DESIGN) ===>>>>> vww://utherverse.vww/@142629/maison#entrance
MY CLOTHING CATALOGUE ====>>>>> https://www.utherverse.c...earch.aspx?mid=104451832
MY RADIO STATION - ATLANTIS MUSIC HALL ====>>>>> https://byperseus.wixsite.com/radio

2 users thanked ByPerseus_Design for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 5/5/2023(UTC), BB_Licious on 5/7/2023(UTC)
divingA_WnC
#4 Posted : Friday, May 05, 2023 9:13:47 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Hello everyone,

hello Channy, hello Perseus,

Thank you for both your answers. However, I must admit that I am now a little confused. Is that really all that needs to be done?

Maybe my knowledge is a bit outdated, but it could also be that RLC/UV has taken another developmental step forward unnoticed by me. I certainly don't want to rule that out.

But somehow I still have a somewhat more complicated procedure in mind. After all, I read the following note in the Layouts sub-tab:

Quote:
NOTE: You MUST log out of the 3D client to ensure that your current changes are saved BEFORE you save the current layout. Otherwise, you may be saving your layout as it was before you started editing!

What you are advising me to do is exactly what I do very often, but recently I have noticed that I have lost one or two changes now and then.

Hence my question. Perhaps one or two other users can be found who have something to contribute to the topic.

Have a nice weekend, divingA

He who does not submit to the laws, must leave the area where they apply. (Johann Wolfgang von Goethe)
Dial_Tone
#5 Posted : Friday, May 05, 2023 9:30:48 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Saving a prop saves the changes to that prop and sends those changes the server.

Closing the prop editor also does this for all open props and clears all editing flags.

Re-opening the prop editor reloads all of the props and their settings within a given property.

Saving each prop after editing (clicking the lock symbol) is all you need to do to save the changes to that prop.

You should periodically close the prop editor and reopen it to refresh the prop list and reset any editing flags.

-DT
"The cavalry ain't comin' until the man with the radio tells 'em to." - Dial Tone

Send Profile Message

3 users thanked Dial_Tone for this useful post.
divingA_WnC on 5/6/2023(UTC), Never_Lost on 5/6/2023(UTC), BB_Licious on 5/7/2023(UTC)
ASultryWmn
#6 Posted : Saturday, May 06, 2023 3:27:05 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Dial_Tone Go to Quoted Post
Saving a prop saves the changes to that prop and sends those changes the server.

Closing the prop editor also does this for all open props and clears all editing flags.

Re-opening the prop editor reloads all of the props and their settings within a given property.

Saving each prop after editing (clicking the lock symbol) is all you need to do to save the changes to that prop.

You should periodically close the prop editor and reopen it to refresh the prop list and reset any editing flags.

-DT

I like using F5. I do it often as it is very fast and gives me a fresh start. I use F5 many times after just moving or adding a couple of things, reason for that is I may pop out to grab something without closing the editor and Bam everything is gone when I return.Using F5 is a sure save for me. I also save my layouts in percentages until I reach 100% completed.
BB_Licious
#7 Posted : Sunday, May 07, 2023 5:53:36 PM(UTC)

Medals:
All the steps I take to save my work have already been mentioned, but for what it's worth, these are the things I do:

-- Make a practice of releasing the prop (clicking the lock symbol) after editing it,
-- Closing prop editor periodically,
-- At the end of the day/night (if I'm done working on it for that day), I always do a "safe save". That is, I save it as a
layout and label it the name of the layout plus "Safe Save", so I know that once it's done, I can delete the "safe save" version.
I try and do this daily. Yes, it's a pain but less of one than if you have to redo your work.

Diving, the instructions you pasted from the layouts tab...I do believe those are outdated but have never been removed. It's not
necessary any longer to log out then back in before or after saving.
Damn you, Addamant, for turning me into a forum whore! *shakes fist*

_Monk_: What does BB stand for?
_Monk_: Ball busting? hehehehe

2 users thanked BB_Licious for this useful post.
Anhton_Novo on 5/7/2023(UTC), divingA_WnC on 5/7/2023(UTC)
divingA_WnC
#8 Posted : Sunday, May 07, 2023 10:43:33 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Originally Posted by: Dial_Tone Go to Quoted Post

-DT

Hello Dial_Tone,

okay, thank you for clearing this to me, so my knowledge was somewhat out of date.

Looking at your position, I finally know where I stand and what I have to do in the future to be on the safe side after the decoration work is done.

Originally Posted by: BB_Licious Go to Quoted Post
All the steps I take to save my work have already been mentioned, but for what it's worth, these are the things I do:

-- Make a practice of releasing the prop (clicking the lock symbol) after editing it,
-- Closing prop editor periodically,
-- At the end of the day/night (if I'm done working on it for that day), I always do a "safe save". That is, I save it as a
layout and label it the name of the layout plus "Safe Save", so I know that once it's done, I can delete the "safe save" version.
I try and do this daily. Yes, it's a pain but less of one than if you have to redo your work.

Diving, the instructions you pasted from the layouts tab...I do believe those are outdated but have never been removed. It's not
necessary any longer to log out then back in before or after saving.

Hello BB_Licious,

apart from the naming, your way is exactly the way i've always gone so far, in between closing and reopening the prop editor every now and then after all the edited props have been closed.

If there were a lot of changes, such as on days when I have a lot of time and the decoration work just slips through my hands and goes really fast, then I have always granted myself the luxury of going somewhere else at short notice, saving the layout, always with a consecutive number, and then applying it directly.

Then I would go back again to continue working.

Thank you all for your helpful answers and yes, obviously the still readable note on the layout page is obsolete. But I'd rather know exactly than just believe it, to jokingly say it with my instructor: "Sweetheart, the churches are responsible for questions of faith, in nursing you have to know something, believing something may not be enough." Grin

Stay safe and be well you all, divingA

divingA_WnC
#9 Posted : Sunday, May 07, 2023 11:07:31 PM(UTC)

Medals:
Hello again everyone,

Well, what can I say now? I just went back to my new project. I have strictly adhered to the working methods suggested above, which actually do not differ much from my usual way of working, except for the fact that I used to go somewhere else to save the layout with a new consecutive number and then apply it.

I spared myself the latter tonight. And now? What can I say? Confused

All the new things like a car and two special flower pots as well as a special part of the motorbike prop, i.e. a total of 17 newly added props + a prop with a different height have ... OhMyGod

disappeared Shocked ... nowhere to be found or seen Sad .

It's not a problem for me, I know what I've done and can quickly put things right, but I think I'll go back to my old habit after all. Rolleyes

Stay safe and be well you all, have all better luck than I had tonight, divingA